Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

Horiyoshi - This is supposed to be a Geisha/Pheonix. Has anyone ever seen this before or know any more about it?

Sigh. That guy made me want to get tattooed for the first time when I was a teenager. He is definitely my tattoo Missed Connection.

And: nope. It does link back to his official site though, and is apparently called Dancing With Wings.

Also, this is probably not the right thread for it, just as a heads-up, but I dunno where I'd put it. Maybe in the art and flash sub-forum. Good luck searching!

Went Monday to get my Celtic warrior on my inner/front bicep. First stencil was too small, but artist had concerns about placement of something bigger (i.e. distortion about wrapping it around to the front). Had the idea to move the small one higher to front shoulder-cap/upper arm, but stencil didn't look right there to me (I have an existing piece we are working around and some other things I want to get in the same area so there are some planning considerations). Process had me 2nd guessing the design. Re-looked at first placement with bigger size and artist seemed to reconsider his first thought, but was concerned about time left in the day to do it right. Mutually decided to postpone getting it then.

Hoping to go back next Monday afternoon, but still need to confirm. Kind of bummed, but better than being bummed after the fact.

Larger and placement towards the front was what I was looking for initially, but I'm a bit concerned I won't like it at that point either once the stencil's on and given how long I've thought through what I want, that's disappointing. We'll see I guess.

@CABS In no particular order my top five NYC shops would be: Kings Ave, NY Adorned, Greenpoint, Invisible, and (even though it is not in New York) Electric in Jersey. I would also include Saved, Funcity, Flyrite, Northstar, and Three Kings in the mix. As I write this I'm not sure that Smith Street even makes my top ten.

If your thing is traditional, this comment is almost laughable.

I guess you're one of those guys that thinks that every traditional tattoo needs lines as thick as your femur. Come back in a year or two and let me know what trend you are into then.

Bold will hold my friend. But you're probably right. They probably shouldn't use a lot of black either. Shaky lines will never really be my thing though.

Bold will hold my friend. But you're probably right. They probably shouldn't use a lot of black either. Shaky lines will never really be my thing though.

Twelve posts in and you are trying to start a fight with someone that has been on this forum since the beginning. I suggest that you start to really educate yourself on tattoos and tattooing before you go around using cliches that you don't really understand. That is all I will say to you on this subject. Good Luck my friend. You are off to a wonderful start.

Twelve posts in and you are trying to start a fight with someone that has been on this forum since the beginning. I suggest that you start to really educate yourself on tattoos and tattooing before you go around using cliches that you don't really understand. That is all I will say to you on this subject. Good Luck my friend. You are off to a wonderful start.

My intention wasn't to start a fight and I apologize if I've nicked a nerve. That said, being here from the beginning doesn't corner the market on knowledge or taste. I purposefully used cliches to drive home a point. There are certain things native to traditional american tattoos and some shops take these qualities and utilize them well to create super clean tattoos. Some not as much. Now you can throw around accusations that since I've made 12 posts I don't understand concepts applying to elite tattoo heads such as yourself but I am well aware American tattooing existed before Sailor Jerry, I'm well aware of artists who helped define this style along the way and the culture behind it. And I love it all. That said, in my opinion people are allowed to take tattooing to a greater level. The equipment is better, the ink is better. And that's great for us all. My point is, it doesn't have to look exactly like a Cap Coleman/Bert Grimm/Tatts Thomas whatever tattoo to be a rocking tattoo. It's great to notice them for the contributions they have made, but that shouldn't discredit guys who are creating some pretty amazing work today.

My intention wasn't to start a fight and I apologize if I've nicked a nerve. That said, being here from the beginning doesn't corner the market on knowledge or taste. I purposefully used cliches to drive home a point. There are certain things native to traditional american tattoos and some shops take these qualities and utilize them well to create super clean tattoos. Some not as much. Now you can throw around accusations that since I've made 12 posts I don't understand concepts applying to elite tattoo heads such as yourself but I am well aware American tattooing existed before Sailor Jerry, I'm well aware of artists who helped define this style along the way and the culture behind it. And I love it all. That said, in my opinion people are allowed to take tattooing to a greater level. The equipment is better, the ink is better. And that's great for us all. My point is, it doesn't have to look exactly like a Cap Coleman/Bert Grimm/Tatts Thomas whatever tattoo to be a rocking tattoo. It's great to notice them for the contributions they have made, but that shouldn't discredit guys who are creating some pretty amazing work today.

You pulled out a comment that I made two years ago which had no barring on any current discussion and called it "laughable". If that isn't looking for an argument then I don't know what is. I hate clogging the feed with this sort of shit, and I apologize to everyone for doing it. I have my reasons for picking the other shops over Smith Street, but I did not say anything to discredit anyone at Smith Street or anywhere else for that matter. And I didn't say that being here from the beginning made my opinions more valid than anyone else's. What I was saying is that in five years, and nearly 700 posts on this forum I have never been in one argument until now. On your twelfth post you started one. I accept your apology, and if I am wrong about this whole thing then I also apologize. Now how about we let this thread get back to what it is really about. If you have anything you would like to further discuss send me a private message.