Anyone care to help with a tattoo?

wrazz

What's up everyone.

I've finally raised enough money to get my next tattoo. I already have a.. vague idea of what I want & the placement of said tattoo.

What I've been wanting is the word rejoice, inside some sort of banner & that banner being wrapped around something. Also, the placement of this tat is going on my upper forearm, below my bicep.

Anyone have any good advice/ ideas I can throw around & brain storm with? Would be truly appreciated, along with every other type of kindness I can spew at you guys.

Ask me questions if that helps you get an idea,

personal or not, I'll answer it proudly.

Thanks!

Also, the style I'm looking towards more would be traditional.

Either black & gray or light/ solid color with thin lines. Especially more so in the banner/ font area.

Lets get this rollin' this tattoo's getting done on friday.

Have you talked to the artist that's going to do it, so they can give you their ideas?

I have yet to. I was planning on trying to come up with as many ideas as I can, or coming up with one specific idea & then heading over there & getting his opinion on it.

And now, I'm here.

I have yet to. I was planning on trying to come up with as many ideas as I can, or coming up with one specific idea & then heading over there & getting his opinion on it.

And now, I'm here.

I am just wondering... Why are strangers on the Internet better people to ask than the artist who will be doing it? You have an appointment on Friday but don't know what you're getting? I am confused.

if you want the word "Rejoice", a cross might fit well for the banner to wrap around.

it sounds like you've already selected an artists, since you have an appointment. i suggest you check out their portfolio and see what kind of things they like to do. the artist will have more fun with a piece they enjoy doing and hopefully it will optimize your experience and tattoo.

if you want the word "Rejoice", a cross might fit well for the banner to wrap around.

it sounds like you've already selected an artists, since you have an appointment. i suggest you check out their portfolio and see what kind of things they like to do. the artist will have more fun with a piece they enjoy doing and hopefully it will optimize your experience and tattoo.

This, all of it.

Also, what is your appointment for? A consultation, or the actual tattoo? If the later, does he/she already know what you want (as far as what you've told us here?) If so, the artist may have already drawn something up you'll like. What did you tell them already, if anything (and why book an appointment if they have no idea what they are doing?)

A monkey riding a unicycle wearing a tophat smoking a phat joint :p

Seriously though, as previously stated... a couple times... talk to the artist. I came on here a couple months ago with a similar question and was suggested I go my gut. I got a skull and really like it. Although I think I could just get skull tattoos the rest of my life and be happy.

This, all of it.

Also, what is your appointment for? A consultation, or the actual tattoo? If the later, does he/she already know what you want (as far as what you've told us here?) If so, the artist may have already drawn something up you'll like. What did you tell them already, if anything (and why book an appointment if they have no idea what they are doing?)

Consultation. & a cross isn't really what I'm looking for, at all.. Considering I'm not religious in any way. Nope, as far as telling what I want is what you've seen here. I don't want a cross, a skull, a tiger head, or any type of "give that a go you might like it" design. I was thinking about the banner being wrapped around a sun, but the only problem I'm having with that would be what the sun would look like, to make it obvious that it's a sun, & color.

A monkey riding a unicycle wearing a tophat smoking a phat joint :p

Seriously though, as previously stated... a couple times... talk to the artist. I came on here a couple months ago with a similar question and was suggested I go my gut. I got a skull and really like it. Although I think I could just get skull tattoos the rest of my life and be happy.

I appreciate your advice, but read above.

Thank you, but read above.

I am just wondering... Why are strangers on the Internet better people to ask than the artist who will be doing it? You have an appointment on Friday but don't know what you're getting? I am confused.

Because strangers on the internet aren't just one person with one creative thought & don't stick with only just one idea when presented an opportunity to do more with what they're given?

Would rather you not question motives, & just help out with what I'm asking. That's the point of the thread, isn't it? That was my point in joining this site, as far as I can remember. But instead I've only gotten snide remarks & questionable comments.

Hmmm, online tattoo forum not living up to its potential.

Because strangers on the internet aren't just one person with one creative thought & don't stick with only just one idea when presented an opportunity to do more with what they're given?

Would rather you not question motives, & just help out with what I'm asking. That's the point of the thread, isn't it? That was my point in joining this site, as far as I can remember. But instead I've only gotten snide remarks & questionable comments.

