Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I got this last night from Dave Regan while he is guesting at Classic Electric Tattoo in Frederick, Maryland. Beautiful shop, and town. I had just met Dave, but it felt like I was getting tattooed by an old friend. Fun times all around. Photo pilfered from Dave's instagram account. (@dutchraven)

OHoaUwR.jpg

Frederick's blowin up! Still need to check that shop out when I'm home..

Cool @Zillah!

General question. I've always been curious what the sparkle/fuzzy circle is that some artists draw on koi heads. This may be a first I've seen it on the body as well come to think of it. Do you (or anyone else) know what it's supposed to be? I'm curious because after seeing it drawn often I once saw someone sketch a swastika on the koi head (possibly in it's place?) but the Client opted not to have it done for obvious reasons.

I was bored, and I Googled "forehead koi tattoo."

The Tale of the Carp Transforming to A Dragon - General Chinese Culture - China History Forum, Chinese History Forum

The carp has long been an emblem of perseverance. It was admired because it struggled against the River in He Jing District, Shansi, linked to the Yellow River. From this struggle, a legend grew up that those fish who succeeded in passing above the rapids of the Dragon’s Gate, Long Men, on the third moon of each year, had their heads burned off by lightning as they leaped over the rapids, and the face was replaced by a dragon’s face, and this was left with a mark on the forehead to distinguish themselves from others. The prolonged exertions of these fish and their eventual success in leaping the rapids became synonymous with the long struggle of the literary scholar who eventually achieved success after much persistence and toil. Thus, a fish-dragon in the shape of a carp (sometimes a sturgeon), with a dragon’s face, became the symbol of literary eminence, and someone who passed an examination for a degree was known as a “Carp who had leaped over the Dragon Gate.” Accordingly, it was commonplace to present scholars who passed with distinction a plate, or perhaps a vase, decorated with one or more dragon-fish. Several exquisite silver plates with gilt decoration have been found and are in museums around the world. The British Museum has a shard of Yue ware decorated with such a fish-dragon. Sadly, it is incorrectly described as a Makara.

: Koi Fish Legend?? TattooNOW :

When used in tattoos, especially with running water, the koi is meant to symbolize courage and the ability to attain goals and to overcome life's difficulties. When the koi in the tattoo is shown swimming upstream, it can be used to mean that the tattooee is still struggling with their problem, whereas a koi swimming downstream implies that the tattooee has already overcome their difficulty. In other cases, the koi swimming downstream can represent the season of fall, and the koi swimming upstream can represent the spring.

The specific colors you mentioned to represent the Father, mother, son, and daughter, But there are over 14 different kinds of koi, ranging in many colors. All depending pretty much on your choice. My koi tattoo is blue and white, swimming upstream. The Spot on their head? when a koi swims up the river they speak to all the animals along the path to gather the wisdom to be able to make it past the dragon gate. That spot represents the wisdom it has gathered on its journey. There ya go.

I'm not really convinced by either of these, although I bet the second one is closer. It's probably related to the Buddhist concept of the third eye.

I see this Buddha Eyes (Wisdom Eyes) Symbol - ReligionFacts used in Jondix's work a lot. I've seen similar symbols in Japanese tattoos.

I was bored, and I Googled "forehead koi tattoo."

The Tale of the Carp Transforming to A Dragon - General Chinese Culture - China History Forum, Chinese History Forum

: Koi Fish Legend?? TattooNOW :

I'm not really convinced by either of these, although I bet the second one is closer. It's probably related to the Buddhist concept of the third eye.

I see this Buddha Eyes (Wisdom Eyes) Symbol - ReligionFacts used in Jondix's work a lot. I've seen similar symbols in Japanese tattoos.

Thanks! I figured it had to do with enlightenment or a Buddhist philosophy or some such.

I agree though, I think there's something funny about some of what the descriptions say. There are a few contradictions I think. I'm sure there are more than a few depictions on people too, where even the artist didn't really know what it represented and mixed elements up unintentionally and just added it in because they'd seen it somewhere and thought it was cool. Not that it would bother most. It really just bugs me because I like learning about the stories and little details like that and it drives me nuts not understanding.

Latest (unfinished) addition to my back. Badly bruised, especially under my arm where you can't see. We couldn't finish the details, and the scales are barely started. He said my skin was done for the night.

I hate to put up something so incomplete, but it's going to be forever before the last layers go on anything and I'm impatient!

Session+7+photo+1+closeup+sm.jpeg

Latest (unfinished) addition to my back. Badly bruised, especially under my arm where you can't see. We couldn't finish the details, and the scales are barely started. He said my skin was done for the night.

I hate to put up something so incomplete, but it's going to be forever before the last layers go on anything and I'm impatient!

Session+7+photo+1+closeup+sm.jpeg

I can't wait to see this as a whole I really like the concept and how it's from

Your dive photos.

Isn't armpit area the most fun? I'm glad he/she was professional

Enough to tell you that your skin was done for the day instead of wrecking you and then needing a touch up

2nd tattoo completed this past friday by brian bruno, richmond, va

Sorry for the not-so-good phone picture quality...

I love love love Brian Bruno's work, and I hope to get tattooed by him some day. That tiger is killer!! 2'nd tattoo you say? I tip my hat to you sir.

Thanks everyone. I have to say my "fine taste" is largely due to LST, so, give yourselves a hand too...

I love love love Brian Bruno's work, and I hope to get tattooed by him some day. That tiger is killer!! 2'nd tattoo you say? I tip my hat to you sir.

You definitely should, man. He's a really good guy and everyone at the shop is real nice. Plus he's kind of a badass tattoo artist too so, y'know, there's that