stumbled upon this video series

ChrisvK

I was browsing the youtubes when i came across a music channel that had a playlist called behind the ink. Basically they interview band members about their tattoos.

Some are absolutely crap and just warp tour body suits, but i found this little gem. Purified in Blood has some very tattoo enthusiastic members who got work by Thomas Hooper and Tim Lehi just to name a few.

(if someone else allready posted these feel free to remove this)

Take care

Thanks - didn't know the bands featured on this channel (feeling my age!) so checking them out now.

This raises a question - it's so common for bands to be tattooed today, but who started it all? Who were the first bands/musicians to really have tattoos as a part of their image? (and lots of tattoos, not like Janis Joplin who had maybe two, although that was major for the time)

There's Black Sabbath in the early 1970s with Ozzy's tattooed knuckles prominent. Then AC/DC mid to late 1970s with Bon Scott out front (and from the same stable Rose Tattoo with Angry Anderson). Johnny Winter and Greg Allman were around then, but not sure if they got heavily tattooed until later in their career.

Everyone else I can think of - Rollins, Stray Cats, Chili Peppers, Crue, Gunners - are not until the 1980s. So who am I missing? Who else got the ball rolling back in the '70s, or even earlier?