Swimming with a new tattoo: How long do you wait?

Kev

It's hot as hell here (105 like 5 days in a row here:() and everyone is swimming...except me. It's been almost two weeks since I was tattooed and I'm still waiting to fully submerge my leg in water.

How long do you usually wait til you hit the water?

Kev I feel you man, its so hot here people are selling their cattle cause there is no grass and we are on water rations. I remember finding some info on your question. Is it fresh water or pool? I remember an Australain or New Zealand artist found his clients getting infections due to microorganisms in the ocean off a certain beach. I would say chlorine or clorinated pools,hottubs etc would tend to degrade(bleach?) ink in a tattoo that wasnt healed.

Is it healed??

I went to look at the handy aftercare sheet I have taped to the back door of my wardrobe to see if I could help. All it said was "until it's fully healed"- you can tell I live in England, hardly anyone here swims, haha. How's your tattoo looking at the minute, Kev? One of the tattooers here might be able to help you out if they have a rough idea of where it's up to with healing.

The longer you can hold out, the better. I've jumped in once when mine was about a week and a half healed (mostly done flaking) and it was fine. After two weeks, guessing you're done flaking and it's now just the thin, shiny layer? You're probably ok to jump in for a bit but not too long!

I've heard that the chlorine in a pool can break down the ink in a tattoo causing it to fade. I also heard that putting vasoline on it will help protect the skin and the tattoo while swimming in a chlorinated pool. I have never found any official write up on this but I had a tattoo that broke down and faded from what I believe was just that. To be fair I was swimming about 4-5 times a week for a about 2-3 hours.

Thanks guys and gals. It's currently at shiny with no visible flake. I'm planning on being close to the water til about next weekend, so it sounds like it'll be fine.

I thought this would be a good thread for the current summer situation (at least stateside)

• 4 months later...