Bleeding Tattoo

aleksksks

I got tattooed today, pretty heavy solid black and I currently have my tattoo wrapped up.

I've re-wrapped it a couple of times already, the second time I noticed part of my wrist has become wrinkled like after a bath and it's still bleeding under the wrap even though it's been 5-6 hours since the session ended.

Is this a scab that's forming or something like that?

Is it normal at all? It's never happened to me before but I've never had such solid black either.

Sorry if there's a thread on this topic, I couldn't find one so I thought I'd ask about it.

I don't ever re-wrap my tattoos and I don't typically recommend doing that. If your skin is wrinkly like after a bath then it is definitely too moist. I personally would unwrap it, wash it and then just let it air out. If it seems kinda of goopy and wet then I wouldn't put any type of ointment or lotion on it yet either. Let it dry out a little and see if that helps. I've had some tattoos that have been very heavily packed with black and they get a little goopy like ink is coming out if I pat it with a paper towel. I have always jet let them dry out for a few days (regular cleaning but no lotion) and they have healed fine.

I always wrap my tattoos for two days after the session, maybe not as long if it's hot.

It's always worked for me, I think the wrap prevents not only from infection but scabbing as well by keeping the cream on the skin and not letting it rub off in your clothes etc.

I'm more concerned about the bleeding to be honest but maybe it's just because my skin has been bruised pretty bad by the huge needles or something.

My understanding was that you need a scab to occur? You have an open wound and the natural healing process is for it to scab? I dry heal for about two days just having a shower morning and night and then start applying a little Bepanthen around the two day mark. Everyone is different, but it seems to work for me :) maybe a tattooer could jump in and offer some advice?

Whoops! @missStark - you tattoo if memory serves correct?

The tattooer didn't say anything actually so I assumed I should do the same thing I normally do.

Anyway, it's not such a big deal, I think the bleeding is gonna stop overnight, it doesn't look that bad or anything, I was just wondering if it's common.

Bleeding isn't uncommon for the first day, especially if you've had a good bit of black packed in.

Once upon a time, the standard was to leave the original dressing on for 24 hours, minumum, and then reemove it and shower, keep the work moist with a light lotion. Now, more tattooists seem to recommend leaving the original dressing on for about 4 hours, and then cleaning the work and keeping it lighttly moistened.

If you've had it by now for what, almost a day? Gently wash it, let it dry completely. If you're oozing serum after washing it and letting it dry, pat it with a paper towel until the serum ooze stops.

I'm sure it will. I kept the wrapping on overnight on a lower leg tattoo with a lot of solid colour.

Even with the wrapping I ended up with blood and ink all over the sheets. Gave it a thorough wash in the morning. Got all the gunk and crap off and it healed just fine.

As far as re-wrapping a tattoo, personally I wouldn't risk it. Having said that, tattoos can be healed this way but it is a laborious process and the procedure for washing, drying and re-wrapping has to be meticulous (I believe burns are healed this way).

My understanding was that you need a scab to occur? You have an open wound and the natural healing process is for it to scab? I dry heal for about two days just having a shower morning and night and then start applying a little Bepanthen around the two day mark. Everyone is different, but it seems to work for me :) maybe a tattooer could jump in and offer some advice?

Yeh, I unwrap as soon as I get home, warm shower, then just let it be with light coats of bepanthan and showers morning and night. I've never had a problem and most of my work has healed completely within a week.

I unwrapped it this morning because it was warm and I've been washing it and putting cream on it every couple of hours.

It looks pretty good but it's a little wrinkled in one spot, maybe that won't heal that well but we'll see.

Less is more buddy! Sounds like you may be paying it a little too much attention.. Let your body heal itself and let the wound actually get time to heal before you start dousing it with water and lotion.

Less is more buddy! Sounds like you may be paying it a little too much attention.. Let your body heal itself and let the wound actually get time to heal before you start dousing it with water and lotion.

I second this notion. I started out over caring for my tattoos and slowly weened off the crazy amounts of attention till I found a sweet spot.

The golden rule I follow is this. It is an open would care of it as such. Would you slather up an abrasion with lotion then wrap it up all day?

Yes I do :)

• 2 years later...

Hey, so newbie here! I just got my first 2 tattoos last night, best decision ever! However I'm just a little concerned with how it looks today. I have one on my arm and the other on my neck, the arm one is spot on, no problems. However the neck one im not so sure. After keeping the bandage on for an hour i took it off, washed it gently and moisturized very very minimally. No bleeding occurred and i was up and checking it till midnight. This morning however, i have ink on my pillow case and it looks like the tattoo bled? Or I'm wondering if its just ink that pushed out and the ointment lifted it up with the skin and now looks likes it bled. Im not sure, here are some pictures.

10461444_10204669518163406_3281183486980191614_n_thumb.jpg 10636325_10204669518283409_5825642052157137242_n_thumb.jpg 10425891_10204669518203407_6422204362158689017_n_thumb.jpg

Hey, so newbie here! I just got my first 2 tattoos last night, best decision ever! However I'm just a little concerned with how it looks today. I have one on my arm and the other on my neck, the arm one is spot on, no problems. However the neck one im not so sure. After keeping the bandage on for an hour i took it off, washed it gently and moisturized very very minimally. No bleeding occurred and i was up and checking it till midnight. This morning however, i have ink on my pillow case and it looks like the tattoo bled? Or I'm wondering if its just ink that pushed out and the ointment lifted it up with the skin and now looks likes it bled. Im not sure, here are some pictures.

Relax, follow your tattooers aftercare instruction and give it some time to heal. I'm sure it will turn out just fine. We have all woken up with nasty stains on our sheets the day after getting a new tattoo (no pun intended).

i was told to leave bandage on for 1 hour, remove wash, no ointment till next day, sleep on stomach. Next day I'm supposed to wash very gently with anti-bacterical soap, air dry, put on very little ointment (only when it feels like its pulling). No fragrance body washes, and wash hair upside down when using shampoo for a week, because shampoo has chemicals that can lift the ink, also no heavy sweating for a week. Thats what i was told, but thanks for everyones help! I can't wait to have a healthy, healed tattoo!

i was told to leave bandage on for 1 hour, remove wash, no ointment till next day, sleep on stomach. Next day I'm supposed to wash very gently with anti-bacterical soap, air dry, put on very little ointment (only when it feels like its pulling). No fragrance body washes, and wash hair upside down when using shampoo for a week, because shampoo has chemicals that can lift the ink, also no heavy sweating for a week. Thats what i was told, but thanks for everyones help! I can't wait to have a healthy, healed tattoo!

Yup, like everyone else has said: Keep it clean, you'll be fine (so will it).

• 4 months later...