Least painful spot for a tattoo

Lochlan

Is this possible? I mean you feel every tattoo in some way or another from like a paper cut to like a being stabbed to like someone kicking you to ??? But bottom line some spots hurt less than others and for those looking for the least painful spots where would that most likely be and why?

hmm.... i think outer forearm was pretty pleasant, chad koeplinger did that one, same with my knees. they were ok, some nasty bits like with everything else but fairly ok. front and side of thighs are always a nice easy spot, ive not got the back of them done yet so not excited about that recounting my customers reactions but its all gotta get done at some point!

kinda sad my lower legs are complete i thought that was always an easy area to get done.

The outer forearm, the top of the thigh, and the outside of the thigh have been the easiest spots for me so far.

I was getting my ribs tattooed a couple of years ago, and the girl at the booth next to where I was asked her tattooer about the least painful spot for a tattoo was and his very deadpan response was "On someone else."

Everyone's different. And it's got nothing to do with toughness. Where your nerve endings are most sensitive is where you're going to feel it most. Other things to take into account are how you are feeling that day. If your body is putting up with anything else, that is energy it doesn't have to dedicate to putting up with the tattoo process. Things like being hungover, having slept bad the night before, no food in your system, being sick or fighting off a cold, other infections.... These are all things that can make it feel worse. Not to mention how the tattooer tattoos, and weather or not you even feel like getting tattooed that day.

People talk about the ribs being crazy painful, but I have this group of tiny college soccer team girls that get rib shit. All big, script, pictures,... You name it. They have no problems at all. Soccer girls and snipers are the best for that shit. People who can accomplish a goal under duress make the best clients. They are able to not even see it as discomfort.

BUT I also tattoo big burly dudes who get all stressed and titchy over outer arm tattoos. You can see them just in agony. It's all different.

I was told that the inner bicep was hell. That's why everyone in the 90's who was getting tribal armbands would leave that are blank and have it not connect. I waited forever to do that spot. Come to find out it was the easiest shit for me to deal with. Possibly one of the two tattoos I could have fallen asleep getting.

My legs on the other hand? FUck. In normal places on my leg where normal ass people get normal ass butterflies and shit... FUCK shit is ridiculous. Hurts my soul. Getting my ankes tattooed makes me feel like a girl broke up with me in 8th grade.

chest and the top of my feet were the least painful. seriously.

the worst spot for me has been my inner bicep. i could feel my teeth knocking. it's especially brutal when you start getting close to the armpit, because then it just tickles AND hurts at the same time.

The area where the ankle meets the foot was fucking brutal. I had a really easy time with my elbows and my chest was like dozing on a tropical fucking beach with a drink compared to a lot of other spots.

ugh just feeling that spot you're describing and I can only imagine the pain. it's so sensitive and I never realized it til now. achilles tendon hurt like a mofo for me so that doesn't surprise me that that spot hurts too.

and so that i'm not completely off topic here- forearms are cake. inner arm was really not as bad for me as people make it out to be- until it hits that weird point of the elbow or your armpit. totally depends on your nerve endings. whoever discussed stress/focus/eating/sleeping hit the nail on the head too.

• 3 weeks later...
chest and the top of my feet were the least painful. seriously.

the worst spot for me has been my inner bicep. i could feel my teeth knocking. it's especially brutal when you start getting close to the armpit, because then it just tickles AND hurts at the same time.

Okay, top of the feet weren't bad in comparison to anything on the sides of the feet and around the ankle. And inner bicep was awful for me, but I thought it was just because I showed up for my appointment with all my endorphins already gone. I had done a 3 hour yoga workshop on arm balances and hand stands that day, god only knows what I was thinking. But I had pre-paid for that workshop, and when Tim Hendricks rolls through town, you just get in where you can. When it came time to even write down the word I wanted on the tattoo, my hands were already shaking. Poor Tim, I was even begging him to not do the color, but he wasn't having it. The whole back of my arm was covered in bruises from him having to hold it so tightly 'cause I was trying to get away.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i've noticed it tends to be more related to where my head is at when i'm getting the tattoo. when i got the right side of my neck done i sort of went into it not thinking it wouldn't be all that bad since i've tattooed peoples necks and then always seem to do really well with it. i never got comfortable during the tattoo and felt a chill every time he would stop a line because it was pretty warm and i had a fan blowing on me the whole time. the other side of my neck wasn't bad at all and took a bit longer but i had sort of mentally prepared myself for it if that makes sense. the back of my leg was also the only other tattoo that i couldn't get my mind right during it. really i tend to enjoy the way all the tattoos have felt but i can zone out and focus on my breathing and when the occasional spot feels more intense it is almost funny at times.

when this question is ever posed by customers, i tell them to get it where they want it because it's going to hurt wherever they get it and in the end they don't want to be disappointed by getting something in a spot just because they thought it would hurt less.

• 3 months later...