free sailor Jerry tattoos, nyc, chicago, New orleans

slayer9019

Just say is posted on needles and sins blog. Thought I would post it up here.

http://www.needlesandsins.com/2012/01/free-sailor-jerry-tattoos-in-chincago-nyc.html

This Saturday, January 14th, to commemorate what would have been the 101st birthday of Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins, the rum brand inspired by the iconic tattooer will be sponsoring events in Chicago and NYC where lucky Americana fans could get original Sailor Jerry tattoos ... for free.

The Chicago Tattoo Co. and Fineline Tattoo will each be offering 101 complimentary tattoos from the flash sheet above, on a first come-first serve basis from noon to midnight at Chicago Tattoo and to 10PM at Fineline. Must be 18 or older to get tattooed and obviously 21 or older to get in on the rum drink specials. The Sailor Jerry peeps will be offering those drink specials at nearby Lil' Frankies in NYC and early customers in Chicago will get drink vouchers to be redeemed at neighborhood bar Schuba's. SJ swag will also be handed out to those who beat the rush -- definitely expect crowds. [While there are tons of freebies, tipping your artists and bartenders is appreciated.]

The two tattoo studios are a perfect fit for this celebration. As Nick Colella says:

Chicago Tattoo has a direct lineage to Sailor Jerry through Tatts Thomas. Jerry got his start in Chicago in the mid-twenties with Tatts on South State St. He later moved on to Hawaii. Tatts stayed in Chicago on South State St. until the early sixties when he traveled to work with Amund Dietzel in Milwaukee. After Milwaukee outlawed tattooing, Tatts moved back to Chicago to work with Cliff Raven at what is now The Chicago Tattoo Co; thus, Chicago Tattoo is in the direct and unbroken lineage to Sailor Jerry.

And Mike Bakaty's Fineline Tattoo -- the longest continuing running shop in Manhattan -- also keeps the Sailor Jerry tradition of letting the work speak for itself in its non-pretentious, hardworking old school storefront that welcomes everything from large intricate work to a piece of Traditional flash.

If you can't make it this Saturday to the events, check the artists' portfolios at both shops for Sailor Jerry strong tattoos.

UPDATE: AAlso this Saturday, from 12pm to 12am, Uptown Tattoos at 575 S. Carrolton Avenue in New Orleans, is offering 101 free tattoos of one of several original designs from the flash sheet above. Afterward, patrons are invited to join in on a bar crawl kicking off at 10pm at Flanagan's Pub (625 Saint Philip St.) where they can raise a glass to Norman Collins and sip on signature Sailor Jerry cocktails.

That just sounds crazy. I would be the first in line if I were in Chicago, but not going again til May, oh well told all my friends hopefully someone get a free one. Hopefully people actually appreciate this gesture and tip well. Getting tattooed by Nick Colella or any of the guys there is worth paying full price. I think an event like this should somehow be geared to reward loyal tattoo customers of the shop or loyal drinkers of Sailor Jerry Rum vs random people looking for a cheap tattoo, but either way it's a hell of an oppurtunity.

That just sounds crazy. I would be the first in line if I were in Chicago, but not going again til May, oh well told all my friends hopefully someone get a free one. Hopefully people actually appreciate this gesture and tip well. Getting tattooed by Nick Colella or any of the guys there is worth paying full price. I think an event like this should somehow be geared to reward loyal tattoo customers of the shop or loyal drinkers of Sailor Jerry Rum vs random people looking for a cheap tattoo, but either way it's a hell of an oppurtunity.

Yea I had a similar feeling about idea behind the event. I am not going to kill myself to get a free tattoo but I might just show up for shits and giggles. (I feel a tip at least close to the cost would be acceptable). Funny thing is I did not see any more advertising for this event outside of the N&S post, so I felt that this community would appreciate it.

@slayer9019 if you go and get something by all means you've got to post a picture!

A friend and I are heading down there tomorrow, but I think it might be a shit-show. Even if I don't get a free tattoo, I have a session on my arm at 5 anyway so I will be tattooed regardless. Win-win situation! If I do get a SJ tattoo, I will post up a picture for sure

I saw a lot of shops posting pictures on instagram yesterday for free/cheap SJ tattoo events across the country. They were all showing lines around the block, super packed standing room only inside the shops, etc. I also saw a few people post their 'daily sheets' as we call them back home. The one where you write down all the tatts you did that day. Some of these guys made a lot of money yesterday, and some did a lot of tattoos and made nothing off them. I dunno how I feel about the whole thing. I wouldn't wait in line all day for it, but then again I can get a free or cheap sailor jerry tattoo whenever I want. I did think it was interesting that someone said in the other thread on this topic that Sailor Jerry himself didn't drink and hated cheapskates.

I saw a lot of shops posting pictures on instagram yesterday for free/cheap SJ tattoo events across the country. They were all showing lines around the block, super packed standing room only inside the shops, etc. I also saw a few people post their 'daily sheets' as we call them back home. The one where you write down all the tatts you did that day. Some of these guys made a lot of money yesterday, and some did a lot of tattoos and made nothing off them. I dunno how I feel about the whole thing. I wouldn't wait in line all day for it, but then again I can get a free or cheap sailor jerry tattoo whenever I want. I did think it was interesting that someone said in the other thread on this topic that Sailor Jerry himself didn't drink and hated cheapskates.

I feel exactly the same way. I have been part of one free tattoo event and it was invite only to people who are regular customers (who tipped) and people who we actually wanted to hang around with all day, we chose 12 desigs in the lobby and put golden stars by them, if you can find a star you get the tattoo for merely a tip. I made wings, we had pizza delivered and made a party out of it as one of our tattooers was going to New Zealand in a couple of weeks. Everyone made good money, but one guy didn't want to do free tattoos because he just doesn't give deals and he made just as much if not more doing 3 full price tattoos that day and actually had time to hang out. Needles to say the guy is back from New Zealand and I think we will have a party but not do the free tattoos this time.

Here is a picture of one of our regulars Chris posing next to the makeshift sign that day.