Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Metropolitan Police commissioner bans 'unprofessional' tattoos

Images

Metropolitan Police commissioner bans 'unprofessional' tattoos

Met commissioner bans 'unprofessional' visible tattoos - Telegraph

The Met has, in recent years, been pretty strict on tattoos they deem to be racist or potentially inflammatory (I think that may even include things like a st. george's cross or union jack). I gather potential recruits had to send in photographs at one stage for evaluation.

Now the commissioner seems to have banned outright tattoos on hands, face and neck as 'unprofessional'. Members of staff who already have them have to register them with their line manager or will be regarded as having committed misconduct.

Smacks of cracking a nut with a sledgehammer, surely? I'd be willing to bet that there are a fair few P.Cs in the Met (perhaps mostly female) who have small visible tattoos on the back of the neck, behind the ear, on the wrist, but I would be surprised if that many UK coppers have the type of hand and neck tattoos that probably spring to mind as we think of them on LST. Actually, if that's an incorrect assumption on my part and any London members can tell me otherwise I'd be interested to hear about it!

Over here the rule of thumb is that if you have 'visible tattoos' such as a sleeve then a police officer will probably find themselves simply wearing long sleeves all the year around. What to do with something which cannot be covered easily is a trickier issue. I'll be interested to see how they eventually deal with the Met staff who do register these 'visible' hand, neck and face tattoos. Will that be the end of it, or will they be drummed out or into back-office roles?

Images

Re: Metropolitan Police commissioner bans 'unprofessional' tattoos

From what I've been hearing, similar rules are being implemented all over the place. I know I heard something about the US military cracking down hard on tattoos as well.
    "The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg
    If your new here, READ THIS!
    Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ
    If you have questions please PM a moderator.

Images

Cops? i thought it was only the robbers that had tattoos.

How am i to distinguish now.
    rozone and Pugilist like this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Cops? i thought it was only the robbers that had tattoos.

How am i to distinguish now.
    "Sympathy for the Devil" excerpt... "every cop is a criminal"....

Probably the cops have better tattoos maybe?

Rob
    There is more way to skin a cat, but most will make you puke...

Images

I assumed that visible (hand, neck, face) tattoos had always been a no no for police officers, guess i was wrong.

Edit: Looking at the article, i do find it odd that they list union jacks and panthers as tattoos that have led to applicants being rejected. What the hell is so terrible about a panther?

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Blog Entries
    Images

Wonder what the big impetus behind this stuff is, always seems to pop up every year or two (be it in the US, UK, etc..). Not surprising they don't want cops with neck tattoos but seems like there must be another catalyst to make such a stink about it.

Regular Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Something like this had gone down in Australia recently. Still see lots of cops with tattoos though.
    Instagram: pacsyd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gougetheeyes View Post
    Wonder what the big impetus behind this stuff is, always seems to pop up every year or two (be it in the US, UK, etc..). Not surprising they don't want cops with neck tattoos but seems like there must be another catalyst to make such a stink about it.
    someone complained. squeaky wheel, gets the oil type of shit usually
    "The ass tattoo: a deep and searing pain that lasts for days, a memory that lasts a lifetime." - Hogg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gougetheeyes View Post
    Budget cuts. Police departments in the UK had something like 20% of their budgets cut, so I am guessing that a stricter policy on tattoos could potentially force people out of the police? Though I can't believe that there are so many cops with hand, neck, and face tattoos that it would actually make that much of a difference.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

Budget cuts. Police departments in the UK had something like 20% of their budgets cut, so I am guessing that a stricter policy on tattoos could potentially force people out of the police? Though I can't believe that there are so many cops with hand, neck, and face tattoos that it would actually make that much of a difference.
    I heard that's the same reason or one of the reasons they got strict on military in the USA. Its easy yo push people out when it's hard to change the reason they're getting the boot for.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast