Audiophiles

slayer9019

If were talking car stereos, I used to be. Got 2 12" type R alpines with a bass booster in ported box. Alpine dash and alpine amp. My stereo set up is more expensive than my car when I bought it (cheap car)

Well I used to be big into car audio. I also ran 2 12" type-Rs at one point haha! Moved to Sundown audio after that, then gave up.

Home audio is where I live now, specifically high-end headphone listening. Running a Aune solid-state amp/DAC driving a pair of 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990s. Spectacular sound! Eventually grabbing a woo audio tube amp and possible a pair of Stax headphones.

I don't have an elaborate home system but I'm still using my old Nikko amp and Bozak floor speakers bought in the 80's, and they still sound good.

yea a good amp and speakers will always be that, even at 20+ years old they will still have better sound than most ipod docks etc i see in shops today, think my speaker wire alone cost more than most peoples hifi in its day. My gear must be 7 years old now and i'm sure ill still have the amp and speakers for another 7. The source may change though but i still like to have something physical to play ie cd's, ipods for me are still only for the car but like slayer's modern set up i might have to give in to a dac\lossless source sooner or later, did i get that last bit right slayer...LOL.

yea a good amp and speakers will always be that' date=' even at 20+ years old they will still have better sound than most ipod docks etc i see in shops today, think my speaker wire alone cost more than most peoples hifi in its day. My gear must be 7 years old now and i'm sure ill still have the amp and speakers for another 7. The source may change though but i still like to have something physical to play ie cd's, ipods for me are still only for the car but like slayer's modern set up i might have to give in to a dac\lossless source sooner or later, did i get that last bit right slayer...LOL.[/quote']

Well music will only be as good as the source. Lossless and a nice dac/amp is good. My setup ran only about 500ish and blows away a lot of setups that cost more

I don't have anything elaborate or too fancy. Mostly older stuff that has a nice warm sound. I use the speaker setup from Eno's ambient 2 album though which I've used for a pretty long time. Its a cheap yet effective way to add a little more atmosphere and a primitive "surround sound" effect.

My setup is nothing special: a Technics receiver and some old but decent Panasonic speakers. I got it cheaply from Craigslist a few years ago and it does the job. When I'm not listening to vinyl I mainly have my ipod plugged into it and good audio gear seems wasted on mp3s. I don't understand those tube ipod docks.

My dad has an old Mcintosh system that he's had stored in boxes for years now since he upgraded (?) to a home theatre system and I would love to have that. It would be crazy expensive to ship over here though since the power amp alone (it's a solid state one) weighs something like 50 or 60 pounds. Sounds amazing though.

My setup is nothing special: a Technics receiver and some old but decent Panasonic speakers. I got it cheaply from Craigslist a few years ago and it does the job. When I'm not listening to vinyl I mainly have my ipod plugged into it and good audio gear seems wasted on mp3s. I don't understand those tube ipod docks.

My dad has an old Mcintosh system that he's had stored in boxes for years now since he upgraded (?) to a home theatre system and I would love to have that. It would be crazy expensive to ship over here though since the power amp alone (it's a solid state one) weighs something like 50 or 60 pounds. Sounds amazing though.

Mcintosh is amazing!

I've got a old floor cabinate record player my friends grandmother gave to me. I cant find a serial number or make on it, but she said it was bought in the late 60's. It also has an 8-track player which is broken and an AM radio. Its pretty sweet, and old country vinyl/delta blues sounds wonderful on it but any hardcore or punk sounds like shit... well, thats on any record player I guess.