Tight-Lines

no bacon in your pancakes?

totally going to make a vegan version of this post thanksgiving morning. thanks for the inspiration!

MsRad, what do you use for fake bacon? I actually had a pretend BLT for dinner tonight, but the tempeh bacon wasn't quite salty and greasy enough to serve to someone who loves bacon. Or maybe because I fried it in coconut oil? I dunno, but I kind of want to make those pretend bacon pancakes, too.

brined turkey

mash potatoes with cream cheese in them (makes them even creamier)

chorizo cornbread stuffing

buttered sugar snap peas

sweet potatoes

egg rolls as appetizers (we make eggrolls for all occassions)

apple cranberry pie

pecan pie

ice cream

whipped cream

fruit platter

super stuffed...i think i need to puke now.

brined and smoked turkey

mashed potatoes and gravy

homemade bread with smoked garlic rub

fried sausage and stuffing balls

grilled asparagus

jalapeno cheddar biscuits

sugary canned cranberry jelly crap

pumpkin pie

peach crisp w/ vanilla ice cream

sparkling water

fuck yeah thanksgiving!

I had the above meal Jake posted and cooked. The Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits I am looking forward to eating when I get back from working out today with eggs over the top.

But two nights ago, Wednesday, I worked for Tammy and Steve all day digging ditches and they had a huge yes HUGE crab feed that was a hurricane of gnarliness!!! ITS CRAB SEASON!!!!!!! They made a super simple one with just butter and lemon then garlic bread and it hit the spot. I love when the simple things (burgers, steaks, grilled cheese, macNcheese, bbq, scallops, crab, lobster, etc) are kept simple but executed so good the organic flavors come through.

For the vegetarians......if you are in Manhattan or near goto Red Bamboo which being a meat lover and it a vegetarian restaurant is still in my top twenty favorite eats! Damn New York region I miss you....hopefully sooner than later.

I had the above meal Jake posted and cooked. The Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits I am looking forward to eating when I get back from working out today with eggs over the top.

But two nights ago, Wednesday, I worked for Tammy and Steve all day digging ditches and they had a huge yes HUGE crab feed that was a hurricane of gnarliness!!! ITS CRAB SEASON!!!!!!! They made a super simple one with just butter and lemon then garlic bread and it hit the spot. I love when the simple things (burgers, steaks, grilled cheese, macNcheese, bbq, scallops, crab, lobster, etc) are kept simple but executed so good the organic flavors come through.

For the vegetarians......if you are in Manhattan or near goto Red Bamboo which being a meat lover and it a vegetarian restaurant is still in my top twenty favorite eats! Damn New York region I miss you....hopefully sooner than later.

Loch took to dipping the already buttery garlic bread into the clarified butter...such a loch maneuver.

more crab feasts to come!

MsRad, what do you use for fake bacon? I actually had a pretend BLT for dinner tonight, but the tempeh bacon wasn't quite salty and greasy enough to serve to someone who loves bacon. Or maybe because I fried it in coconut oil? I dunno, but I kind of want to make those pretend bacon pancakes, too.

Lightlife makes Smart Bacon which is a vegan bacon substitute. it doesn't have the texture down really, but the flavor is there. not a huge fan of tempeh in general, buy i have had some good tempeh bacon over the last 6 months (mainly in Portland).

anyways, i ended up not making this this morning and just snacked on some left over stuffing and vegan corn caserole.

thanksgiving run down:

field roast en croute with hazelnut and cranberry stuffing

maple glazed brussel sprouts with dry roasted hazelnuts

wild and brown rice pilaf with curried squash and cranberries

mash potatoes with vegan sour cream

corn caserole

stuffing with apples

herby salad with baby heirloom tomatoes, corn, and balsamic vinigarette

home made cranberry sauce and home made gravy

pecan pie bars

chipotle sweet potato pie with coconut milk whipped cream and chocolate cookie crust. i made it a little too spicy but it was pretty good none-the less. might try a version cut with pumpkin later this weekend.

i'm not one for trying recipes and dishes i've never cooked before but i thought it's ridiculous that i've never made chilli con carne so giving that a go tonight and also gonna bake a chocolate and beetroot cake with frosted icing. hopefully i won't poison stewart haha. wish me luck!

chocolate beetroot cake is awesome! good luck!

Been slow cooking a soup all day in the turkey broth from the one I made the day after thanksgiving out of the turkey carcasss Jake smoked the other night. Added onions, turkey meat, leeks, potatos and Jake is making dumplings now. The house smells great!!!

i'm not one for trying recipes and dishes i've never cooked before but i thought it's ridiculous that i've never made chilli con carne so giving that a go tonight and also gonna bake a chocolate and beetroot cake with frosted icing. hopefully i won't poison stewart haha. wish me luck!

Valerie, how'd it come out?