How Can You Tell If You Are Alchoholic?

Hunter Morrow

They used to trot him out to do Christmas day shows every year a while ago.. He would perform from a wheelchair. I'm not sure whether there was something wrong with his legs back then, or it was simply a way of stopping him from falling off stage. He puked during his 'performance' two years in a row.

Met him once when I was bartending during college. His drink was a pint glass, half full with a spirit, and topped up with a mixer.

His drink was a pint glass, half full with a spirit, and topped up with a mixer.

Reminds me of the time the pub near the shop got a new bartender. I worked til 1am and went over for a drink or two. The new girl didn't know a double didn't come in a pint glass so she poured a pint of Jameson on the rocks. Back up to the bar for a second at 1:30...and that's how you make up for working four hours late.

Reminds me of the time the pub near the shop got a new bartender. I worked til 1am and went over for a drink or two. The new girl didn't know a double didn't come in a pint glass so she poured a pint of Jameson on the rocks. Back up to the bar for a second at 1:30...and that's how you make up for working four hours late.

I feel only slightly guilty when I benefit from a bartender's ignorance / newness. A couple of times I've ordered a really good whiskey, something that's like 12-18 years old, and they can't be bothered hunting for the correct price on the till, so they just ring it up as the generic cheap whiskey button that they're used to pressing. From the equivalent of $15 to $4 as if by magic...

Do you think there are some drinks that work on you less even if it is the same proof?

Like brandy versus whiskey. I had 8 Brandy drinks in short order last night and then went biking all around town for 2 hours. If that had been 8 whiskey drinks I would have had a hard time even walking home.

They are both 80 proof, right?

I sort of swore off the whiskeys and bourbons a long time ago... got tired of them knocking my dick into my watch pocket time after time. The same proof gin seems to agree with me a lot more. I can tolerate 6-8 gin & tonics and resemble a human being.. best I can.

CG

I drink maybe 4 or 5 beers a year. Used to drink a fifth of Scotch in an evening, but the doctor told me there wasn't enough blood in my alcohol stream, so I quit, what, about ten years ago.

It ain't too bad, but it's like Dean Martin said, "if you don't drink, you get up in the morning, and shit, that's as good as it's gonna get!"