is there a code of ethics that i am missing when walking into a shop as a newbie?

Brian Wermund

I've spent the last 14 months scrubbing bathrooms, floors and tubes to get where I am. It isn't easy to find someone willing to dedicate their time to teach you their craft. You have to prove that this is truly where your heart is and it will be worth it to them. An apprenticeship isn't just learning to tattoo, it's paying your fucking dues. I have never had a problem just going into any shop. I have been able spend time with tattooers whom I really look up to and they have taught me many things even though they were not my mentor. Why? Because I'm doing it right and I've shown them the respect they deserve.

That woman treated you the way you deserved to be treated.

Really?

This shit's Bubbleberry all over again. Someone please swing the hammer and end this. I'm convinced that threads like these are the reason so many tattoo artists have stopped posting on this site. Do we really want to lose the few that have stuck around??

I know it's why I haven't been logging in do often now.

Ok, @Brian Wermund, it seems silly to send you the link to the newbie guidelines since I'd be willing to bet you crafted this thread to specifically skirt all the rules about posting. But here it is: Last Sparrow Tattoo - Newbie Guidelines

Not sure if you've received any PMs from the other mods on here but I'd expect one sooner rather than later. LST is a place to learn and it is a place to ask questions. It is not a place to post (not so) thinly veiled attempts to pat yourself on the back for tattooing out of your house and getting thrown out of a shop and pretending to be butthurt when strangers on the internet tell you you're wrong. I'm sure the experience won't change a thing.

Anyway, I know stirring shit up online is fun in between appointments at the kitchen table, but maybe instead you can use that time to get your hands on some books and magazines or even take a look around the site. Through a little research you might notice that most people who were relegated to tattooing at home were either 15 or shortly thereafter were able to land a proper apprenticeship where they said, "Holy shit, thank god I'm on the right track."

I've wasted way too much time on this response. And probably been way too nice. Just do us all a favor and stop trolling for a reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, go get tattooed. At a shop.

Ok, @Brian Wermund, it seems silly to send you the link to the newbie guidelines ...

Rules? We have a guy who basically says, "is there a code of ethics? I wanna know so I can ignore it, say it's stupid because it doesn't work for me and my stripper-on-a-welding-table pseudocareer or even better, doesn't apply to me because I'm this new breed of super scratcher."

Guess what -- you're the same as all the rest of them -- a scratcher, an infection in this industry. All the namastes in the world won't help you when the only thing worse than your work is the garbage you spew.

Ok, @Brian Wermund, it seems silly to send you the link to the newbie guidelines since I'd be willing to bet you crafted this thread to specifically skirt all the rules about posting. But here it is: Last Sparrow Tattoo - Newbie Guidelines

Not sure if you've received any PMs from the other mods on here but I'd expect one sooner rather than later. LST is a place to learn and it is a place to ask questions. It is not a place to post (not so) thinly veiled attempts to pat yourself on the back for tattooing out of your house and getting thrown out of a shop and pretending to be butthurt when strangers on the internet tell you you're wrong. I'm sure the experience won't change a thing.

Anyway, I know stirring shit up online is fun in between appointments at the kitchen table, but maybe instead you can use that time to get your hands on some books and magazines or even take a look around the site. Through a little research you might notice that most people who were relegated to tattooing at home were either 15 or shortly thereafter were able to land a proper apprenticeship where they said, "Holy shit, thank god I'm on the right track."

I've wasted way too much time on this response. And probably been way too nice. Just do us all a favor and stop trolling for a reaction.

Also, go get tattooed. At a shop.

@Brian Wermund,

Read this at least twice.

• 3 months later...

Granted not everyone started tattooing after completing an apprenticeships, but a majority of good respectable artists tattooing today did complete some sort of apprenticeship. Dont tattoo at home, no matter how clean you think it is. Go learn how to set up, complete a clean professional tattoo, and tear down in a sanitary way. there are too many things you dont know that will get someone sick or worse. it took me ten years to get an apprenticeship, and i can say it was worth the wait.

that scorpion is pretty nice.. i just dont understand, with all of the shops popping up, so many bullshit ones, why you couldnt get put down somewhere???? and everyone else is right, even in my small city, when good to decent shops are looking for artists, it seems like they already have a few people in mind who are already established in other shops.. like they want to put togather an amazing team, like trades in the mlb almost.. and as with anything else, people skills couldnt hurt.. dont be such a dick, man.. nobody is gonne roll up to bbq's on their beach cruiserlike debo and threaten their way into a job..

- - - Updated - - -

if chris crinkle is working out of a shop, anyone can..

why the hell was this thread resurrected? Surely you guys ( Jason & Yomoney)didnt think this was worth re-hashing.

why you couldnt get put down somewhere??.

Probably because his attitude was absolute shit. So bad in fact that I was betting on this guy being a troll. How could anybody looking for a position in a tattoo shop (or any job for that matter) be that stupid?

what. you cant blame the second guy. lol. it was top of page at my point of entry..

- - - Updated - - -

yeah his attitude is crap as fuck, is what i was sayin. theres so many shops and bs shops out there. i dont even tattoo and i bet you i could hit the bars tonight and tomorrow have a job as a tattoo artist, somewhere???