Sleeve length

Hogrider

Is there a standard place where the sleeve ends? I wanted to be able to cover my sleeve with a dress shirt, and my artist stopped it exactly where I asked, but now that I've lived with it for a while I'm thinking it might look better a little longer. I'm probably over-thinking this (like I always do). So I'm asking the experts, where does the sleeve end?

Thanks!

Without claiming to be one of the experts:-

I am bringing one arm down in a few months, and I thought the same as you: If it's visible when I'm wearing a shirt and tie at work then that's a problem for me. To be honest I figure better fractionally shorter than I could have got away with than fractionally too long, meaning I might be flashing it when I'm reaching across a table or pointing, gesturing etc.

Even if there were a 'traditional' line on the forearm or wrist then to be honest I would disregard it if it didn't suit my circumstances.

I haven't really looked into it yet but I guess I will have to put on a shirt some day and fool around and see how low I can go.

Add least you can still add if you want to. If you'd gone overboard the first time you might be regretting something that's harder to change.

This is a good topic because sleeve + chest panel is next after my back piece.

Probably depends on the design because I've seen great examples of various lengths. Don't think there's necessarily a predetermined place on the forearm where 3/4 ends--more of a client-by-client decision. I'd be interested to know if Japanese designs are more stringent with that sort of thing.

My artist is suggesting 3/4, but I admit that the forearm crosses into different territory. I'm still in the corporate world and won't be wearing long-sleeve shirts when temps hit 112 in the summer. Still, I think half sleeving it would be wimping out. Have to wrestle with this one a little more, myself.

This is a good topic because sleeve + chest panel is next after my back piece.

Probably depends on the design because I've seen great examples of various lengths. Don't think there's necessarily a predetermined place on the forearm where 3/4 ends--more of a client-by-client decision. I'd be interested to know if Japanese designs are more stringent with that sort of thing.

My artist is suggesting 3/4, but I admit that the forearm crosses into different territory. I'm still in the corporate world and won't be wearing long-sleeve shirts when temps hit 112 in the summer. Still, I think half sleeving it would be wimping out. Have to wrestle with this one a little more, myself.

Even with half sleeves you still have to wear a long sleeve shirt and roll up the sleeves, in my mind there is not much difference between half and three quarters. My right arm goes down below my wrist bone, right up to the top of my hand, my left stops at wrist bone for now, at times I wish I would have left a little room to cuff my sleeves, but mostly I just want to get my hands done, but even without having to consider professional restraints, it's a big step to not be able to hide tattoos in public.

If being hidden is a main concern. Put on a long sleeve shirt and then put both hands behind your head, same as you might do when relaxing in a chair and throwing ideas around with your boss. That position tends to show the most skin as the shirt sleeve will ride up just a bit.

Fortunately, neither of my bosses at the time were concerned enough to mention seeing ink - nor eventually promoting me, either.

Full Japanese sleeves fall about an inch short of the wrist condyles...and they do look a little too short to look at. Remember, the Japanese tradition was such that the tattooing could be covered in typical clothing.

Having said that, people don't always adhere to convention and tradition.

If one NEVER wants their tattoos to show even while wearing long sleeves, I'd suggest 3/4 length or shorter. Mine end about about 3/4" above my wrist bone and even with long shirt sleeves they poke out occasionally. It could be different for others though. For work I'm often pointing at things, whether it be a graphic on a computer screen, pointing at something pinned to the wall, or stretching across a table looking over a set of drawings during meetings. If you have to point go shorter.

When doing oriental work I try to stop sleeves at the narrowest point on the wrist which is usually about 2 fingers from the base of your palm. Same goes for ankles. If you find it a bit too short it can be the perfect space for small fillers like those prayer beads one sometimes finds in Japanese bodysuits.

I agree; i thought long and hard about 1 inch coming down my hand ( vine) because i cannot hide it anymore. And like it or not, still prejudice out there about tattoo in workplace..... And still had it made. Will see in september how people will react (teacher grade 8) . My students will shut up for sure; they are scared already because i bike to work. Only class of teenagers that shuts up on command :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am no expert, but I believe the sleeve length totally depends on your stand point, and what type of occupation you hold. Because I am in school for Accounting, to become a CA, I stopped my sleeve, one inch from my wrist, in the assumption that any dress shirt will cover this up. I personally would love to extend it, all the way down to my hands, and have my knuckles done as well, but I know that at this point in my life, it is not an option. Basically, go with your guy instinct, and you should be fine.

Well, my sleeve terminates about an inch from my hand. Today was my first day back in work, wearing long sleeves, and my immediate observation is that when I drive a car or hold my hand up the shirt cuff naturally drops back a little bit and the edge of the tattoo becomes visible. It won't be a problem for me, but my observation is that @Lance was dead right when he said that the only way to be sure is to go for a 3/4 length sleeve.

Well, my sleeve terminates about an inch from my hand. Today was my first day back in work, wearing long sleeves, and my immediate observation is that when I drive a car or hold my hand up the shirt cuff naturally drops back a little bit and the edge of the tattoo becomes visible. It won't be a problem for me, but my observation is that @Lance was dead right when he said that the only way to be sure is to go for a 3/4 length sleeve.

Both of my forearm tattoos end just over an inch from the line where the palm meets. And they are visible if I stretch or reach for something without thinking. I sort of unconsciously look around or just be careful when reaching for something. I always bring a dress shirt with me when I get inked and have some concerns. Me and the artist agree on where to stop the tattooing before it starts.

The 3/4 sleeve is a great idea, wished I thought of it sooner. Too late now... Has anyone ever extended a 3/4 sleeve into a full sleeve and had it looking good?

CG

@Colored Guy

Don't get me wrong - I can tolerate a little bit of exposure, I'm still happy I went with the length I did. If I'm covered 99% of the time, that's good enough for me.

But then again, I guess it depends on the job and what's at stake, right?

I'm ok with people I know well, just don't want too many people up the food chain to see or customers. Not really that much at stake, just my level of comfort with dealing with people.

CG

• 3 weeks later...