Book Exchange

posterboy7596

Would anyone be interested in doing some book trading? I'm referring to fiction and non-fiction, not so much tattoo books. Just an idea... thought I'd throw it out there and see what comes of it.

Trades don't really work for me (international shipping rates suck) but I am totally down for a good literary discussion thread. I will start off with a suggestion for you. Check out Breece Pancake. He only had a handful of short stories published, but they were pretty good. He was from West Virginia, and all of his writing was about that area. One of the stories "Trilobites" is probably my favorite short story of all time.

I like this thread.

Me too. Wish I could participate.

After moving from state to state and different apts all over town each time, I have reduced my library to less than 5% of what it used to be (outside of art reference and tattoo books of course). It was at the point of 10 beer case sized boxes that were like a boxes of rocks of just my fiction/nonfiction. Add to that 2 bookshelves worth of art books & magazines. It was ridiculous. All I have left are 1st editions and what I have bought since then. Felt good to donate all of the rest to public libraries.

@dcostello I just signed up for goodreads, it looks pretty good. I'll have to try to make some time to do some listing on there. I'm about to finish The God Delusion, and the most recent thing I finished was Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor. Between my wife and I we've got... I'll just say an ass load of books.

@Avery_Taylor I'll certainly check out Breece Pancake. I live on the Kentucky/WVa border so I'm always interested in local stuff.

What's the last/best thing everyone has read recently?

Lately I have been rereading a lot of books that I read before having kids. Having kids really cut down on my reading time, and I am just now starting to find some time again. The last three I read were "Ask the Dust" by John Fante, "The Last Temptation of Christ" by Nikos Kazantzakis, and "Tropic of Capricorn" by Henry Miller. These were all books that I enjoyed when I first read them, and still enjoyed this last time around.

Right now I'm reading We, The Drowned by Carsten Jensen which I bought because it had a really great illustration on the cover, but is a great read so far. It's about a port town in Denmark and sort of charts what happens to the town through the lives of sailors, which sounds a little bit dry, except for that it's about wars and severed heads, and aging, and things like that. I haven't finished it yet but I am enjoying it do far.

For tattoo-related books, I was super excited to find a copy of George Burchett's Memoirs of a Tattooist for $5 recently, and last week I also found a copy of Dan Higgs' The Doomsday Bonnet for $10. Very pleased with both of those finds, especially at those prices.