Bailey Robinson tattoos

cragdw

some of my favorite. i have one. but a question..

i've noticed that bailey uses finer detail than most traditional tattooers. makes me wonder whether his tattoos age as gracefully as those of smith street or the like, which are bolder and simpler..

anyone?

Going to be different for as many skin types there is IMO. Its predominantly the same style. Look at the work being done 50 years ago in that style and how it looks now for a rough idea. TBH I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it, who knows how long its going to need to last?

• 2 weeks later...

i've noticed that bailey uses finer detail than most traditional tattooers. makes me wonder whether his tattoos age as gracefully as those of smith street or the like, which are bolder and simpler..

anyone?

You don't have to hit every tattoo with a brick.

anyone?

a finer lines does not mean less quality. all lines thicken over time, so do the math. do you really think a fat line is always the answer? the size of the tattoo and detail should determine the line weight. you should never mindlessly pick up a needle and say this is good for everything. cause quite simply its not. you can bold line a tattoo if its permitting. go look at what happens to script if its not big enough for a 14rl.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've been trying to find an appropriate thread to ask this question - so apologies if this is the wrong one! I was interested to read the debate on the use of thin or fine lines in tattoos.

I've recently been asked to design a tattoo for a friend (silhouetted angel on a background of flames to go on his upper arm) My artistic style is quite fine, detailed and scribbly - hence my username (my website is my username.com if you want to see examples of what I mean). I've been researching tattoo design and have asked other friends and they have warned me that thin lines may spread or blur over time and any fine details will be lost. I want to do a good job for him and give him something that he can take to a tattoo artist and without too many changes it will be relatively easy to tattoo so I am happy to alter my style to suit. Any tips or warnings?

Hi, I've been trying to find an appropriate thread to ask this question - so apologies if this is the wrong one! I was interested to read the debate on the use of thin or fine lines in tattoos.

I've recently been asked to design a tattoo for a friend (silhouetted angel on a background of flames to go on his upper arm) My artistic style is quite fine, detailed and scribbly - hence my username (my website is my username.com if you want to see examples of what I mean). I've been researching tattoo design and have asked other friends and they have warned me that thin lines may spread or blur over time and any fine details will be lost. I want to do a good job for him and give him something that he can take to a tattoo artist and without too many changes it will be relatively easy to tattoo so I am happy to alter my style to suit. Any tips or warnings?

This is the opinion I've always held: if you aren't a tattoo artist, then you shouldn't be designing tattoos for your friends. Especially if you don't know a thing about tattoos or tattooing to begin with.

While there is nothing wrong with your art, it isn't really well suited to be applied as a tattoo, and any decent tattooer will redraw it.

It blows my mind that people trust their non-tattooer friends to design tattoos for them (this shit happens sooooo often) but not the fucking people who have been tattooing for years and get paid to do that for a living.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, yeah, and BHR rules. This fat line trend is bound to end soon enough anyways. Don't get me wrong I have some tattoos with pretty fat lines, and I'm sure they will hold up just fine. But I kinda think it's a little overboard sometimes, so much so that at a certain point you have to worry about how the fat line tattoos are going to age once the lines start to spread. BHR does really nice looking tattoos, I wouldn't worry at all about how they will age, in fact, I'd be surprised if his stuff doesn't age better than a lot of the overly fat lined tattoos.