Hehe, I just found in my computer a first edition of the Higgs blog. Its 8 months old and fuck me, its different than what I wrote! I'm contemplating that should I post it here or not... Do people actually care? Would it be even cool to post it? Meaning, would there be another chip out of the Daniel Higgs mystery tree...

Yes please!

Not sure if this the right place to do this or not, but I wil do it anyhow. I was wondering if any of you had been tattooed by Higgs. That was one of my big regrets, I would love to have some of his work. I have a couple of friends who have, but there are not a lot of pictures on the internet of his work and I would love to see more of it. One of the shops I go to has a couple sheets of his flash and I think it is pretty awesome.

Kenny

i have 4 tattoos by dan and we have quite a few original paintings from '96 - '09 hanging in the shop. feel free to come by and i'll show them but i don't want to post pix. we have almost all of his flash as well starting from about '93. jinxproof in georgetown.

I asked Seth about Tux when I was doing the Dan piece and he had interesting info about him. Or it might have been the way he "said" it that it made it interesting:D :p

But, here is the first draft of the Higgs article. I scraped it because I thought it was too preachy and took too hard stance regarding tattoo artists, and when I am not one or plan to be one, I decided to write a new one because I wasnt comfortable with it. But, here it is, feedback and bashing is welcome :)

DANIEL HIGGS - Black moon cult

Richard Dawkins offered a hypothesis in his book The God Delusion (page 176) about human behavior (it was of course about religious behaviorism, but let’s play with it a little bit)

"Natural selection builds child brains with a tendency to believe whatever their parents and tribal elders tell them. Such trusting obedience is valuable for survival : the analogue of steering by the moon for a moth."

In some way I can see this reasoning behind the work of an artist who in one way or another copy some other artists work. When someone gets praise for his work and is considered to be above others by some, then naturally people tend to think that they are the ones to follow. They certainly aren’t pushed aside and left dying in the side of the road while others keep going forward. No, they press on and soon others will follow them. New artists who are struggling to take new steps in evolution, grab a hold to those artist and mimic them, hoping to if not to be the leader, at least to be able to survive.

When you see tattoos, which are originally done by people such as Rudy Fritsch, Grime or Joshua Carlton, mimicked for the thousandth time with only mild improvements (and at times the version can be in fact poorer), then maybe the ones doing the mild to blatant copying are just trying to survive. They see what works and eyes squinted follow the light in front of them like moths that fly in to the candle (because for a moth the light of a candle is similar to the moon which is used as a compass) and get burned up in a screaming death of banality. They (tattoo artists) might reason that the light ahead must be good because everyone else is also headed towards it. But unfortunately if you think only in that way you become blind, as Richard Dawkins pointed out moments later in the same page

"The flip side of trusting obedience is slavish gullibility. The inevitable by-product is vulnerability to infection by mind viruses."

What one should do to survive is look a little bit upwards and see the moon and decide to follow that light, while the others fly towards the candle light to their inevitable deaths.

Now you must be thinking: “what the fuck does this has to do with Daniel Higgs!” Or maybe you see the reasoning (because you aren’t infected by the mind virus) and know what’s coming. Yes, Daniel followed the moon.

He started tattooing somewhere around 1984 when the HC scene in Baltimore and in all of America was still going strong, even if it was showing signs of dying out. But tattoos were still almost underground of the underground movement, so when someone wanted to be a tattoo artist it held a different type of aura. “Fuck you” of the “fuck you culture”! So, Daniel apprenticed under a person by the name of Tux Farrer on which even the mighty truth called Internet shows no information. It was trough Tux that Daniel was introduced to that great lineage of tattooers, most notably perhaps Thom Devita. The real fucking underground figure of the underground! Thom’s influence on Daniel is huge. Fuck, mister Devita’s influence on tattooing in general is fucking huge, even if we don’t know it. But Ed Hardy knew it (read the Tattoo Time magazine) as he knew that Daniel is a force to be reckoned with.

Daniel worked in Tattoo City sometime in the early 90’s. He worked with such cats as Eddie Deutsche, Freddy Corbin, Igor Mortis, Alex Herman, and Jeff Whitehead. While working in Tattoo City Daniel was introduced to the rich history of American tattooing trough mister Ed Hardy. Then after that, or before in some cases, I don’t know exactly, he worked in places such as East Side Ink, Read St Tattoo, NY Adorned, Hobos, South St. Tattoo and other places of knowledge. Basically, he did the same shit that all the tattoo artists do: Travel, tattoo and draw. But he had something more to offer.

