Don't take my picture!

my uncle buys me those things and i always end up putting them right in the trash. i wouldn't want my picture in one of those things. sorry...

Ha Ha my mum does exactly the same thing for birthdays and such and I don't have the heart to tell her not to waste her money.

Sorry to hear about that Katie. My theory on that is. If someone doesn't want their image in the magazine and they ask me not to publish. The answer is simple. Don't take the picture. But I can understand some photographers being a little pushy. I shot MusInk in Dallas last year. Gil Monte had taken one of Corey's Millers posters and cut a hole in his pants, (in the obvious spoot, lol...), and stuck his finger threw it. Ok, I guess you would have to be there to know it was funny. Anyway, I snapped away and we had a good laugh about it. The Next day Corey and I were talking and I showed him the pic. He thought it was pretty funny. But he asked me to please not publish the image. Well, of course not. Although I had already taken the picture and it was in my portfolio to send the the magaine. It was ready to go. But, I did respect his wishes and when I burned my disc to send of to the magazin I simply did not add the image. Problem solved. The bad part!!! Some other idiot with a camera was behind me from another magazine took the picture as well. It was published it their mag. I saw Corey after that, he wasn't to thrilled about it. But he knew it wasn't me so all is well with us. But the point of this I guess is to show respect. If a request is made. Honor it.....

Casey's Corner at Disneyland?

Casey's Corner is a section of Outlaw Biker Tattoo Revue where Casey Exton publishes photographs of girls in inappropriately trashy clothing. No real focus on their tattoos. Hell, sometimes the pics themselves are out of focus. He's usually in the pics, leering with the girls who're 1/3 of his age. (not that I can judge that)

Shawn: Rebel Ink and Urban Ink lean that direction as well. Or is it just me. I can say that cause I have shot for them as well. I have had some images denied that what I though were great. Of course that is a bias opinion. When I get home later I will post one of the pics. But I see images of nothing but t&a with minimal focus on the artwork. If we can call some of it that.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about bringing my camera to the SFO convention next month to snap some pix for the members of the forum that aren't able to attend. I don't want to piss anyone off by snapping their pic but at the same time I don't want to bother a bunch of busy tattooers and ask permission as well as explain that the photos are to share on this forum...

Any advise?

Even in my heyday I was 20lbs overweight- and since the camera adds 20lbs , people were never rushing to take my photo- and when they did ask I always found it a little embarrassing and said "no"!

Funny I remember feeling a little left out when Bill DeMichelle photographed my friend ( another female tattooist) in my presence and didn't ask me.

Now I look back and think, " THANK GOD" !

There's a few out there but not too many(;

I was thinking about bringing my camera to the SFO convention next month to snap some pix for the members of the forum that aren't able to attend. I don't want to piss anyone off by snapping their pic but at the same time I don't want to bother a bunch of busy tattooers and ask permission as well as explain that the photos are to share on this forum...

Any advise?

It helps to have a business card (or just a card with your email address, since you're not doing it for commercial purposes). When I photograph at events, I always approach with my card first, introduce myself, make some kind of bridging comment, then ask if I can take a quick photo. If it's for a commercial purpose (eg. sometimes I shoot for event websites) I tell them where they can see the photo, or if it's solely for my portfolio I offer to send them a copy of the photo. Seems to warm people up a bit, knowing they'll have access to their image.

You do have to pick your moments. If someone is obviously mid-conversation or busy, come back later. Or try your luck with "shoot first, ask later", but I can't guarantee you wont get punched ;)

There's no harm in being rejected when you do ask.

Any advise?

Tattoo conventions are packed full of ignorant and rude assholes. We just finished with the London show and because our helpers (and Valerie) are young, tattooed and good looking, cameras were clicking all weekend.

The only people who asked permission of any sort were the people who wanted to come inside our booth or who wanted the girls to pose.

Most people shot without flash but taking a photo of a girl's chest tattoo, 12 inches away from her face, with flash isn't cool.

My gurning and obscene gestures in the background of douche's photos is a different matter.

@ian, if you are not a dick, you'll be in the much-appreciated minority.

It's a convention. Most people working expect to have pictures taken from a respectful distance. Convention visitors should remember that it's not an exhibition. Tattooers are not there for your amusement.

I don't really understand this maniacal need to take lots of photos of everything nowadays. Like being at the Louvre watching people rush around taking snaps of everything and not stopping to actually look at the art... are they going to go home and stare at the photo instead of at the artwork in person? One can only hope these thousands of pointless convention photos end up in some folder no one ever looks at!

In MTL my wife got asked to have her chest pictured as she has some nice work on it.

The guy spent 10 mins trying to get her to take her top off. She said no maney times and got to the point that she had to put her foot down and said that if it was a deal breaker then dont take the picture. Now shes put off by any sort of tattoo pictures that is not the artist. The vibe wasnt respecting the art and getting the picture of the tattoo. This was her first time at a convention so next time I dont think she will be as into it.

Seriously, the 10 seconds it takes to ask means a lot to the artist and the tattooed individual that it goes a long way. If they say no, then big deal thats the risk of asking but at least you respect someone wishes.

Tattoo conventions are packed full of ignorant and rude assholes. We just finished with the London show and because our helpers (and Valerie) are young, tattooed and good looking, cameras were clicking all weekend.

The only people who asked permission of any sort were the people who wanted to come inside our booth or who wanted the girls to pose.

Most people shot without flash but taking a photo of a girl's chest tattoo, 12 inches away from her face, with flash isn't cool.

My gurning and obscene gestures in the background of douche's photos is a different matter.

@ian, if you are not a dick, you'll be in the much-appreciated minority.

It's a convention. Most people working expect to have pictures taken from a respectful distance. Convention visitors should remember that it's not an exhibition. Tattooers are not there for your amusement.

stewart,

I agree with your words also if there is involvement with women and possible bare parts a visitor should have common sense enough to not push or even ask for a picture in that situation. If its a seedy tattoo magazine I am sure their act gets old and tattooers and enthuesiasts alike catch on quick.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it depends on the show ,small busy shows with a lot of people taking photos and not asking can grate on my nerves.people will lean into your booth and use flash photography within inches of my face which as we all know hurts the eyes and interupts the work im doing while i wait for the white light to subside from my vision.I do think its a few assholes with no manners spoiling it for everyone else who know an obvious way to behave. Generally its never a problem with a bit of warning/politeness.Although as was mentioned before if a particular magasine has pissed you off you wouldnt be so willing.