Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 344041424344 4546474854 ... LastLast
Like Tree466Likes

Thread: Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

Champion Site Supporter
    Blog Entries

Re: Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by kylegrey View Post
    Rory I think in part its the balance of Oxygen changing due to the deep heavy breathing and part psychological cause once you reach 7-8 sets the notion of doing 3 more seems like a cake walk !
    I assume that you are referencing GVT here. The reason I never liked GVT is because I feel like you shouldn't want to or think you can do anything else after 2-4 working sets. In my opinion(which may or may not matter), real gains are made when you physically can not move another ounce after 2-4 sets. If you can do another set...you didn't go heavy enough. /2cents

Edit: On a side not, I have known people to like GVT for a little training variation. I personally don't care for it, but I can't deny that it works well for some purposes.

Blog Entries
    Images

@Brock Varty Having been also a strong subscriber to the Heavy Duty school of thought GVT was completely foreign to me . However as I was trying a more strength / power type approach I needed some way to allow my lower back full recovery from both heavy squats and deads in the same week and after lifting close on 25 years consider my joints and the possibility of injury whilst freshening up my CNS . Now I'm of the opinion that legs respond not to low numbers but high reps so naturally I would implement this programme on my leg day .Heres the kicker , after humble beginnings and six weeks of GVT I've made more strength gains in my 6 rep squat than on any conventional lifting programme i.e 5,3,1 ,linear periodization etc,etc .It not surprising that this is an off-season favourite of weightlifters worldwide and also my weight has stayed constant which for me is great cause I'm not after hypertrophy .

Champion Site Supporter
    Blog Entries

@Brock Varty Having been also a strong subscriber to the Heavy Duty school of thought GVT was completely foreign to me . However as I was trying a more strength / power type approach I needed some way to allow my lower back full recovery from both heavy squats and deads in the same week and after lifting close on 25 years consider my joints and the possibility of injury whilst freshening up my CNS . Now I'm of the opinion that legs respond not to low numbers but high reps so naturally I would implement this programme on my leg day .Heres the kicker , after humble beginnings and six weeks of GVT I've made more strength gains in my 6 rep squat than on any conventional lifting programme i.e 5,3,1 ,linear periodization etc,etc .It not surprising that this is an off-season favourite of weightlifters worldwide and also my weight has stayed constant which for me is great cause I'm not after hypertrophy .
    The weight stabilization is something that may or may not break GVT for some people. Most of the training that I take part in and that happens with the people I know is for bodybuilding purposes. So, I know some of my friends and people in the gym like GVT...but most of them prefer something like cutting their working weight by 50% and increasing reps by 50%. I actually would kind of like to give GVT another try. As of right now I am in the last part of a very heavy phase and would be thinking about 4-6 weeks of something different and then one full week off. I am going to ask around on what people prefer to do for a routine mix-up.

If anyone has a good GVT resource...I would love to see it.

I actually usually use a variation of the Heavy Duty system. When I am coming out of that I usually utilize a six week block of time like this.

Week 1: Linear Periodization
    Week 2: Reverse Linear Periodization
    Week 3: Undulating Periodization
    Week 4: Linear Periodization
    Week 5: Reverse Linear Periodization
    Week 6: Undulation Periodization

I sometime like to use a combination of the three in the same week...sometimes even in the same workout.

I thought I should add that I am only 25. Being that young enables me to work really hard in the weight room 5 or 6 days a week. My sleep cycle and diet are both in check and I feel like my nutrition is doing really good. Going anything less than balls out almost makes me feel like I am throwing away all of my non-Gym effort.

Blog Entries
    Images

@Brock Varty I should clarify that I literally will myself not to get bigger and also to avoid the chagrin of my wife , and also I only implemented GVT on my legs , for most GVT is ideally a programme for increasing muscle mass .

Take a look
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

Champion Site Supporter
    Blog Entries

@Brock Varty I should clarify that I literally will myself not to get bigger and also to avoid the chagrin of my wife , and also I only implemented GVT on my legs , for most GVT is ideally a programme for increasing muscle mass .

Take a look
    Bodybuilding.com - German Volume Training!
    Thanks a bunch for the link. I am going to take a closer look at GVT when I switch up my program.

Images

@Brock Varty I should clarify that I literally will myself not to get bigger and also to avoid the chagrin of my wife , and also I only implemented GVT on my legs , for most GVT is ideally a programme for increasing muscle mass .....
    GVT is pretty sick shti.... not for the casual BB dabbler. I'm a bit beat up now with the back injury, but will still superset on those rare good days. My wife doesn't care how big I get, I just went to an XXL dress shirt. You can't go wrong working GVT on legs, most guys sort of pass them up.

Rob
    I consider myself as an idiot-savant, but without the savant part....

Champion Site Supporter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colored Guy View Post
    GVT is pretty sick shti.... not for the casual BB dabbler. I'm a bit beat up now with the back injury, but will still superset on those rare good days. My wife doesn't care how big I get, I just went to an XXL dress shirt. You can't go wrong working GVT on legs, most guys sort of pass them up.

Rob
    I started building my next six weeks of schedule and am working in GVT on legs every other week. If you go heavy enough on legs, high volume can be hell, I have thrown up once or twice doing 30+ rep sets of squats. As long as you can maintain your form, high reps is good sometimes.

Does anyone have a particular GVT set-up they like for legs?
    hogg likes this.

Hero Site Supporter
    Contest Winner

Blog Entries
    Images

@Brock Varty I like front squats 10x10 to keep form also not GVT but love 2 minute leg press sets @225(~150-200 reps) after single leg rear foot elevated squats(usually 5x5).
    I feel I have better tattoos than I deserve.
    Thanks everybody

Champion Site Supporter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    @Brock Varty I like front squats 10x10 to keep form also not GVT but love 2 minute leg press sets @225(~150-200 reps) after single leg rear foot elevated squats(usually 5x5).
    Front squats are probably the most overlooked leg excersise ever. They can be brutal. I like the idea of front squat 10x10s....

Blog Entries
    Images

The essence of GVT is beautiful simplicity I would suggest , particulary for a low volume person starting the programme , not getting too "cute " with the exercises and sticking with the most basic compounds movements possible - you'll be gratefull for any assistance from ancillary muscles you can get .