I have fallen asleep during tattoos, and since i snore i feel that its rude to fall asleep, so i like to eat a burrito before hand and I always have to have a Coke while im getting tattooed. Sometimes I'll read articles or certain books beforehand so I have something interesting to talk about. I talk alot as it is so I might as well have something cool to say or an awesome story to tell.

Just wondering, has anyone else had good results with Maxiline?

I have not tried Maxilene but I did try a similar product called Emla that my mom got from working at the hospital. It's a topical analgesic and you put it on the same way... slather it on and then wrap the body part in plastic wrap about 2 hours before your appt. I tried this when Tim Lehi was working on my ribs and I CANNOT recommend it. Basically, it's kinda ok in the beginning, I'd say maybe the first hour my side was totally numb, but then it starts to wear off and as soon as that happens the tattooing is more excruciating then ever. I believe it is because the numbness in the beginning prevents the body from doing it's natural pain management thing so your brain never dumps the endorphins or whatever chemicals it releases to fight pain. So all-of-a-sudden I would find myself in serious pain and then soon after would have to quit. This was about 10 years ago so maybe these products have improved since then, but I am convinced that au-natural is the best for me. Of course the older I get the less time I can sit. Used to be able to endure about 4 hours before becoming too whiney and squirmy.... that time is down to about 2.5 hours. What a wuss!

• 7 months later...

This is a really interesting thread. I guess I expected the food-related rituals that people have - but I'm surprised about the topical pain relief ointment and the pre-tattoo drinks... Not judging anyone, but I always mentally ruled those things out as potentially earning me a bollocking from my artist.

For me my rituals coming back from The Family Business in London were that I would always walk up to Islington and have a few pints of cask ale. Then dinner followed by cheesecake. :p

On the topic of pain relief, I did a double take when someone I knew with a new backpiece told me that they took oxycontin or an equivalent painkiller during long sessions. I had assumed that was a total no-no - or am I just seriously naive?

I don't understand taking pain killers. It's mainly because I get tattooed spontaneously for the most part and I don't want to get used to something that won't always be readily available. Plus, I kind of think "no pain, no game." Man, when I got my stomach tattooed it was one of the worst pains I've ever experienced, but when I was done I was pretty pumped on having sat like a champ for it. It made me feel like I truly earned it, especially since it's a badass tattoo (panther fighting a snake).

Fuck, once I saw a kid getting his area code tattooed on him in the shape of weapons, and he was fucking balling. It was very ironic and pathetic.

the no drinking thing has primarily been a filter for obnoxious drunks in my experience- Ive had a couple shots beforehand several times (artists were friends, knew it etc) and its nice...I had a lortab beforehand once (had my wisdom teeth out the day before) and it kinda made it worse, like i never got the endorphins, maybe I was ust too ground down to be tattooed

I use to make sure I ate about an hour before, and then after I'd head out to find a med rare steak or burger. A few nights ago I got my first tattoo since going vegetarian. I did not get a steak or a burger and I was hella grumpy because of it. Not a happy camper. Now I have to find some other after tattoo ritual. Seeing as beer is so highly recommended, I think I will start with that and build from there.

I've also felt that pain killers were cheating, like if you had the balls for a tattoo then you should have the balls for a tattoo. I've had one artist use numbing cream once during the work, but I didn't see that it made that much of a difference. When I get around to doing my ribs I'm pretty sure I'll cry like a sissy and probably cheat any way I can and screw what I thought before. We've had a couple of highly medicated people come in the shop and they made me uncomfortable. I'd hate to have a medical emergency on my hands if they misjudged their dosing.

Pre: Bitch about getting tattooed.

Drugs: 1 muscle relaxer. 1 non-drowsy antihistamine.

I've found that I tense up heavily after 3+ hours of getting tattooed, so the muscle relaxer keeps me from converting all of that tension into a sore body after the tattoo. Sore body + sore tattoo and no one wins. The antihistamine keeps the surface of the skin from swelling up so much and makes it a little more bearable.

Food: Totally changed my ritual since reading my friend David's take on tattoo nutrition.

Pre: Try and get good sleep (never happens, to excited), eat a good meal about an hour before to let it digest... and bitch about getting tattooed haha

During: Water and juice at the ready, and some chocolate for the breaks

Post: Another good feed, a beautifully rolled joint, a shower when its time, finish the joint and have naps. Unfortunately though, joints aren't always an option in Japan so a beer also goes down a treat to help with naps.

