Tight-Lines

• 2 weeks later...

Monday- carne aside taco on a flor tortilla at Salsalito (very clever word play) Taco in Sausalito. This place is so bomb. Their homemade chips are in the top 3. They give you 3 delicious salsas with it. Guacamole is amazing. And the kicker...a bottle of creme on every table. Just a little slice of heaven in a squeeze bottle.

Yesterday- Sol Food. Got the Carne Asada meal w/rice, pink beans and one tostone (fried plantain) and maduro (sweet plantain). Had a bite of my friends fried shrimp which I am amazed I had never had before and steak sand. Soooo BOMB!!! I could drink that hot sauce. Loch can u insert pic of hot sauce here

I went to Picante tonight with the Sylvias for my first time and it is badass! First of all they built that place for families from the layout to the bathroom. The bathroom has a urinal lower than the average one for kids and then this step stool built in that goes up and down for kids to wash their hands and the place was family central going off.

Anyways on to the food, I got the fish tacos and they were amazing. Dari gave me one of her vegan tamales which was great as well. Scott had me try a piece of steak and Henry Jumping even shared his chicken with me. The tortillas are homemade and and the chips, geeezz!

It is in Berkeley and great so go get some, here's Picante's Link!!

I went to Picante tonight with the Sylvias for my first time and it is badass! First of all they built that place for families from the layout to the bathroom. The bathroom has a urinal lower than the average one for kids and then this step stool built in that goes up and down for kids to wash their hands and the place was family central going off.

Anyways on to the food, I got the fish tacos and they were amazing. Dari gave me one of her vegan tamales which was great as well. Scott had me try a piece of steak and Henry Jumping even shared his chicken with me. The tortillas are homemade and and the chips, geeezz!

It is in Berkeley and great so go get some, here's Picante's Link!!

the verde soup is soooo good! so are the tamales. this is now my Gilman ritual. now do you see why i suggested it for the lst meetup?

that Churches used to be a McDonalds. i remember going there a bunch of times while drunk and high in 10th grade. oh pre-straight edge life.

I still do that (not as much anymore). Not high though. High on High life.

Has anyone else noticed Gilman is full of angry high school wrestling type kids now? Not that they were never there, but they are more prevalent now.

I've been cooking up a storm these last 2 weeks!!! so much food, too bad all y'all live so far away, i tend to make enough food for an army.

I've made:

chicken chili with lots of veggies, corn and its kind of sweet spicy

butternut squash soup.....mmm so heart-warming!

vegetarian lasagnia with cabbage leaves instead of pasta. its so tasty and guilt free too!

Cornish hens stuffed with cornbread chorizo stuffing and served with maroccan barley risotto

italian zucchini patties. they are usually fryed in a lot of oil but i used Pam spray instead and it worked!

Roasted beet and carrot latkas with caraway creme frais

chicken Pad thai made from scratch( no store bought sauce)

vegetarian and/or turkey filled cabbage rolls

sauteed veggies(onions,peppers, zucchini, baked sweet potato) coated in homemade tomato sauce topped with crispy polenta rounds. finished with melted cheese.

on the dessert front:

i tried a new vanilla cake recipe (im always trying new and interesting recipes)

cranberry and pistachio biscotti drizzled with white chocolate

i've been also collecting old recipes from family and coworkers like in my family whenever there is a baptism, wedding shower, wedding or any significant event there are always italian cookies. i've been picking up recipies as i go and collected a new one last weekend. its a flakey cookies dough with wrapped around a dollop of nutella. they are then rolled in sugar while still warm!

my co-woker gave me a simple cookies recipe that is a very easy sandwich cookie with dulce de leche in the middle then rolled in coconut! OMG

recently i took a trip with a friend to the Lindt Chocolate factory and i bought 15lbs of different types of melting chocolates. i have been experimenting with them and making truffles and filled chocolates. ya know praticing what i learned in school so i dont get rusty! :)

if any of whats written above makes your mouth water and you want the recipe ill be happy to post it!

alanna, i love cake and baking....can you post the dulce de leche recipe...i love caramel and coconut so sounds like a winner.

also how was your vanilla cake recipe. i am always looking for the perfect basics recipes (vanilla cake, chocolate cake, cookies, pound cake).

one of my friends has this amazing food blog that is about traditional mexican food...she is also a photog and writer so it is very well done.

http://theothersideofthetortilla.com/

yep yep, slow n low but that is for meat so don't know if you would want to do that with vegan stuff as the veggies would become mushy....hmmmmm, don't know if I can help. Tammy? Alanna?

Anytime I've made vegan or vegatarian soups I've gone more on the food processor/puree side.....

as far as i know you can make a good veggie stock in a crock pot but just make sure that you dont use veggies that disintegrate.

i made a really really tasty red lentil soup with carrot and celery in the crock pot and it honestly tastes like chicken soup but it was vegan

the verde soup is soooo good! so are the tamales. this is now my Gilman ritual. now do you see why i suggested it for the lst meetup?

Okay, let's go! I obviously wasn't aware of this place back then, but I've had the verde soup 2x this week!

Roasted beet and carrot latkas with caraway creme frais

a simple cookies recipe that is a very easy sandwich cookie with dulce de leche in the middle then rolled in coconut!

I need both of these myself, and I'll figure out a way to make them vegan. (I've had caramel made w/ coconut milk not so long ago, it was amazing!)

Thanks for all the yummy thoughts in my head Alanna!

as far as i know you can make a good veggie stock in a crock pot but just make sure that you dont use veggies that disintegrate.

i made a really really tasty red lentil soup with carrot and celery in the crock pot and it honestly tastes like chicken soup but it was vegan

good to know Alanna! thanks!