Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What's the scoop on shops Down-Under?

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

What's the scoop on shops Down-Under?

This might be too sensitive a subject, if so, I would ax an Admin to delete it.

Watdafuk is going on in the tattoo world in Oz? Every day I read about shops getting shot-up by this club or that club, that type of thing.

Do the M/C's have a lock on tattooing there? Are "independant shops hassled? What about artists, can an artist just work, or does he have to worry about whose turf he's on, etc.?

As I said, if that's not stuff people want aired, it won't hurt my feelings any if this thread just goes away, I'm just curious if what I read and hear is being exaggerated.
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

Ex-Lurker
    Images

Re: What's the scoop on shops Down-Under?

i,ve heard it referred to as guerilla tattooing by a artist/machine builder down there, sounds rugged!

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

Watup @Duffa...what's the real deal?
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    Do the M/C's have a lock on tattooing there?
    I've heard something to that effect, but I'll leave it to the actual Aussies to weigh in here.

Ex-Lurker
    Images

oh it was "combat tattooing" not guerilla

Regular Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

A lot of shops are bikie owned. And apparently if you don't have a connection to a bikie gang your shop might get firebombed. And if course rival gangs shoot up each others shops. It's pretty bad actually. This is just what I've heard, I'm not in the industry.

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Ladies and Gentlemen, let's see what I can light I can shed here without going into specifics about anyone

First - I should say it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be (funny that?) However, there has been an increase recently in shit popping off between certain M/C's and the use of handguns which makes it a lot more high profile (We have pretty stringent guns laws, but that's a whole other story that I can explain later)

The M/C's don't have a lock down on shops. You can be independent and remain relatively hassle free (everyone has some hassles in life ), and it's usually the better shops that choose to go the indie route. They are tattooers who want to tattoo. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure members or associates would frequent these establishments also, but they aren't club shops.

What it is, is that there is currently a bit of turmoil going on within and between certain clubs (patching over, women the usual issues etc) and associated businesses are being targeted (and the po po, I'll see what stuff I can find and upload). Funny thing is though, the footage of the Gyms' and what not that have been shot/blown up are hardly shown as I'm thinking it doesn't help with ratings? I'll find a link for you guys later to check out a program that aired recently on whats been going down. NSW government have or are passing laws which makes it illegal for members or associates of a M/C to own a tattoo shop (amongst other things)

This is really quick and brief and I will go into a lot more detail later when I can, with links

In summary - not as bad as what you hear, we're still cool.
    Lochlan, hogg and ChrisM like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    Duffa to tattooer: Man, you smell like a wallaby just cracked a fat; can you make my tribal more tribal?

Champion Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

@Amok - ok, yes Sydney is slightly different and I know what your referring to in regards to fire bombing (or more the specific incident and in that case your correct) but it isn't as bad as the media portray - it rarely ever is
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    Duffa to tattooer: Man, you smell like a wallaby just cracked a fat; can you make my tribal more tribal?

Regular Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

@Duffa - yep of course the media sensationalise it, and as I said I don't know much. Would love to hear more from you and check out that story you mentioned.

Images

if it's as bad as Montreal back in the late 90s...well, that was bad
    Nakatosh Tattoo Co
    Natchitoches, LA

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Support LST!