If I can be blunt, as I will be here, it can be said that Daniel Higgs changed modern tattooing. He re-introduced the overlooked rule of using black like it was the truth and made his designs simpler, more dynamic and easier to read than was accustomed to in that time. He did it like they used to do it in the early days, bringing back to tattooing something that had been missing. Spirit of such artist as: August “Cap” Coleman, Sailor Jerry, “Brooklyn” Joe Lieber and Bob Wicks. Those people made American tattooing what it was and is today. But he didn’t just blindly follow their lead but instead he thought about what it is that makes their work so good and mixed that together with his own ideas and knowledge. He made simple and in your face TATTOOS and didn’t try to re-create the wheel, just improve it.

And then he… well fuck, actually, that’s pretty much all I know. I really don’t have any other witty analogies or anything like that. So there wont be a long list of things that he did because to put it simply, I don’t fucking know anything else that he did! I only know the possible mind set that he had. He was a rebel to put it mildly. And one secretive fucker. And there is an explanation to he’s secrecy that is based on simple logic.

a.) He brought the occult back to tattooing as can be seen when studying his work and listening to the stories told about him.

b.) The word occult means secret.

Conclusion

Daniel Higgs went out to find answers and when he found them he made sure that it would take others some dedication to find out what he did. If he hadn’t done that, then all the little moths would fly in the candle, one after another, burning up, dying because of the standard of mediocrity. And that in turn would make all the occultist symbols that he used in his work meaningless. No secret in being non secretive. That’s why it is so hard to know anything about him. Because he actually succeeded in following the other path. He is the living proof of the fact that you don’t have to be infected by the mind virus.

Evolve or die.

Bill, you are correct. Brain tumor.

And Hogg is correct, I spent a lot of time at Tux's, both as a client and a friend. He did a lot of my first tattoos and a proud to have a lot of work from him, and among other things he was also a very major influence on my outlook & my early impressions in Our Thing.

He was the first person to put a machine in my hand, was the one to introduce me to both Higgs and DeVita, and always freely gave me info or answers to anything I asked. I dont know why he bonded with me or my old housemate Poppy, but for some reason we clicked. He was such an asshole to so many other people.

The very epitomy of the old grumpy tatbro, I saw him mercilessly & cruelly shoot down so many ideas of walk-in customers (including myself; he saved me from a lot of stupid tattoo ideas I had when I was 18/19) with the ol' "thats a stupid fucking idea. Thats not a tattoo". I can only assume this is where Dan got his phrase 'mine is not the only way, but the only way you'll get from me'.

I can not speak with complete accuracy on this, but if I'm not correct, I think Seth might've asked him for a job way way way back? If what I remember is correct, Tux treated him like a heel and told him to split; in so many words. Only Seth could verify this for sure. Seth if I got that wrong, my bad.

Not that Seth was the only one. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened when Dave Waugh was at his shop, feeling out a job if my somewhat shakey memory is correct. All of this happende back in 93 or 94, so if anything is incorrect on the Seth or Dave story, plz understand.

I was really bummed when I heard of his passing. It happened when I was living in Minneapolis and had no way to come back to Bmore & visit or pay my respects.

Jeff, you did a lot for me, and can be responsible for much of my appreciation of our culture. Many thanks. RIP

Thanks for the story irezumi....I love to hear this stuff....especially about the Baltimore/DC area!

When I got my first tattoo there might have been 5-6 shops in the Baltimore/DC area! I went into Tux's a few times with friends who got tattooed there (I am guessing by Tux) and since I was from the Lansdowne area, it was probably one of the closest shops...but I went up to Dragon Moon for my first tattoo (and only one for years)!

Knowing the history of the area like I do now....I wish I had gotten more work done...but I know I am lucky to have the tattoos I do have!

• 2 weeks later...

heres an article on tattoo tux Baltimore sun 1991

Tattoo Tux Has Devoted His Heart And Body To Art

Out Of The Academy,back To The 'Real World'

November 04, 1991|By JoAnna Daemmrich | JoAnna Daemmrich,Staff writer

Tattoo Tux stands in the middle of his electric studio and takes a deep drag on his cigarette.

