Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 66 1 23451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree475Likes

Thread: Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

Blog Entries
    Images

Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

Whats your current routine or training tips to fill out those sleeves ?
    RoryQ, Ursula and Duffa like this.

Images

Re: Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

Excellent thread idea. This area is my forte. I'll put it out there that if anyone has any questions about exercise and nutrition, I'll be glad to help out.

I've been a student of Wendler's 531 for about 3 years, but now I prescribe to the Juggernaut System because of its higher volume and inclusion of sprinting. I don't know how many people are as serious about lifting as I am, so I imagine that that flew over a lot of people's heads. Let's say I lift for strength with a side dose of hypertrophy based on percentages of a 1 rep max. I am a strength sports enthusiast.

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Reverse pyramid with utilizing the four basic compound exercises (I call them the Core). I do a workout, then one rest day, with the exception of legs and back, where I rest two days. I supp creatine, whey protein, and alot of food

Legs:
    Squat- 3 sets @ 4/5/6 reps starting with heaviest
    Leg Extension 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Calf Raise 3 sets 5/6/7

Chest:
    Benchpress- 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Incline Benchpress- 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Cable Flies- 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Back/bi:
    Deadlift 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Bent Row 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Weighted Pull-up 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Shoulders/tri:
    Military Press 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Shrugs 3 sets @ 4/5/6
    Lateral dumbbell raises 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Images

At the moment I'm easing back into training after a lay-off due to a neck injury with a simple upper / lower body split based around DB benching, bodyweight exercises and a lot of single-leg exercises like rear leg elevated split squats and single leg squats. A lot of mobility work, a lot of prehab/rehab with bands and light weights. Ramping up back into normal training although I don't think I'll be going back to BJJ any time soon.

As time has passed I have made progress using various programmes and approaches, and I'm inclined to agree with Dan John ( Dan John, Lifting and Throws Coach - great coach ) when he says 'everything works [for a while]'.

The caveat I would add is that you can also injure yourself or self-limit your progress dramatically by trying to implement the wrong programme, having poor technique, screwing up your diet, not sleeping enough yadda yadda yadda.

I think, if I were going to go back in time and start all over again, I would begin from the ground up in this way:-

1. I would learn how to begin my training with a proper dynamic warm-up. A joint mobility warm-up from the likes of Mike Boyle ( Strength Coach.com | Strength and Conditioning | Sports Training ) that will ensure I had the joint mobility where I needed it, and the joint stability where I needed it. Some folks need a more stable lower back ... Some people need to loosen up their hips. Neglecting something can lead to an injury down the road, or limit your lifts.

2. I'd either find a good coach or I'd pick a classic strength programme that has worked for thousands of other people in my shoes. I'm talking Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, or Bill Starr's 5X5 or Joe Difranco's WS4SB. Something that is there in black and white, with nothing exotic that is time-tested and well-regarded by shitloads of smarter people than you. Typically what they all have in common is lots of the fundamentals : A horizontal push, a horizontal pull, a vertical push, a vertical pull, some shoulder work, some posterior chain stuff and big knee-dominant squat variation. Most of the programmes I mentioned there are good all-round strength programmes that will put a bit of mass on a novice or intermediate trainee. If I wanted to go for more hypertrophy and mass gain I'd maybe consider something like Poloquin's German Volume Training. If I were just looking to compete in power lifting or oly lifting I'd get a proper coach and maybe follow a Westside or Mike Burgener / Greg Everett programme. Basically, I'd follow the track already well-worn by proven programmes and coaches.

3. I'd perfect my technique and make sure I was moving well with sub maximal weights before I started to try and get strong. I've added weight on top of poor movement patterns and the result is always fucked up. Less weight, executed perfectly = the foundation to add weight safely later and more progress in the long run.

4. I'd eat better. 2g of protein for every kg of bodyweight minimum. I'd watch my carbs and I'd eat more fat than 'most people' think is a good idea instead. For me I think the stuff the likes of Robb Wolfe and Mark Sisson have written about eating the way our paleolithic ancestores ate makes sense to me, but your mileage may vary. It's a pretty good way to strip fat off, but if you're a powerlifter or bodybuilder I think you need to eat a little dirty to get the necessary calories to pack on muscle.

