Join Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hello from Chicagoland

Images

Re: Hello from Chicagoland

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Thank you....@hawk, I guess a part of the problem is who I want to tattoo my ribs--I want a realistic b/w portrait of a childhood cat, which is totally not Ben's style, so I need to find someone who specializes in this. So far the only person I have found that I would trust to do a good job is Tom Renshaw.
    I don't know how realistic you want to go, or how possible travel is for you, but I LOVE Virginia Elwood's pet portraits. Examples here:

Instagram photo by @virginiaelwood (Virginia Elwood) | Statigram

Instagram photo by @virginiaelwood (Virginia Elwood) | Statigram

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    screw tattoos... what's your favorite horror movie?
    Technically sci-fi but my favorite movie, period, is Ridley Scott's Alien.

After that, I love the 70s/80s classics--Jaws, The Exorcist (directors cut), The Thing, The Changeling, Amityville Horror, The Shining, and more. I prefer those over the old slashers, although those are fun too.

For modern movies, I love Rob Zombie's movies, and think there are some wonderful foreign horror films these days. I also like good ole slashers such as the Saw series, but learned to not eat spaghetti while watching those. Spaghetti and slashers isn't a great combo.

I could go on but...enough about me, how about you?

Moderator Site Supporter
    Contest Winner
    Images

Welcome, @Heidi. Very nice intro!

Images

Technically sci-fi but my favorite movie, period, is Ridley Scott's Alien.

After that, I love the 70s/80s classics--Jaws, The Exorcist (directors cut), The Thing, The Changeling, Amityville Horror, The Shining, and more. I prefer those over the old slashers, although those are fun too.

For modern movies, I love Rob Zombie's movies, and think there are some wonderful foreign horror films these days. I also like good ole slashers such as the Saw series, but learned to not eat spaghetti while watching those. Spaghetti and slashers isn't a great combo.

I could go on but...enough about me, how about you?
    Good choices, all.
    And I always call ALIEN a 'haunted house' movie. The backdrop is space and sci-fi, but at it's heart.... its just a ghost movie. Perfection.

Absolute favorite is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was lucky enough to watch it once WITH Tobe Hooper in attendance and my head almost exploded.
    After that- The Thing, The Shining, Exorcist (original cut) Suspiria, Inside....

Apparently Zombie's LORDS OF SALEM got picked up by Anchor Bay....

And welcome to the family.
    Occult Vibrations Tattoo Blog | http://occultvibrations.com
    "We’re conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one." | " I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not a crusader for acceptance. Actually, I'm all for elitism..." -SR

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnPorter View Post
    Good choices, all.
    And I always call ALIEN a 'haunted house' movie. The backdrop is space and sci-fi, but at it's heart.... its just a ghost movie. Perfection.

Absolute favorite is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was lucky enough to watch it once WITH Tobe Hooper in attendance and my head almost exploded.
    After that- The Thing, The Shining, Exorcist (original cut) Suspiria, Inside....

Apparently Zombie's LORDS OF SALEM got picked up by Anchor Bay....

And welcome to the family.
    Oh yes, can't forget Texas Chainsaw Massacre....love that one as well. I love that whole 70s/80s period. It seems like most movies now just try to recreate or reinvent the wheel (the horror wheel in this instance). It's hard to find good ones, but it doesn't stop me from trying. And like I said, I even enjoy the very bad ones....including the ones that are purposefully bad (like Dead Alive--LOVE that one!)

Good point about Alien--you're right. It feeds upon the unknown. I love the movie so much that I have an accurate/true-to-life tattoo of the queen fetus from the Alien 3 box art on my back. My parents allowed me to watch the original film when I was 7, 8 years old and it clearly stuck with me. The first movie I remember watching is the black and white version of The Blob with my mom and little brother. Yes, mom's movie choices rubbed off on me!

I know some people hate them, but for modern movies, I also like the Paranormal Activity movies--the first in particular. But I have to confess that if I hadn't lived in a haunted apartment at one time, the movies wouldn't have the same feel for me....they are so much more believable with that experience under my belt.

While we're at it, I'll throw out a few foreign horror flicks I liked...more modern ones anyway, haven't come across any old subtitled ones on Netflix yet.

-Cold Fish (possibly one of the most disgusting movies I've ever seen--makes Saw look like Disney--but brilliantly done, really enjoyed it)
    -The Descent (UK but still counts!)
    -I Saw the Devil
    -REC (kinda like Quarantine but better IMO)
    -The Shrine

I was trying to remember the names of a few others but can't....sadly I watch so many that I don't remember most of their titles

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

@Heidi...call Miles, honest.

http://milesmaniaci.com/images/tatoos/dogarmmain.jpg

Other than that, take a trip to Moscow and book Den Yakovlev-none better for picture perfect portraits, and the airfare is low these days.
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

Images

Hannah Aitchison? She is probably booked up pretty far, but seen her do some pretty neat stuff on the realistic side and portrait work and just happens to work at the same shop. I know a fair amount of shops in Chicago but can't think of anyone of the top of my head other than those who have been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    @Heidi...call Miles, honest.

http://milesmaniaci.com/images/tatoos/dogarmmain.jpg

Other than that, take a trip to Moscow and book Den Yakovlev-none better for picture perfect portraits, and the airfare is low these days.

Heh, I'm being steered away from Detroit, ain't I?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Flores View Post
    Hannah Aitchison? She is probably booked up pretty far, but seen her do some pretty neat stuff on the realistic side and portrait work and just happens to work at the same shop. I know a fair amount of shops in Chicago but can't think of anyone of the top of my head other than those who have been mentioned.
    I'll have to take another look at her portfolio to see what she can do. It's been a long time since I checked it. It would be convenient to go to the same shop....but I can tell you, it will be very WEIRD to be tattooed by someone besides Ben there!

Chicago native, now a refugee on the Wis / Ill Stateline
    Images

Why go to De-Toilet when you can get what you want right here at home!?!?!?!?!
    Old enough to know better, still young enough to try.

Images

Heh, I'm being steered away from Detroit, ain't I?!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to take another look at her portfolio to see what she can do. It's been a long time since I checked it. It would be convenient to go to the same shop....but I can tell you, it will be very WEIRD to be tattooed by someone besides Ben there!
    It's weird to get tattooed by anyone when you think about it. Anytime I get tattooed outside of my shop or by a new person it's a little weird. I can totally understand people being faithful to their tattoo artist, and most of my tattoos are and will be from the same people, but with all the cool stuff out there I can't help but want to have some tattoos from other people. If you worried about Ben feeling weird about it, I wouldn't worry, the next best thing to getting tattooed by him is getting tattooed in his shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Support LST!