Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

On 08/09/2016 at 0:03 PM, a_beukeveld said:

Going to be going to the Montreal show in September. Already booked a spot with Dave Cummings for a hannya on my arm, and im waiting an email confirmation for an oni on my knee from Stace Forand. If I have time left I want to get something from either Ryan Halter or Lucas Ford, also.

In a few days Im going to be getting a giesha demon/hannya on my inner thigh from Jeremy Lamos. After the Montreal con will be the Hub City Moncton con. Dont know what Ill get there. Probably a Stinky from Sailor Jerry. :)

Its going to be a fun next few months haha

I have a thing mostly ironed out with Dave for the convention, too!  Pretty excited.   He does great hannyas, really expressive.

Edited by polliwog

I am truly stoked and anxious. This will be my personal memorial to 9/11 and my experiences in the Pentagon. I witnessed much that day - and carried the vivid nightmares for many months - much pain, fear, grief and heroism. Despite the fact that I tried to avoid it, I was humbled to receive the Army's highest award for non-combat heroism. It is the only of my many awards I received during my career that hangs in my den - and only because it was others who were there who petitioned the Army to present the award two years later when I retired. I accepted it on behalf of those who were killed, injured and the many heroes I saw that day.

Although I did not experience any real long-lasting emotional or physical impacts, each year I still find myself slipping back into the nightmares as the anniversary approaches. I can literally smell the burning jet fuel and human flesh mixed in the acrid smoke, hear the screams and feel the heat of the flames. There is even a block of time that remains hidden to me - a point where my only memory includes seeing blue skies, green grass and hearing birds chirping...literally as I know I was looking out a window overlooking the post-impact destruction. I hope to never regain the memory of what I actually saw.

So, on the 15th anniversary, this tattoo is my attempt/hope to finally close that chapter in my life. It is a way to recognize what happened, what I saw and did, and all those I knew who were killed, injured and impacted emotionally. I want it to express both what happened but also the awakening and hope of our Nation afterwards. It is a Nation that I hope we can find again - without having to witness the same degree of trauma, destruction and loss of life....unfortunately it seems a remote possibility now.

If you are interested, this book is a collection of interviews done by The Army's Center for Military History that captured the day's events in the Pentagon in the words of those who lived it. My recollections begin on Page 105. As you look at the cover picture of the book, my office and where I was when the plane hit was just above the "R" in LOFGREN and where you see the lower yellow flames.

Then Came the Fire.jpg

You can download the book for free as a .pdf through this link. http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/070/70-119-1/CMH_Pub_70-119-1.pdf

@Devious6 hey man funny you should mention those blue skies - i was working in a school in northern NJ at the time - and to this day - any day that demonstrates the most ideal of weather conditions - crystal blue skies, crisp, yet beautiful temps...reminds me of 9/11 - it was the most wonderful of weather days i can ever remember in my life - and so oddly it is that it reminds of the most surreal and horrible of days - i still get the chills thinking about it

good luck with your tattoo - i look forward to seeing it

btw - i laughed at your mentioning the appt to your wife - rmeinds me so much of how i drop the news of yet another tattoo appointment

god bless

Edited by marley mission

3 hours ago, Devious6 said:

I am truly stoked and anxious. This will be my personal memorial to 9/11 and my experiences in the Pentagon. [...]

I just happened to come across this at the Smithsonian about @Devious6

Context: Col. Mark Volk was one of the brave Pentagon employees who helped save colleagues trapped in the damaged Pentagon. As an intense fire raged, Col. Volk ordered an evacuation and rushed from his office on the third floor of the D ring to the E ring to look for survivors. In recognition of his actions Col. Volk was awarded a Meritorious Service Medal.

http://amhistory.si.edu/september11/collection/record.asp?ID=20

Edited by PinkUnicorn

I was asked to donate my uniform and original award from that day - never thought it would be featured as a part of the exhibition. The award was the original one I received. I honestly didn't want one - I did then and still do feel that I was doing what I should have done. It was my responsibility to protect and help others. After time, people who were there submitted a request to have the award upgraded - without my knowledge - and I was ultimately awarded The Soldier's Medal at my retirement ceremony a little more than two years later. That truly humbled me.

Thanks for the kind words. It was my honor to serve and I am grateful to have been able to help that day.

Since @PinkUnicorn found the Smithsonian link, I'll share the Soldier's Medal pictures with you. I don't think I've ever posted them on line before. The glare is the camera flash. It is awarded with two certificates - the award certificate as well as a narrative certificate. Most other medals only have the award certificate. I have them framed along with the eagle rank insignias that was able to recover from the locker in my office several weeks later and a picture of the Pentagon showing the destruction.

DSCN2547.JPGDSCN2548.JPG

I was asked to donate my uniform and original award from that day - never thought it would be featured as a part of the exhibition. The award was the original one I received. I honestly didn't want one - I did then and still do feel that I was doing what I should have done. It was my responsibility to protect and help others. After time, people who were there submitted a request to have the award upgraded - without my knowledge - and I was ultimately awarded The Soldier's Medal at my retirement ceremony a little more than two years later. That truly humbled me.

Thanks for the kind words. It was my honor to serve and I am grateful to have been able to help that day.

To some extent, heros are victims of circumstances. But, they must be willing to act on their training and care for others more than themselves. My deep gratitude for your service that day, and your entire career is my award to you.

Hi, so I'm getting a free tattoo from an aprentice tomorrow who's trying to build his portfolio. All he asked of me is too tip him good. I don't know what I should tip him since it's free. This is the tattoo I will be getting. About same size and located the same as picture(Tricep area)

image.png

Edited by Huskey

On August 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM, marley mission said:

@Devious6 hey man funny you should mention those blue skies - i was working in a school in northern NJ at the time - and to this day - any day that demonstrates the most ideal of weather conditions - crystal blue skies, crisp, yet beautiful temps...reminds me of 9/11 - it was the most wonderful of weather days i can ever remember in my life - and so oddly it is that it reminds of the most surreal and horrible of days - i still get the chills thinking about it

good luck with your tattoo - i look forward to seeing it

btw - i laughed at your mentioning the appt to your wife - rmeinds me so much of how i drop the news of yet another tattoo appointment

god bless

It was like this in Minnesota too. Literally one of the nicest days of the year. Nicest possible. I still remember it vividly too. I was working in a residential treatment center for kids. They were freaked out and we weren't sure how much to share- they had already endured more trauma than most people ever do.

Enjoy the tattoo @Devious6 - nothing can change the past but we can always choose to control how we move forward.