Collection Collectors

ShawnPorter

I don't collect books, I horde them. I have 5 bookshelves full now, with more in boxes. It doesn't help that I've worked in the book industry in some form for most of my employement. Anyone need some random paperbacks? Anyone?

Any old pulp/detective/crime paperbacks? Any Mickey Spillane? Also into old religious/art books of any kind.

I love that coin collection. There are coins from places I'd never even heard of and I remember there was one from an island that had since been renamed or made part of a bigger country or something.

@Rory it took the husband 5 years to make a dent in the book hording. I've started shipping books out to family members in what we call the "traveling library". When someone finishes one they sign the cover and send it to the next person. Last person donates the book to a senior center, hosipital or library. Bad thing is I bring in so many that my collection never really shrinks, but it keeps it from growing. Then there are the books I refuse to let go of because I like them. There's a lot of those...

A guy I work with had to have his floors reinforced to handle the weight of all the books he has. He has two rooms with floor to ceiling bookshelve. He's my hero.

@Rory it took the husband 5 years to make a dent in the book hording. I've started shipping books out to family members in what we call the "traveling library". When someone finishes one they sign the cover and send it to the next person. Last person donates the book to a senior center, hosipital or library. Bad thing is I bring in so many that my collection never really shrinks, but it keeps it from growing. Then there are the books I refuse to let go of because I like them. There's a lot of those...

A guy I work with had to have his floors reinforced to handle the weight of all the books he has. He has two rooms with floor to ceiling bookshelve. He's my hero.

i have a friend who's apartment is floor to ceiling bookshelves with books or records, spilling over into some milk crates. it's pretty amazing.

and i love your traveling library idea!

I used to collect toys- I had almost every Transformer ever made and a ton of prototypes too...sold them all after I realized it was an obsession and I didnt so much enjoy it as felt like I had to... I've also had huge amounts of guitar equipment but I'm down to 2 guitars and a Roland JC and some effects that I never use anymore

Oh I forgot about my business cards! I have a decent amount. Maybe when I get back to FL I can send you, MsRad, a few of my duplicates! I also have some antique photos but they aren't numerous, I have a lot of vintage/antique paper and they came in a big box of stuff I bought one time, there's some really rad ones of this old man and his very regale doggy. I put one up in my room and my dude for the longest time thought it was my grandfather hahahaha. He didn't realize it was just some random old guy I found at the thrift store.

cgfsteak - I think I'm collecting dust to hahahahahhaha

I was flipping through some old photo albums today and found a Cliff Raven card for his California shops. Pretty basic card, but awesome none the less!

• 1 year later...

I collected bottle caps as a young kid. Had a lot of my dad's beer bottle caps, Jones soda caps, Arizona caps, etc. When I go to concerts and festivals and whatnot, I like to keep the ticket stubs.

Starting this year, I began a collection of cool paintings and prints from various artists. My mom also kept a TON of our pictures from when my sisters and I were kids, and pictures that her dad passed down to her (he used to own a lithograph/photo service, so he had a whole bunch of family photos); I hope to get some of those when she is ready to pass them on.

Also, recently (read: the past couple of weeks), I have bought two pairs of Levi's raw/selvedge denim jeans. I really like them so far (I've worn my 1947 501s once, and I am currently sitting in a pair of original fit 501s to get them fitted to my legs after soaking them for a while, so they would shrink-to-fit). This is a pretty expensive "collection" item, so I think I will wear these for a few months before I decide to buy another pair. And, I think these are going to be my new GO-TOs for everyday wear. I'll still wear my black Dickie's, but for now it's all denim for a while.

I have a very small collection of tattoo related books as well. I suspect that collection will grow in coming years.

And business cards.

I used to collect glass pipes and artwork... not so much after getting sober. Filling that gap with books, sneakers, and streetwear. Snow and skateboards kicking all over the place... hats. I really like hats.

I tend to get super obsessive about things and just send it.

I collect small carved horse statues. 7 or 8 years ago my grandfather gave me a small collection of hand carved wooden horses that belonged to his grandmother. Ever since I've been collecting them and have recently extended my collection to include carved stone horses as well. The wooden ones are getting harder and harder for me to find but once in a while I still get lucky and find them at flea markets and occasional antique shops.

• 1 month later...
@MadeIndelible I just bought the Lee 101z 1966 Japan edition for the princely sum of £20 , I been chasing these for a while now .

Nice score. Where'd you manage to find them? I understand if you want to protect your source, though. I have been wearing mine to death. I prefer the 501s, as they are a bit looser in the thighs. Not that I have huge thighs; I am actually pretty skinny. It's just that the 1947s are fairly narrow. Just cleaned some of the indigo rub-off off of my boots tonight.

@MadeIndelible I found them on e-bay , couldn't believe my luck and was totally expecting a massive bidding frenzy at the last minute .When they arrived I was prepared for them to be the made in Poland suckers which are still alright at that price .They are cut very much like the 501 but more tapered at the ankle , sewn on Union machines and Japanese denim half selvedge .They look like the James Dean edition shown in this photo -

I do have to say looking back on this thread I have lost my ability to collect anything but tattoos since they consume most of my cash.

Only thing I "collect" like crazy are metal tshirts and other weird tshirts. I have a stupid amount of them, just wished I didn't get fat to wear the 100+ that are sitting in massive tubs in my closet.

looking back i guess ive always had trouble throwing things away. i just get a weird little connection to things and dont like to throw them away. i used to collect little toy figures called homies those were fun for a bit. when i was younger i has my wall plastered in scratched lottery tickets. it looked pretty cool i had almost a full wall covered. of course all sorts of sports cards. I never got into model cars but i did like model motorcycles.

Ive always had a pretty sold movie collection its got to be around 100+. These days i mostly like to collect anything Coca-Cola and anything NY football giants. (jerseys, t-shirts, hats, blankets, pillow cases, ashtrays).

oh and lately i have been really into stickers and little quarter sized pins. Living in LA there are a lot of cool clothing shops, but are all so expensive so i usually look around at some stuff, ask the price of items (nothing has a price tag so you know its expensive) then say ill have a few of your stickers and a pin if you have one.

I do have to say looking back on this thread I have lost my ability to collect anything but tattoos since they consume most of my cash.

Only thing I "collect" like crazy are metal tshirts and other weird tshirts. I have a stupid amount of them, just wished I didn't get fat to wear the 100+ that are sitting in massive tubs in my closet.

@slayer9019 I have a Hatesphere T-Shirt with a design on the front by Uncle Allan do you know the one ?