Hey everyone,

Just wondering when it's appropriate to ask for a ballpark cost estimate when you've sort of roughly left the design & size up to the artist. I need to be prepared, but of course I would like to be polite about it.

just wanted to throw in my personal "outlook", "experience", whatever... I started out as THAT dude called it a gun not a machine. Thought I knew everything when I didn't know S#!@. But I was a fan kept getting Knowledged asked the rite questions. stopped the Rediculous demands on how I wanted MY tattoo to look and went with the flow. Now out the Respect and Loyalty I learned early on in getting tattooed. the bennifts to becoming that "Ideal customer" are my tattoos are way cooler because I do Give free range to the artist and keep my demands simple. Example: I want a unicorn with a dagger. the artist goes and draws it. Is it what i had in my head? No. But guess what its a unicorn with a dagger non the less. and for me personally sometimes not all the time but sometimes i don't get charged what they should be charging me which is a bonus in my book and I know a lot of cool industry stuff like the term porkchop. is it the coolest thing to know? No but to me its awesome! So thats my little tid bit.

That's pretty much what I was planning on (asking & figuring I'd budget for the highest). There are enough parameters for the design that an estimation shouldn't be a totally silly request. Thanks!

Nothing wrong with knowing what to expect up front. I go with the shop's hourly rate as my guide. If I figure I'm spending $300, I bring maybe $500 in case the session runs longer.

Rob

I'm from australia and find US tipping customs to be very confusing...Ive only ever got tattooed of Jun Cha in Los Angeles and he dosnt charge per hour, he simply tattoo's and says that will be $5000..my question is, should I still tip?

While we are not supposed to talk $$ here, I say a definite yes. In the US tipping is pretty customary and not tipping tends to mean you are dissatisfied. Personally I tip 20% but amounts are up to you. Wait, did you just say $5,000? When I first read it I thought it read $500. 20% on $5,000 would be quite a lot. :confused:

While we are not supposed to talk $$ here, I say a definite yes. In the US tipping is pretty customary and not tipping tends to mean you are dissatisfied. Personally I tip 20% but amounts are up to you. Wait, did you just say $5,000? When I first read it I thought it read $500. 20% on $5,000 would be quite a lot. :confused:

Sorry about mentioning $$$...im new here, but i learn quick!

If you think thats alot, thats simply per session, ive probably spent 6 or 7 times that amount so far on tattoos from Jun..not too mention flights, accomodation etc...ive honestly never tipped him and his never battered an eyelid, i think because primarily he tattoo's people from outside the US his probably used to not getting tipped..also given how expensive he is, he probably dosent expect it ether...

I just thought i'd throw the question out there though..

5 grand a session?? Jesus Christ! Well, if you're happy with paying it I guess I can't argue...

they are generally very long sessions 10-14 hours depending on where his tattooing, (on some areas im abit of a pussy) but yeh he is super expensive but worth every dollar...in my opinion anyway

they are generally very long sessions 10-14 hours depending on where his tattooing, (on some areas im abit of a pussy) but yeh he is super expensive but worth every dollar...in my opinion anyway

That still works out to $500/hr, which is still pretty ridiculous. And as if just nonchalantly mentioning "regularly" spending $5000 a session (plus travel fees) didn't seem enough like trying too hard, you also imply someone is a pussy if they can't sit 10 hours. Wow.

That still works out to $500/hr, which is still pretty ridiculous. And as if just nonchalantly mentioning "regularly" spending $5000 a session (plus travel fees) didn't seem enough like trying too hard, you also imply someone is a pussy if they can't sit 10 hours. Wow.

I regularly spend that amount of money 2-3 times a year because A. I virtually save every cent of my paycheck and B. am prepared to pay that much for the artist in question. And no i didnt imply that people who can't sit for 10 plus hours are pussy's what I did say however is that on certain areas I cant sit for the usual marathon session that i usually do (not because in a perfect work I would sit for that long but because i live half a world away) as I'M abit of a pussy when it comes to certain areas...

lol this conversation has gone into stoopid territory again . fuck all this price talk.

sorry, im new and didnt realise why raising price may be an issue.. the resulting discussion has illustrated why not rather nicely...

brings out the trolls who automatically assume because your tattoo costs more than theirs that I think im better than them..

sorry, im new and didnt realise why raising price may be an issue.. the resulting discussion has illustrated why not rather nicely...

brings out the trolls who automatically assume because your tattoo costs more than theirs that I think im better than them..

To be honest its not relevant , its boring , and it takes focus away from what matters - the tattoos !!!!!

On another note, @nomadland, I live in LA and I never heard of Jun Cha before but looking at his work I see he is amazing! I can see why you go to him. His work reminds me of James Spencer-Briggs who did my whole left arm. Not sure if you've ever seen his work: JAMES SPENCER BRIGGS

or

https://www.google.com/search?q=james+spencer+briggs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0evRUvOLNNLqoATYq4DgAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=953&bih=461

Looks like they both learned from/worked with Chuey Quintanar.

On another note, @nomadland, I live in LA and I never heard of Jun Cha before but looking at his work I see he is amazing! I can see why you go to him. His work reminds me of James Spencer-Briggs who did my whole left arm. Not sure if you've ever seen his work: JAMES SPENCER BRIGGS

or

https://www.google.com/search?q=james+spencer+briggs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0evRUvOLNNLqoATYq4DgAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=953&bih=461

Looks like they both learned from/worked with Chuey Quintanar.

i checked that link at that guy is amazing too.. when i first met Jun he was a lowrider tattoo studio with jose lopez but since then his opened his own private space and tattoos by appointment only..his clientele seem to be mostly people from oversea's which is why he may have gone under your radar..check his facebook page out for his most up to date tattoos as he dosnt upload them instantly to his website..his getting better and better everytime i see him as his only in his mid 20's...but his leart from some B&G legends like jose but also baby ray and a few others...he really respects the chicano legacy

Don't be sorry, you haven't done anything wrong mate. I didn't even think you were literally referring to the price of your tattoos, however, the price is irrelevant. You got the ink you deserve because you put the effort in. Why not forget that topic and show us some of your tattoos, I am sure they are quite impressive. Cheers.

I assume you mean me. I don't care how much money you spend on tattoos, but to treat $5000 and 10 hours of sitting like it's no big deal makes you sound like a dick who just wants to brag. I always thought part of the reason why price isn't brought up is because it's an industry secret of sorts. Believe me, I'm not jealous. You can have all the Jun Cha tattoos you want, his style (and apparently rates) are not my thing.