5. I'd try and sleep 8 hours a day, which is unworkable in my current job. I'd take my rest days seriously and not bike, run, do a martial arts class... I'd rest and let my body do its job and adapt to the training I was doing the rest of the week.

6. I'd study the fuck out of articles and books about sports injuries and try and figure out ways to avoid common issues people have, again and again, like knee problems and rotator cuff problems. I'd do things like make sure my pressing to pulling ratio (say, bench to pullup) exercise ratio was at least 1:1 in my programming, and more like 1:2 if I were feeling twinges in my shoulder. If I had bad knees I'd do single leg work to bullet-proof them before things went south. If I had a bad back I would do core work and chuck out anything that heavily compressed it (like back squats, deadlifts) for a while. Education = good. So is having the number of a good physio with a proven tack record.

7. For fat loss and conditioning I think once your diet is right the best approach is old school : Carries, drags, pushes, bodyweight circuits, sprints / shuttle runs, kettlebells ... Anaerobic > long slow distance work most of the time, IMO.

I reckon that's most of my philosophy:-

1. Learn enough not to get injured.

2. Pick the right programme for you and implement it properly.

3. If it goes wrong go to a professional and let them fix you.

And repeat until you're put in a box and buried.

Whenever I read one of those news cuttings about some curmudgeonly old veteran who is still working out at 80 and puts some teenage mugger in hospital with his cane, I think - 'I want to be that guy when I'm that age'.

Hero Site Supporter
    Contest Winner

Blog Entries
    Images

i workout tuesday and thursday usually with a pro fighter so I try to keep one or two power moves(ie deadlifts,squats,heavy hip thrusts,heavy banded or chain db presses etc) Then we focus on endurance strength for the next 1hr or more. pull ups, trx circuits, tobatas, ranger challenge,plyo pushups, blah blah blah. We dont train for hypertrophy at all, All go no show.

@RoryQ mike is a cool guy, he is a friend and business associate of one of my training partners here in norman ok
    RoryQ and Kev like this.
    I feel I have better tattoos than I deserve.
    Thanks everybody

North Florida, it's true here, the further north you go in Florida, the further South you are in USA

Might be of interest:

Starting Strength

edit: as @RoryQ mentioned in his post.

Blog Entries

Im all about my GORUCK training right now. Running 6-8 miles with 4-5 bricks in my bag then doing push-ups, pull ups, sit ups, flutters, Burpees, bear crawls... and drinking beer for good measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBlazeAlot View Post
    peacethefuckkouttthomosss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cu_Bu View Post
    @RoryQ mike is a cool guy, he is a friend and business associate of one of my training partners here in norman ok
    I've been reading his articles on T-Nation for a while, and I used single leg exercises to rehab an MCL strain last year ... But I don't think I really started appreciating how smart he is until I bought 'Advances in Functional Training' and read the whole thing. Great resource - really information intensive.

It's screwed up but for me the biggest catalyst to properly investigate developments in training is usually related to injury. Until I learn the hard way I just don't learn properly...

BTW, unrelated, but this is a fun site http://www.70sbig.com/
    kylegrey and Kev like this.

Hero Site Supporter
    Contest Winner

Blog Entries
    Images

@RoryQ i dont frequent the online training forums, Is DR Locke still writing for T-nation? He has come in for some presentations in the past.
    I feel I have better tattoos than I deserve.
    Thanks everybody

Kev
    Champion Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

I did paleo for a few months-cut deep, but couldn't get any sort of gains going as far as body weight and fat free mass. Now I'm doing simple carbs post workout (fruit/juice) and brown rice, oats, and flax every now and then.

I'm all about pushing myself as far as I can go strength-wise, with looks being secondary. That being said, I wouldn't want to spend lots of money on great tattoo work if my body looked like crap. You can spray paint a turd gold, but you still got a turd when you're finished. If you're in better shape, everything about you should age better, including your skin/tattoos. My two cents.

Page 1 of 66 1 23451151 ... LastLast