I think something semi-geometric in that area. I like the idea of capping off my travel leg with a compass rose like this (maybe less detailed, a few colors)

7360639-vintage-compass-rose.jpg

The other knee, maybe a Pennsylvania Dutch hex sign. These are super basic, but they can get really detailed:

hex13-small.jpg

Dude that rules! Also, explain the hot towel trick.. does that actually work?

Get a paper towel, or a cloth from the hot water dispenser and soak it.

Apply immediately after opening you're towel or cloth and keep it on and make a face, cause it's going to hurt.

The hot water is suppose to suck down the swelling and pull out the red like witch hazel. I've noticed I heal real faster and better doing this.

Get a paper towel, or a cloth from the hot water dispenser and soak it.

Apply immediately after opening you're towel or cloth and keep it on and make a face, cause it's going to hurt.

The hot water is suppose to suck down the swelling and pull out the red like witch hazel. I've noticed I heal real faster and better doing this.

OK, I'll ask. When do you do this? At the shop or can you wait until you get home? How long do you keep the hot towel on your new tattoo?

I'm starting my chest/half sleeve piece next week and I'd like to try this.

Thanks,

Kevin

It's similar to the "hot soak" method that's popular in Japan. About an hour after I get tattooed, I get the water as hot as I can stand it and either take a hot shower or soak in a hot bath for about 10 minutes. It usually hurts worse than the tattoo itself, at least at first, but the pain subsides fairly quickly. I've had great results with healing tattoos this way.

It's similar to the "hot soak" method that's popular in Japan. About an hour after I get tattooed, I get the water as hot as I can stand it and either take a hot shower or soak in a hot bath for about 10 minutes. It usually hurts worse than the tattoo itself, at least at first, but the pain subsides fairly quickly. I've had great results with healing tattoos this way.

Hogg, you mentioned this before and I think I remember other folks talking about the soaking that's popular in Japan. Totally crazy. I'll definitely try the hot towel thing, though it makes me super nervous!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been revisiting knee tattoos lately and thinking about designs.

I've seen some cool spiderweb designs from Stewart Robson (with a spider at the centre) and from Nick Colella which made me search for more. One design that seems to crop up in a few cases is a spider web with a nautical star of some sort. As something I have always liked the idea of for a knee tattoo is a compass star I was curious where the combination of spider web with star comes from - anyone know? Random combination or is there a story behind it...