Why?

Reyeslv

So last night I went to a friends house to watch the UFC fights. There were a few people that have had some work down buy this girl who works out if her kitchen. NEVER have I seen a collection of complete and utter CRAP. What's funny is all they talked about was how cheap she is. I just don't get WHY someone would pay sooo little for something that is sooo important. It's not like a cheap haircut. I was talking to one of the "victims" and said I was getting something done on Friday. She asked "by whom" which I replied Aaron Coleman. She said "Oh a friend of mine got some work done by him. He charges by the hour and takes lots of breaks..." I said that's fine with me, that means he takes his time and I don't mind breaks in between the pain.

I feel you dude. I was just talking to someone the other day about a recent shitty tattoo they got and they said the guy is "pretty good for around here". I told them there are actually tattooists around here that are plain old GOOD, not just for here, for anywhere. Then they were the usual complaints of money and likely having to schedule something at least 2 weeks ahead. I just said that they'll get the tattoo they deserve. People want to be stupid, shitty fuckheads, then they deserve stupid shitty tattoos.

Yeah man. I think most of us know that it isn't very polite to discuss how much someone charged you, etc etc. People who make it about the money don't care about the art. Luckily, those of us who actually get solid tattoos by solid tattooers can say so. I mean, bragging itself is poor manners, but it sure is nice knowing in your head.

My mom told me a story once about how she was checking out at the grocery store. The person in front of her was covered in shitty tattoos. She called me later, relayed the story and said, "The only thing I could think was my son has so much nicer looking tattoos." :)

Yeah man. I think most of us know that it isn't very polite to discuss how much someone charged you, etc etc.

I agree, what's funny is one of the guys asked how much I pay for my work. I told him "I don't remember..." He showed me this blotch on his arm that was supposed to be an eagle and a flag and said "I paid 60 bucks for this...." I was speechless and didn't want to insult him. The piece was horrible, lines were blurred and colors were awful.

So last night I went to a friends house to watch the UFC fights. There were a few people that have had some work down buy this girl who works out if her kitchen. NEVER have I seen a collection of complete and utter CRAP. What's funny is all they talked about was how cheap she is. I just don't get WHY someone would pay sooo little for something that is sooo important. It's not like a cheap haircut. I was talking to one of the "victims" and said I was getting something done on Friday. She asked "by whom" which I replied Aaron Coleman. She said "Oh a friend of mine got some work done by him. He charges by the hour and takes lots of breaks..." I said that's fine with me, that means he takes his time and I don't mind breaks in between the pain.

I think a lot of bad tattoo stories start with "I went to a friends house to watch a UFC fight." I have a couple of those stories myself.

'in some respect the commodification of this practices (tattoo) and their claims to be 'art' require as to treat them as no different then any other form of personal consumption in the West. In the words of one clear-sighted enthusiast, 'The guy with 10,000$ worth of tattoos is no different then the guy in an Italian designer suit wearing a Rolex.'

Ed Hardy

1. For each exclusive commodity there is a niche for illegal copies

2. for every standardised and regulated industry there are people committed to operate outside of this industry, often in opposition to it.( think street art- most of it is a nuisance and it IS illegal, mostly quite bad too. But there's no stopping them, it's about personal freedom)

3. Goods that are common cannot be exclusive but having no cash for Nike's trainers never stopped anybody from running. They'll buy Chineese exports.

And I could go on and on with reasons WHY. The bottom line is the answer is as simple and as complicated as the modern capitalist society.

I love it when people ask me how much my tattoos cost. I always reply with, "Sorry, they're not for sale."

I'll be using that one. I have this cheapskate brother in law... a mass of $25 tattoos from 30 years ago. He always asks me how much I pay per hour, etc. I finally stopped telling him what I paid for the latest one.. he knows a shop that charges $75 per hour... He asked for a card for the shop I go to, which I always have on me... but not to give to him.

CG

Yeah man. I think most of us know that it isn't very polite to discuss how much someone charged you, etc etc. People who make it about the money don't care about the art. Luckily, those of us who actually get solid tattoos by solid tattooers can say so. I mean, bragging itself is poor manners, but it sure is nice knowing in your head.

My mom told me a story once about how she was checking out at the grocery store. The person in front of her was covered in shitty tattoos. She called me later, relayed the story and said, "The only thing I could think was my son has so much nicer looking tattoos." :)

I may not go to the best artist in the world, but I like the shop, the artwork and tattoo work is great and I get tons of compliments. The artwork is the bottom line, so I had to sell a kidney for my last tat.. it'll grow back I'm sure. Great story about your mom, just about anyone knows a bad ink job when they see it.

CG

Lately I have seen shops advertising on sites such as 'one day' and 'grab one' . Not sure if you have such sites in the states but they are basically grab a deal sites, get yourself two hours tattooing for $80 usually $200 type shit. My wife gets all the emails and forwards them to me for a laugh. Any shop that needs to advertise discounted rates to get people through the door obviously is bad news. A couple guys at my work have purchased these deals and I have seen the subsequent abortions, the thing is they think it's good stuff and that's after seeing my work on a daily basis. Tattoos aren't for everyone especially people that look for the cheapest, fuck off...right off!!!

The shop I talk about in this thread: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/war-stories/2126-sometimes-morbid-curiosity.html

often advertises on CraigsList. I also see all kind of "deals" on their Facebook page. Their latest:

OK. This month we decided to do something NEVER done before. One person per day will receive their tattoo ABSOLUTELY FREE!

All others will draw for amount of discount to be given. How? You come in, get your tatty and draw from a bin to see how much you save. There will be one slip marked FREE every day, so it could be YOU!

Yeah...

They also claim:

WE ARE MOVING!!

Our two new shops in New Westminster and Vancouver are under construction right now but should be opening in the next week or two!

Until then we are offering On Site Service (housecalls) at no extra charge for your convenience.

Call now to book your appointment!

[/Quote]

Housecall tattooing? WTF?

Just had a facebook add by GroupOn... apparently Groupon offers 70% discount coupons on tattoos now. Needless to say the places where you can claim the discount deserve to be beaten to pulp with a baseballbat

haha I saw that too the shops are fucking terrible lol.