Japenese ideas?

Dang! I actually am Japanese! Well 4th gen ABJ

HAHA! The funniest thing is that after I wrote that line, the first thing I thought was "Wait... I think @Lance may have Japanese heritage... ok, he can be the exception" (I think they're might be a few others also...)

Don't get me wrong, I respect the traditions and for the most part try and do them justice. As an example I have sakura and a chrysanthemum in one sleeve. These flowers are from different seasons and shouldn't be together... However, for my cultural heritage (Whitey lol) a 'mum represents your Mum so I got it at the time since I wasn't sure if I'd get another sleeve (who was I kidding?) I've had conversations with Japanese tattooers about the sleeve and they dig why I got it and also know that I did do my reading into the history and that I respect it. :)

Is this for the same sleeve that has the Koi? Or are we moving to the other side now?

The beauty for us not being Japanese or having Japanese heritage (ok, the latter is a presumption on my part but lets go with it) we don't have to be bound by traditions and you can take a few little artistic liberties with your tattooer ;)

My suggestion would be read up on as much reference material as you can, and take notes (I did) Find out what motifs either a) you have a strong connection with or b) you think are simply bad ass and go with them.

If you wanted to be a stiffler for tradition, then you couldn't get ShiShi with Sakura, only Botan (Peonies) But I think a Lotus could work as it's a chinese flower? ( @Stewart Robson at a guess I'd say you'd know a lot more on this than I and could shed more light?) But as I said earlier, we can get away with a few of these 'mistakes' If you do your research, know the history and have your own desires for the images then you've educated yourself and it's what YOU want. Know the history, respect it and then do what you want lol (not exactly like that but anyway...)

I'm trying to find an article online by Matt Cunnington called (funnily enough) "Talking ShiShi" it cohesively explains the point I was just trying to make, and a hell of a lot better than I just did haha. If anyone can find it, please post and you get extra points!

One other thing I will say though is - Don't try and clutter things up to much. Less can be more ;) BUT your tattooer should be able to help out there.

Hm, well what do you think on this right here? What should I do with it. Or what do you think I should add?

b3c4296f.jpg

13749dce.jpg

Probably best to listen to Stewart (get more Koi, they do like friends) or your tattooer and not me when I have a day off and some nice bud at my disposal ;) lol. And you could always have the old work covered if you don't like it? Not a big deal, my Koi is a cover up

What's up all, here is the Koi all healed pretty much I think. Does anyone see any rough spots or spots that are noticable? The scab came off the red spot on the head and doesnt really appear to be missing any ink? Opinions on how it looks?

27c1a82e.jpg

532f1ecc.jpg

It looks like it was done by a competent tattooer, but not by one that really knows or does Japanese very well. The whole energy and flow of it seems disrupted.

It looks like it was done by a competent tattooer, but not by one that really knows or does Japanese very well. The whole energy and flow of it seems disrupted.

Not really. Hunter is a traditional tattooer. Therefore he is going to approach a tattoo that way. I prefer Japanese style tattoos with a "traditional" approach. Different strokes for different folks.