Rose tattoos

Lochlan

Flower tattoos are awesome in my opinion but I am a sucker for a good rose so I wanted to start a thread strictly for roses and hope to see some new and old awesomeness. Roses and words are probably the most reoccurring tattoos on me and I continue to hope to add more. So here's a few questions on rose tattoos but please feel free to expand in your own way and don't let the questions limit you:

-Who does the best rose tattoos and roses tattoo in your opinion?

-Colored or black and grey roses?

-Best spot for rose tattoos?

-Rose or roses as the centerpiece or better filler or D all of the above?

-What makes or breaks a rose tattoo?

-?????

Thanks for sharing your tattoo stories, tattoo pictures, and tattoo opinions!

-Steve Byrne or Chad Koeplinger...the fine line work in the leaves that Chad does is rad.

-Colored roses

-Neck, elbow, hand, or as filler in a nice traditional chest piece

-D

-I think that what makes or breaks a rose tattoo, is person that is tattooing it. If a good tattooer is doing it, then you're probably going to end up with a good tattoo.

Sorry for the short answers, but I'm at work. Haha.

Freddy Corbin does very recognizable roses. So does Scott Sylvia (the cool little shit in the leaves makes it). And Little Chuy (Quintanar) does killer black and gray roses. i have a similar one from Ben Grillo.

I have so many roses already, but I don't think you can ever have too many. I guess I feel that way about snakes, too, haha.

-Seth Ciferri and Thad Ritchey do some pretty fuckin sweet roses.

-I much prefer a color rose.

-Roses go everywhere. I put em in everything, and I've got a bunch on me.

I can't say what makes or breaks one. I know I've drawn roses I loved, and roses I hated. I go back an forth on which style of roses I like to tattoo, and it all comes down to whats in the center of the rose for me, where the folds start. If it looks like shit, your rose will look like shit. At least, that's my opinion on it.

There is no such thing as the best rose. Its not a competition, more of an appreciation, repulsion, or somewhere in between. My personal fave is Henry Goldfield, He rules the rose in SF His chest piece is a giant rose from Oakland's Shakey Jake done in the early 60's I believe. Many tattooers and their families wear Henry's roses. I don't have photos available right now , but I wear one and my wife has a 3/4 sleeve of 3 roses from Henry. When I got mine, he gave me the drawing which proudly hangs in the shop. Next to the rose it says" Dean, here's your rose. Follow the rose in life and you'll never go wrong. Good luck to you." Most of the roses I see today are very well done in a variety of styles. I like rose tattoos with a black outline made by people over 50. But hey, whatever you're into, there's room for it all.

• 1 month later...

I would agree that roses may be one my favorite fillers especially a black and grey rose with maybe a small tint of color on the tips. I've also been enjoying tighter kept/half blooming roses rather than fully bloomed ones. I've seen so many color roses that it is the black and grey ones that have been catching my eyes lately.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...