Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Choosing a tattooer?

Ex Mod
    Blog Entries

Choosing a tattooer?

How did/do you choose a tattooer? Is it based on word of mouth? Internet research? Magazines or articles? Walking into a local shop and looking through the books or the shop helpers recommendations? Or ?????????

Also what was your experience based on your method of choosing?

Contributor Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Magazines have played a huge roll in letting me know who was out there.
    I guess they still do. Internet, especially social network sites, help spread the word a lot quicker these days

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Interwebz, shop books, word of mouth, and friends hooking it up. I still stand by shop books/portfolios being my favorite indicator (and you get a feel for the vibe of the place that way too.)

in a very very tiny town in Saxony,Germany
    Images

Re: Choosing a tattooer?

When i choose a tattooer i think about what i wanna get and in which style i wanna get it.then i search the internet for a tattooer which style i like and who i think makes the best job for my tattoo.I also take a look on their flash and drawings because there are tattooers who can just copy things but are not able to draw well.So looking on their flash shows what they really like to do.

Blog Entries

I think traveling is a great quality behind a tattoo artist. Not just statewide, I mean like global travel. Also, the internet has played a huge part in choosing a great artist. Its so easy for them to get their work out for people to see... But I just like some one who likes to joke around and is serious enough to do a good job, but likes to have fun...

I feel like I'm editing a match.com profile right now.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

At this point, I've got a steadily growing list of tattooers I'd like to get work from.. I'd say half magazines/interviews/internet and half word of mouth. Seems a lot of it is in conversation or an interview when someone tosses out names and I might not know a name so I'll go try to do some research in books/internet/magazines.

But a good attitude is what makes me want to keep going back. My first big tattoo was done by Dave Wallin. It was snowing and near closing time and he wasn't at the shop, so the owner called him up, Dave came down, talked to me and wasn't a prick, drew up a sketch and we put on the outline. Five years later, Dave's done a bunch of my tattoos, I worked in his shop and while I had to give it up for my day job, I still help out on wknds scrubbing tubes. A good attitude can make you wanna do that.

Ex Mod
    Blog Entries

Has anyone read this thread on Traveling for a Tattoo Shop?

I know more people on here choose who they get tattooed by looking at Mario Desa's blog on tattooers and it being so hot but why so silent in this thread?
    Mario Desa Tattooer Blog

Ex-Lurker
    Let It Bleed Tattoo (S.F., CA)(L.A., CA) Invisible NYC (Lower East Side, NY)
    Blog Entries
    Images

The reasons why in no particular order Lochlan... At first I got tattooed because I thought they were "RAD"... Then as I started apprenticing I got tattooed by artist with unique styles so I could try to learn... I really owe that reason because of Nick Rodin and Cody Miller said it was a good way too... Unfortunately I am way into art and have too many influences just stick to one genre of tattooing... Jack of all trades and a master of none... Pretty much sums up my style of tattooing as well... As I got more tattoos and started getting larger pieces I started choosing artist that have a good positive outlook and/or vibe like Chris Conn, Scott Slyvia, Jeff Rassier and Small Paul Stottler... I feel it easier to be tattooed by people who are in that mind frame... Not too mention you get stuck with them over longer periods of time ... However I do need to mention that Jason McAffee and Juan Puente have done quite a few tattoos on me over the years as well which would equal a very large amount of space due to the same reason... I also think the Southern California influence really stood out more in them as well as there work... Ironically they both are in the Bay... Might be because there seems to be less stress and drama up there... Overall I like what I like regardless of what anyone else thinks... All in all I am glad with my decisions and look forward to having a few more to fill in the gaps... Overall they are all just moments/memories we get to take with us...

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I'd boil it down to a combination of style and attitude. A tattooer's work to get me in the door and how well we get along to keep me coming back. Trouble is, there are so many I still want to get work from it can be tough!

Contributor Contest Winner AlannaCA's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Images

I asked a heavily tattooed co-worker for some good reccomendations on female tattoo artist in Toronto and thats how i ended up at Speakeasy. before going in person to make my appointment i did as much research online as i could to make sure i really wanted to go to that shop. once i was there( as nervouse as i was) the vibe of the shop really resonated with me and i knew that it was the right place.

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast

Support LST!