18 Years in the Biz

On another forum, one of the posters got a new tattoo, so I asked him who did it. He says, "Damon is his name. I really can't remember his full name. He works out of Revolution here in West Lafayette... been doing it for 18 years or so. He's really good." So of course I got to check out this experienced, talented tattooer for myself.

This is what I found: Tattoos | Facebook

Some of the gems:

62296_143068195737840_142279372483389_230691_6248678_n.jpg

58174_143700755674584_142279372483389_233821_2779283_n.jpg

166464_163345947043398_142279372483389_336419_3226855_n.jpg

I would have enjoyed this thread a lot more if you posted the work of someone you thought was doing something really cool than slagging someone not here to defend themselves. There are so many shitty tattooers in every town everywhere now. How about ignoring them and progressing and drawing attention to people doing the same.

Actually "Mum" is the correct spelling for the UK.

tumblr_m3f5dtQSJQ1qlerqho1_500.jpg

:)

I've seen people just today with worse stuff than that. Granted it isn't good but I don't think it is atrocious. I saw somebody with a worse tattoo just 2 hours agao.

There are probably 1000 "tatty wizards" giving all their "brosefs and juggalos" stuff that makes those tattoos look Godly. Right this second.

I learned a long time ago that doing something for a long time does not make anyone an automatic authority or expert. I've seen a lot worse tattoos than this though.

Absolutely, these aren't even in the top 5% of the worst I've personally seen.. on other people, really...

CG

I would have enjoyed this thread a lot more if you posted the work of someone you thought was doing something really cool than slagging someone not here to defend themselves. There are so many shitty tattooers in every town everywhere now. How about ignoring them and progressing and drawing attention to people doing the same.

Believe me, I said the same things to the guy when I saw him post about his new tattoo. And I do contribute with these I think are really cool, it's just that the guy was defending a terrible tattooer just because he got something from him. Then again, the tattooer never got to defend himself, so I get that.

That all said, I get what you are saying, and I'll be posting quality work from now on.

Everything is relative...the man could just be tattooing exactly what the customer asked for. That said, if I walked into his shop and saw the work on that facebook page, I wouldn't let him anywhere near me. Guess I'm old-fashioned, but I just can't get behind that style of work.

Everything is relative...the man could just be tattooing exactly what the customer asked for. That said, if I walked into his shop and saw the work on that facebook page, I wouldn't let him anywhere near me. Guess I'm old-fashioned, but I just can't get behind that style of work.

Even I know to keep away from tattooers like this one. I mean 18 years? It seems far fetched seeing his style (or the lack of it) so I wouldn't trust him. I'm not an expert so cannot say any more then that...just wouldn't trust him with my tattoo no matter how hard people defended his work. As for the tattoos he does I just can't believe that after '18 years in the biz' he can't advise his clients something better to tattoo or tattoo it better...

huh? what?! whats wrong with wonky poorly colored and misplaced? :/

I don't feel I have the right to bash anyone, didn't earn my stripes yet but 'poorly coloured' is the first thing that hits my eye...

What bugs me most is the claim of him being so experienced...

Maybe he just has lots and lots of experience of being mediocre? I've got quite a few years worth of that under my belt, myself.

Adam Sandler is fairly experienced and coincidentally enough if you consider Billy Madison started filming in 1994 he'd have the same 18 year experience. The same 18 year experience for say, Robert Deniro, starts with Mean Streets in 1973, concludes with Cape Fear in 1991, and has highlights of Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, The Godfather Part II, Raging Bull, King of Comedy (MA! I'M TRYNA TATTOO HERE!), Midnight Run, Once Upon A Time In America, The Untouchables and Goodfellas.

I don't feel I have the right to bash anyone, didn't earn my stripes yet but 'poorly coloured' is the first thing that hits my eye...

What bugs me most is the claim of him being so experienced...

i was truely being sarcastic... i completely agree with you though

this is the thing about someone who has been tattooing a long time. in certain circumstances of course. he might very well have a good bed side manner. when i was learning to tattoo (15 years ago) there were quite a few tattooers out there that had these grand reputations but there work wasnt so great. it all boiled down to they were super likable and had a great shop to be in and for that their customers swore up and down they were the best. so it can very well be that this guy has been tattooing for that long and his reputation supercedes him. i can definitely be wrong but it doesnt suprize me in the least to see this guy working. then again as all tattooers know clients arent as educated as they need to be and im not talking about someone whos up on the whos who and whats what in the industry.

Even I know to keep away from tattooers like this one. I mean 18 years? It seems far fetched seeing his style (or the lack of it) so I wouldn't trust him. I'm not an expert so cannot say any more then that...just wouldn't trust him with my tattoo no matter how hard people defended his work. As for the tattoos he does I just can't believe that after '18 years in the biz' he can't advise his clients something better to tattoo or tattoo it better...

Some people don't get that there is a difference between 18 years of experience and 1 year of experience 18 times. :-)

• 1 year later...