Panther Tattoo

khubilai

Just wondering, who would you guys and girls seek out in the New York City area for a panther tattoo. I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but I would like it to look a bit more like a graphic novel cartoon, rather than a traditional design like they do at Smith Street. Or is that just not cool to ask for? I've been getting work done by Chris O'Donnell the past few years, and I know he would do an amazing job, but I feel like I want to get something from some another artist and a different shop this year, just for the experience of it and to begin to become a tattoo collector I guess. I usually only sit for a few sessions a year, and would have it done on my lower leg. Thanks for any suggestions.

So many great artists local to NYC but also a slue artists doing guest spots there.

@mario desa https://twitter.com/mariodesatattoo tattoos in Chicago but i would check to see when he might be visiting your area

three kings tattoo Three Kings Tattoo

@Perez andy perez

daniel albrigo

I think Matt arriola guests there aswell

paging @Joe Shit for more input

but you have to be happy with what comes out of saved IMO

So many choices. Just even at Saved, I bet Seth Wood would kill it. He's so awesome and renders stuff really cleanly. I would also look into Mike Moses at Thicker Than Water, Daniel Trocchio at Three Kings, or Grez at Kings Avenue.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been getting work done by Chris O'Donnell the past few years

What's he putting on you?

I would do the rounds, see what you like. Three Kings, NY Adorned, Invisible, Thicker Than Water, Saved, Bound For Glory, probably forgetting a ton of shops. Getting the chance to go into a bunch of really good shops and check out portfolios is part of the collecting experience, plus you will see who is really into your idea and a chance to explain exactly what you mean and get instant feedback on how your idea will translate.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I will check out some of those websites and blogs, plus try to walk in to a few of the shops that were mentioned. It's funny, I still feel very intimidated when I walk into any tattoo shop, like I am always the un-coolest person in the place.

but you have to be happy with what comes out of saved IMO

I know I definitely am, but I just felt like checking a different shop.

Originally Posted by khubilai

I've been getting work done by Chris O'Donnell the past few years

What's he putting on you?

He did a dragon/tiger/peony sleeve for me. I started with a dragon on my inner forearm, than the following year I covered up an old black and grey eagle with the tiger. The following year I decided to just sleeve up the whole arm, which took another 4 sessions I believe. The peony is on the inner bicep. The last two years he did a koi on my right lower arm. I have a black and grey lion portrait on my right upper arm, so I am not quite sure what to do with the rest of it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I will check out some of those websites and blogs, plus try to walk in to a few of the shops that were mentioned. It's funny, I still feel very intimidated when I walk into any tattoo shop, like I am always the un-coolest person in the place.

For a killer shop feel I would head over to Invisible NYC. Everyone that works there knocks it outta the park and most are pretty diverse as far as style goes. I know they're site is kinda outdated as far as who works there (there are more than listed) and current portfolios but it is definitely worth a swing through. I liked them for their super-approachability.

Also as mentioned there are a TON of amazing shops in NYC. The list goes on and on so I will not repeat already mentioned shops.

...I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but I would like it to look a bit more like a graphic novel cartoon, rather than a traditional design like they do at Smith Street...

Do you have a reference pic? Because "graphic novel cartoon" is pretty wide open. If it is what I think it is, I'd choose Dusty Neal, except he's in Indiana: http://dustyneal.tumblr.com/

tumblr_m2qr8sdLzO1qaozu0o1_1280.jpg

Blog Entries

Images

Re: Panther Tattoo

Originally Posted by khubilai

...I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but I would like it to look a bit more like a graphic novel cartoon, rather than a traditional design like they do at Smith Street...

Do you have a reference pic? Because "graphic novel cartoon" is pretty wide open. If it is what I think it is, I'd choose Dusty Neal, except he's in Indiana

Kev, I do not have a reference pic yet, and I know my description wasn't very precise, but those pics are kind of what I am referring to, because the shading gives it a little more depth, rather than the flat black of most traditional panther's I've seen. But I do know that I want it to be a black panther. This one also looks very proportional which is another thing I like about it, so I may use this to start the discussion, even though that is a leopard or a cheetah (I think). Thanks.

My son got a great panther head done here out on the Island, the hard part with panthers is finding the artwork, or someone who can draw one up and do it justice. We worked with one he saw online and came up with something he was able to take to the shop I use and they did a great job for him.

CG

He did a dragon/tiger/peony sleeve for me. I started with a dragon on my inner forearm, than the following year I covered up an old black and grey eagle with the tiger. The following year I decided to just sleeve up the whole arm, which took another 4 sessions I believe. The peony is on the inner bicep. The last two years he did a koi on my right lower arm. I have a black and grey lion portrait on my right upper arm, so I am not quite sure what to do with the rest of it.

Sounds cool, any pics?

Grez rules....but ive always assumed all the kings ave people would be tough to get time with.

I kind of thought the same thing, but I think I will shoot him an email anyway. I did stop by Kings Ave on Long Island last week. The manager had me look at a few portfolios, and I am considering Shaun Nel.

Bio

kingsavetattoo.com/artists/shaun-nel-0/

She helped clarify what I was looking for. A more 'stylized' version of a traditional tattoo. I told her I was thinking of either a panther with some roses, or fighting an eagle. I still plan on visiting Three Kings, and Invisible NYC in the next few weeks. Shaun is only booked out 3-4 weeks which is nice as well