ink trouble

autosdafe

OK this has happened only a couple times, but I have had people that won't take ink during the tattooing process. Its like there skin just won't be tattooed. I'll change inks needles machines voltage nothing works. Anyone else have this problem and anyone know why this happens.

just a heads up you're not going to get this answered here. this forum has been set up to avoid making tattoo knowledge available to the public. maybe you'll get an answer in a PM, maybe/probably you won't...

Tattoo Newbie Guidelines

specifically:

Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't.

Do not start threads regarding closely guarded trade secrets - this will keep LST a much more welcoming place for everyone, tattooers and enthusiasts alike.

Well where is a site I can get this answered? When I went through my apprenticeship I was told some people just don't take ink and nothing can be done. He was a terrible teacher and I believe he has to be wrong.

I hope somebody will be able to answer this problem, I want to be ready for the next person that comes along.

Well where is a site I can get this answered? When I went through my apprenticeship I was told some people just don't take ink and nothing can be done. He was a terrible teacher and I believe he has to be wrong.

I hope somebody will be able to answer this problem, I want to be ready for the next person that comes along.

I have always been taught if you want to learn something from a tattooer, ask them while they are tattooing you. It may not work but it's your best shot. The answer you are looking for is not going to be covered in a couple of sentences in a forum post and really can't be surmised from the two sentences you have shared about your problem. You deal with customers you know how much easier it is to deal with people in person vs. on the phone or email.

So, you're currently working, then? At a shop? You're not the only employee, are you? Surely, there are more experienced artists there.

See what I did there?

@autosdafe

eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com

Yahoo! Answers - Home

First Internet Clown School. Academy of Performing Arts in Clowning

But you're right.

...nothing can be done.
It's not your fault, it's someone else's. Don't feel bad about it.

No, it isn't true that "Some people don't take ink" but it is true that some people don't take bullshit.

then you have no business tattooing anyone. problem solved.

cupcakes seem to be the big rage now (tattoo popularity is on the outs) so why don't you teach yourself how to bake? check out youtube and other websites and you can learn it easy.

If there is an Internet correspondence course...this isn't it...and you wouldn't want to be tattooed by someone who took it. What I'm saying is -- you don't tattoo on the Internet so don't try to learn on the internet. The "site" you go to is the worksite and if the one you're at isn't providing knowledge or has failed to, suck it up, take the loss and find another or rethink things and decide if a person seeking this information online has the dedication to even use it well. There's a framework of sacred and earned information and an approach to the myriad variables of tattooing that you just can't google. I wonder how many people are on dentistry forums asking for help with the very basics of the job?

...I was told some people just don't take ink and nothing can be done. He was a terrible teacher and I believe he has to be wrong...

I would venture to guess that people short on hard earned knowledge run into these ink-proof clients a lot. If you don't trust the information your "mentor" gave you, don't use it -- and that goes for the whole damn thing -- it's all suspect. If your next and future clients aren't worth starting over -- the seeking and the re-education...pack it in.

Actually there is myself and the owner of the shop. If we knew the answers to this I wouldn't bother with asking on this site. I can't go get tattooed at another shop because around here none of the shops are on good terms with each other. Its the one thing I hate about the tattoo scene here. Everyone is a dick to each other. If I step foot in another shop they get all pissy about you being an artist coming in their shop. Hell I seem to be getting a little heat from a few of you here. I understand you guys have the occasional scratched come on here trying to learn to tattoo. I was once a scratcher. Seth cifferri was a scratched once too. Hell I'm sure some of the artists here were as well. But eventually you get in a shop get a license and join this industry. I'm not here trying learn how to lay a line or make grey wash or pack some color. I'm just trying to find out what to do for these rare people whos skin won't take ink. The owner has watched it happen with me and was baffled as well. Some may be thinking its the stretch or its the needles or the machine. If it was that simple I wouldn't be here . I've done about 1500 tattoos and have had maybe at most 5 people like this. The answer is out there I hope I can find it.

BUT THATS A COOL NAME TO USE BRO.

And if you (autodude) were to use Seth as an example, you should also know that he had his brother and P Wee (both well-trained and experienced tattooers at well respected established shops) to help him out when he needed it, by being on hand in person to get it done right.

for real though, there is no shame in seeking out a second apprenticeship to learn how to do it right. It would really benefit you and your ability to grow at better pace with a well-trained mentor. If the owner of the shop you're at now can't help you, then it's the blind leading the blind. so what if it sets you back a step from what you are currently doing; it will soon launch you 5 steps ahead of where you are now.

The internet will get you absolutely nowhere.

Yeah, and think about how he's leading by his example for the "All my kid's friends are doing it" crowd.

There is another one with the kid sitting on the coach while his little brother watches over his shoulder but this one sumed it up fairly well. Minors tattooing themselves with 37 dollah kits from EBay is not yet regulated or ever will be. I can see the legislation now; "No person under the age of 18 shall tattoo themselves within their dwelling", getting specific won't help a thing. I know this is way off topic from the original post, sorry, I'm just so disgusted.