I was once going to take a muscle relaxer when I was finishing off my first sleeve as I had to sit until it was done (the artist was heading overseas) There was even a pharmacy next to the studio. however, because the session was after hours the pharmacy had shut and so I had to suck it up for the 5 hours. 2 1/2 of those hours was the inside of my upper arm... and it truly did suck lol. My mate had already been tattooing for around 10hours, wasn't leaving until finished, and suffice to say he wasn't in the best mood/tired so he was a little more heavy handed than usual haha

1 hour before i drink a large bottle of belgian ale and 10mgs of vicodin...

That used to be my recipe for life up until about 2 years ago =)

Pre: Eat, hydrate, mentally prepare

During: Chew gum, drink water of over 1.5 hour, breathe, talk to the artist as the vibe permits, alot of time I zone out and meditate on the pain, trying to be in it vs. detaching ala the lye scene in "Fight Club"

After: Big heavy meal, shower after at least 2.5 hours to wash off blood/plasma, apply A&D

Like most of you I always make sure I have eaten and am well hydrated before getting tattooed. I got tattooed once at a convention without eating first and had to spend the rest of the day in my hotel room wanting to die. I almost always try to take a half a loritab or something similar unless it's a really short tattoo in an easy spot. I also find for about a week leading up to my appointment I tell myself over and over and over that's it's going to be horrible and hurt really bad and that I will hate it. I find this puts your brain and body into this mode where you're just expecting it to be the worst thing you've ever felt, and then when it's not you're like sweet this doesn't hurt half as bad as I thought!

Durring the tattoo I focus on my breathing, in and out, in and out, smooth, even and deep breaths. Think of it as the same breathing techniques used in meditation or yoga. I find it helps you focus less on the pain and more on being calm and still.

Afterwards it depends on the severity of the tattoo session. If it's a small 20 minute banger I just go about my regular day like normal. If it's a large or shitty spot I usually take a nap and then eat a good meal. For me I find it's more about the pre-tattoo than the post-tattoo. I once walked 30 minutes in the Florida heat to work after getting about 2 hours on my back and it was the single worst post-tattoo decision I've ever made. I ended up having to leave work about an hour later because I felt like I was going to barf/pass out or maybe do both.

I havnt been tattooed in about 15 yrs, this thread is making me think I wont be able to cope with the pain. I am going through laser so maybe its readying me for the experience

From everything I've heard about laser is supposedly hurts way more than getting tattooed so I'm sure you'll be fine!

I once walked 30 minutes in the Florida heat to work after getting about 2 hours on my back and it was the single worst post-tattoo decision I've ever made. I ended up having to leave work about an hour later because I felt like I was going to barf/pass out or maybe do both.

I'm fairly certain I would have barfed and passed out weeellll before ever making it to my destination.

I normally get the train to London before hand, eat something on the train and then run like mad across London because my train always arrives late even if I get the earlier one. During I normally have a sugary drink and try not to laugh or move to much. Afterwards it's back on the train for another 2-3hours whilst I eat a big chocolate bar and then home, shower and more food. The only part of London I know is the route from the tube station to frith street lol :P

I normally get the train to London before hand, eat something on the train and then run like mad across London because my train always arrives late even if I get the earlier one. During I normally have a sugary drink and try not to laugh or move to much. Afterwards it's back on the train for another 2-3hours whilst I eat a big chocolate bar and then home, shower and more food. The only part of London I know is the route from the tube station to frith street lol :P

I travel from Swindon, Wiltshire. The train is usually pretty much on time, most of the time. If I'm with my partner and if shes getting tattooed she likes to pop into Fiori, a nice cafe just outside Leicester Square tube station. Then, for her, a visit to the loo and then before we've even got to Frith Street (a 10 minute walk) its a visit to the Cambridge pub to visit their loo. Two visits in 10 minutes. What is it with female plumbing?

I normally get off at totenham court road tube station so it's only a few minutes walk, and if I'm actually ever early I normally sit in soho square to relax and have a drink. Are there any good pubs around Frith Street for a drink? I think after my first session on my back piece I'll need one.