Surrounded by colorful stencils and strange sculptures with flickering candles, miniature Buddhas and skulls, he leans against a table and kicks at the leg.

He's trying to explain his fascination with tattoos. Why did he, at age 41, after quitting the business to put himself through art school, open another tattoo parlor? Why did he, after painting still lifes and becoming fascinated with religious icons, go back to drawing dragons on men's backs? Why is he covered with three layers of ink?

"There's some way of exploring a visual idea with tattoos that's very different," he says. "And it's a way of being artistic in the real world."

He takes a final drag off the cigarette, stubs it out and reaches for another one.

"I like to collect things," he adds. "Tattooing is just a different type of collection."

He began with a dragon and a rose, when he was just out of high school, a teen-ager in the '60s, looking for excitement. Now, three-quarters of his body is covered with a jungle of tattoos. It's a seamless painting of a giantship with a squid wrapped around it, dogs guarding a Japanese temple, a warrior, birds and intricate American Indian designs.

"My armsare sort of an American theme," he explains. "I did a lot of experimenting with all kinds of Americana images on them."

For Joseph Farrar, experimenting is a way of life. He's tried out many different styles, dabbled in different art forms and traveled across the country on his journey from Pittsburgh, Pa. to Brooklyn Park. Each stop brought something new -- at the very least, another tattoo, he says.

Born to a working-class family in the heart of Pennsylvania, Farrar liked to draw as a child. At age 3, he already wasn't going to stoop to conventional forms, however. He painted on the living room walls.

In high school, he became known for sharp dressing. His friends nicknamed him "Tux," a name he later adopted for his tattoo business. He still enjoyed sculpting and drawing, but the school counselors at the time kept urging him to go into carpentry.

"They didn't really have an understanding of what someone who was artistic should do," he recalls. "Back then, art wasn't something that was really encouraged."

After graduating from high school, he considered going to art school. But he was too restless. Students were taking to the streets, artwas being turned upside down and Tux heard the message to "drop out,tune in and turn on."

A cousin of his had learned how to tattoo in New York and came back to open a shop in Pittsburgh when Tux was inhis early 20s. He started hanging around the store, talking to the people and learning how to handle the electric guns.

He worked withhis cousin, Nick Bubash, at Island Avenue Tattoo for five years. Offand on, he traveled out West. He remembers being swept up by the excitement of the times, the new music, art on the streets, the sense ofno boundaries. He hitchhiked and did a little sculpture to earn money.

In the early 1970s, Tux decided he wanted to strike out on his own. One day, while he was dreaming about opening a little tattoo parlor, a guy from Baltimore walked into Island Avenue Tattoo. They fellinto conversation, and the man mentioned that the one thing Baltimore really was missing was a young tattoo artist.

Tux packed his bags the next day. He opened a shop on Howard Street, next to the old Greyhound station, where he stayed for 14 years. Business was brisk andhe earned a reputation for designing what people wanted, whether it was an American eagle, an abstract design in black or a picture of a child.

"Styles change and tastes change," he says. "Twenty years ago, there was a real heavy movement to tattoo hands and necks, because people felt they should show off that they were really into tattoos. Then, we went through an Oriental phase. Now, we do it all."

In 1987, he decided to fulfill his teen-age ambition and go to art school. He began taking classes at the Maryland Institute of Art in Baltimore and soon closed his tattoo shop. The classes and the studio work took too much time to keep his business going, he said.

"I didn't realize the serious nature of going back to school and doing it full time," he said. "Their attitude is, if you want to be a Sunday artist, don't come here."

After graduating, he continued to make his religious icons, shrines that mix Eastern religions and Christianity. Most have a bleeding hand of Christ, the stigmata painted in bright, blood red. They often include skulls, halos and candles.

But there wasn't much money in it. So he rented a small shop on Tenth Avenue in Brooklyn Park and opened a new tattoo parlor.

He advertises his electric studio as "tattooers to the clairvoyant." Tux says he believesthe art form reaches out to people. Seventy percent of his customersknow what kind of designs they want when they walk into his shop, heexplains.

"I sort of fulfill their fantasies," he says. "That's why I say 'to the clairvoyant.' "

• 2 weeks later...