Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast

Thread: For TATTOOERS ONLY - most hated tattoo requests?

Ex-Lurker

Re: For TATTOOERS ONLY - most hated tattoo requests?

Honestly I just hate it when the customer doesn't know what they want. I'm a tattooer, not a shrink or a image consultant. Given my own choice I'd tattoo mostly skulls and naked chicks. Or skulls on naked chicks, lol.
    Its frstrating when customers bring in reference, want me to draw something based on it but with my own style or whatever, then aren't happy with my drawing because it doesn't look like the reference they brought in. I'm happy to trace your sticker, t-shirt, whatever and make a tattoo out of it, just ask for that.
    As far as flat out bad requests? Its usually wanting too much in too small a space, or just a bad space. I seldom allow my personal taste to come into the equation too much, unless asked outright.
    Not a customer request, but a common customer comment that does push my buttons.... After I've explained to someone that I'll be glad to take their money but a rainbow family tree with no black outlines and the name of every Jones that has ever lived on the east coast on the bottom of their foot is a bad idea their response is "oh, well I'll just find someone who can do it." Those are the folks I'm sometimes tempted to follow screaming into the parking lot.
    Likes jamessanders liked this.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by tak30204 View Post
    Not a customer request, but a common customer comment that does push my buttons.... After I've explained to someone that I'll be glad to take their money but a rainbow family tree with no black outlines and the name of every Jones that has ever lived on the east coast on the bottom of their foot is a bad idea their response is "oh, well I'll just find someone who can do it." Those are the folks I'm sometimes tempted to follow screaming into the parking lot.
    lol I hate that.
    Likes G.Uristti liked this.

Ex-Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell View Post
    Tattoos inside of lips. I did one once, and I almost passed out. I don't do well with drool I guess.
    I hate lips too u gotta hold them like a trout lol
    Likes Kevin Campbell, Just Alex liked this.

Most if not all of my newer clients are brought through word of mouth. Recently, I had a client who I have a language barrier with, but he does fully understand me. Well, during our consult for his custom design, I explained that the amount of detail he wants is too much for the size of the design. Well, he continues to ask me to make it smaller, and I continue to amend the detail. When we discuss each edit, which I labor over for free of course...AGAIN AND AGAIN, he gets frustrated, and speaks to me as if I'm, for lack of a better term..Dumb! Why is it that my 24 yrs of experience, and immense amount of patience and understanding of the clients wants and the tattoos design limitations, and my lack of an exotic accent, make me dumb? WTF? Any other U.S citizen with a standard grasp of the English language ever feel treated like that? It's some kind of reverse "ism" that's for sure!

Contributor
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by onaquesttoseeamoose View Post
    Most if not all of my newer clients are brought through word of mouth. Recently, I had a client who I have a language barrier with, but he does fully understand me. Well, during our consult for his custom design, I explained that the amount of detail he wants is too much for the size of the design. Well, he continues to ask me to make it smaller, and I continue to amend the detail. When we discuss each edit, which I labor over for free of course...AGAIN AND AGAIN, he gets frustrated, and speaks to me as if I'm, for lack of a better term..Dumb! Why is it that my 24 yrs of experience, and immense amount of patience and understanding of the clients wants and the tattoos design limitations, and my lack of an exotic accent, make me dumb? WTF? Any other U.S citizen with a standard grasp of the English language ever feel treated like that? It's some kind of reverse "ism" that's for sure!
    it happens man and im always just tempted to scribble on them for an hour or two. theyre lucky i have pride. when people get difficult i just tack in on in the end, im not doing extra work for free these days.

I absolutely respect your opinion on the resolution of said "pain in the ass"....
    But my reputation rests on many laurels, one being my promise to edit and edit till I get it right, which I define as exactly what the client wants. And ya know, it doesn't happen so often that I wanna blow my head off, and the oodles of dedicated familiar clientele that just let me run with an idea, to the point that they'll love my first draft even if I'm not yet satisfied, far outweighs those "hard to please" experiences. I just felt like posting the feelings 'cause they're more than frustrating...,they can be downright insulting!

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Louisgoodwin View Post
    I had a customer ask me to cover his 6 tattoos with black squares around 8 inches square , when I asked him if it was a religious choice or something he had to do for the SAS or some secret cult he was in . He just replied iv just never seen anything I like that would cover it up and i don't like them any more .?.
    I showed him lots of stuff and ever drew something on him so he could see what it would look like .
    He replied naah squares will do .
    When we did it I asked my mate to sit in just in case he was a phsyco and was cruising to kill some one .

My most hated tattoo to do is tribal dragon
    Ha! That's the tattoo I plan on covering up! (The tribal dragon) Walked in as an idiot 18yr old, flipped through a book and said "that looks cool." Groan

Regular

So I have been reading the pet peeves stuff with great interest, in hopes to not annoy people with my tattoo ignorance. I have read that some of you are bothered when someone has too much meaning behind their tattoo and try to dictate how the tattoo is done. Now I am concerned that people may roll their eyes at my tattoo plan.

I would like a blooming apple tree branch (because we have apple trees) with two chickadees (my husband and I) an empty bird cage somewhere with the the tree branches growing through it, maybe even breaking it. I would also like a triangle incorporated in the tattoo, maybe in the background with negative space somehow. I'm not planning to dictate placement or color choices, am I still going to be entering pet peeve territory?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KegRN View Post
    I would like a blooming apple tree branch (because we have apple trees) with two chickadees (my husband and I) an empty bird cage somewhere with the the tree branches growing through it, maybe even breaking it. I would also like a triangle incorporated in the tattoo, maybe in the background with negative space somehow. I'm not planning to dictate placement or color choices, am I still going to be entering pet peeve territory?
    My guess is you're going to need plenty of room to fit it all in . . .

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by SStu View Post
    My guess is you're going to need plenty of room to fit it all in . . .
    Ya I expected that, so I know I don't fit into the "wants tons of stuff crammed into a 3 inch tattoo" category, but I do have three of the pet peeves mentioned here; trees, relationship tattoos, and specific details.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast

Support LST!