Whole family tattoos

slayer9019

So an interesting scenario arose over the last week. My grandmother just passed away last week which brought all of the extended family back together from not speaking over the last decade. During the "mourning" process we all ended up hanging out and getting plastered for a few days. During this time tattoos arose and everyone found out I got a few, which prompted everyone to show off a small piece or two. After the funeral a cousin prompted the question of getting a "family" tattoo to possibly bond us again as we were in a bit of a family fight for awhile which now seems to have passed with the passing of the last grand parent. I was assumed to be on-board since I am the "heavily tattooed guy" in the family.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever do this (whether it be tattooer tattooing families or people being tattooed).

I've got 6 kids, and we've kicked this one around. One thought was the parrot I have on my inside forearm, it was done by Dale Grande in what, 1975? Something like that. Anyhow, I was at CTC getting some work done, and one of my kids spots the original flash hanging over Nick's bench, so they were all talking about getting it. Another we've talked about is our family coat-of-arms, but none of us was really crazy enough about it as it is to get it. Since I'm the oldest son of the oldest son of the etc., shit, I can change it if I want to! It's been the same since the 1800's, but what the hell. Anyhow, that's where we are, design phase. We're using most of the elements of the original crest, and adding and subtracting. Number 4 son is seriously talented, and he's come up with some sketches. Next step is I give it to a friend who's a graphic designer, and let him do the finished product for us to look at...then we'll see.

My daughters did it after their Mother passed away years ago - but I don't know of a whole family that did this. Would you all be getting the same tattoo? I can't imagine getting an entire family to agree to just 1 image.

Exactly, plus you know someone is going to chicken out or claim they don't have the money or something. But the idea of a family themed tattoo could be cool as long as it's not just a bunch of lettering. @slayer9019 I would keep an open mind but just remember what you have learned and don't get talked into a bad idea.

You could get back pieces with the family tree :P

hahaha like I said I am the "heavily tatttooed" guy. They at most have a few (3 tops) scattered words or similar.

Exactly, plus you know someone is going to chicken out or claim they don't have the money or something. But the idea of a family themed tattoo could be cool as long as it's not just a bunch of lettering. @slayer9019 I would keep an open mind but just remember what you have learned and don't get talked into a bad idea.

There is exactly 10 of us so not THAT many people to keep track of. I know lettering style stuff was thrown around and similar ideas as well. At this point I'm pretty much down for whatever. If it's small I can jam it somewhere, but it has to be pretty cool. I will probably be the judge on the final design being I am the most tattooed.

I know there are a few that are tattoo virgins, but they seem pretty on-board for the idea.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever do this (whether it be tattooer tattooing families or people being tattooed).

I have done several memorials on whole families, so yes it is done commonly, however the designs are always different to represent the person, or people, getting remembered in the tattoo. I'd recommend discussing representation of a common trait that everyone likes or loves about the deceased. And the artist can take that and make it suitable for a tattoo at proper size. for example if she was a person who was religious and loved everyone, a sacred heart would be a good representation, or if she was a person who amused everyone with poking people gently with a knife when she cooked, like my grandmother, a traditional knife with a banner would be a joyful representation. etc...

Hope this helps some.

hahaha like I said I am the "heavily tatttooed" guy. They at most have a few (3 tops) scattered words or similar.

There is exactly 10 of us so not THAT many people to keep track of.

That seems like a lot of people to keep track of and certainly too many to bring into a tattoo shop on one day. The Brady Bunch only had 8 people and I can't imagine them trying to decide on a tattoo. I would just let everyone do their own thing, make it something everyone needs to do before a scheduled meet up. The designs will be different but the same in a lot of ways and it will be interesting to see everyone's styles.