WOW, I think this type of thread is a reason alot of top tatttoers only drop in on occasion at LST

I was thinking about the banner being wrapped around a sun, but the only problem I'm having with that would be what the sun would look like, to make it obvious that it's a sun, & color.
But instead I've only gotten snide remarks & questionable comments.

What part of my suggestions were "snide remarks & questionable comments"?

You've now added more input. Great, you don't want a cross. You don't want any of the traditional animals suggested. You do want a banner wrapped around something. You've now added another possible element: a sun. All these are ideas you had already, right (even though you didn't give us all of them at first). How about you let your artist know these exact ideas? I bet you he/she can draw a really nice banner wrapped around a sun that has colours and other elements that make it very clear that it's a sun.

Just because you don't like the ideas/suggestions you were given (at least, the reasonable ones. It is indeed taking lots of restrain not to just take the piss out of you), doesn't make them any less valid. We don't know what you have in mind. We can't see where you want this done, how big, or what else may be in the way (other tattoos, huge moles, horrendous car-crash scars, etc), or see what it looks like once laid out on you. All these things affect what you get. Not to mention, no one here is going to draw it for you. One person will. Perhaps you should consult with him/her. Well, lookie here, it just so happens you have a consultation scheduled with the artist. That'll come in handy.

I miss the old days of Usenet, when people knew what netiquette was (as opposed to the cesspool Usenet has now turned into). Here's a clue-by-four: We don't work for you.

Damn, I got beat to it. I will add a bit though, just because I want to. I remember the first few times I went in to tattoo studios. There was definitely an air of "if you don't feel like you fit in here, you probably don't". I know there is something to be said about artists being polite "enough" to consumers, but at the end of the day a tattoo studio is not your grandma's gift shoppe. I've also felt a bit of the same thing here. From what I can tell this is not your run of the mill "dude I got a dope-ass tribal armband!" tattoo forum. It seems to be a really well run place, where most of the people involved are serious about what they do. The artists on here seem to be the real deal and most of the non-artists seem to be serious about getting tattooed. That means you're gonna get the same shit here that you would if you walked in to a shop. As PhilB so eloquently put it... we don't work for you.

Now that my rant is done I'll try to form a serious response to your original question.

It may just be me, but the idea of the word "rejoice" inside a banner seems like an odd idea for someone of no religious leaning. Regardless of your intention a lot of people will read it as religious. I'm also not a real big fan text combined with other stuff... although there are certainly exceptions to everything. I've heard it said, and I think it's a valid point, that if you want a tattoo to "say" something then often a good artist can make it "say" what you want without having to spell it out. I would get just a nice sun or just the word "rejoice" in a nice script before I would go putting them together.

I'm curious about the roots of your idea for this...are you pagan or a naturalist or something and trying to convey a rejoicing for nature? Recovering from something and rejoicing for another day above ground?

What's up everyone.

I've finally raised enough money to get my next tattoo. I already have a.. vague idea of what I want & the placement of said tattoo.

What I've been wanting is the word rejoice, inside some sort of banner & that banner being wrapped around something. Also, the placement of this tat is going on my upper forearm, below my bicep.

Anyone have any good advice/ ideas I can throw around & brain storm with? Would be truly appreciated, along with every other type of kindness I can spew at you guys.

Ask me questions if that helps you get an idea,

personal or not, I'll answer it proudly.

Thanks!

Getting a bunch of advice on the internet makes the tattooers job that much harder. I am not going to judge your idea, but the whole thing doesn't make sense to me, you want traditional, but you want thin lines? Plus you don't seem to reject most ideas for a traditional tattoo. You want the word Rejoice, but not to be related to any religious imagery? It's really hard to truly convey your idea on the internet and that's probably why tattooers make you come in for consultations. Good luck.

Getting a bunch of advice on the internet makes the tattooers job that much harder. I am not going to judge your idea, but the whole thing doesn't make sense to me, you want traditional, but you want thin lines? Plus you don't seem to reject most ideas for a traditional tattoo. You want the word Rejoice, but not to be related to any religious imagery? It's really hard to truly convey your idea on the internet and that's probably why tattooers make you come in for consultations. Good luck.

Some of the best tattoos come out from people with little and no strict guidelines from the person getting the tatttoo. If you let the tattooer do their job and make your tattoo become a part of their art form I beleive that your tattoo will come together alot better than asking around for advice from complete strangers. Instead of asking what to get have a general sense of what you want, then ask WHO to go to. Because you should have a solid relationship with your artist and in such a great tattoo will correspond.