Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

My wife and I each have three tattoos and have gone through some similar feelings to varying degrees after each one. Just as a disclaimer, we both love our work, it is amazing, no regrets, exactly what we wanted, etc.

Does anyone else feel slightly depressed after getting tattooed? My wife has cried after two of hers (she loves them both) just because her body has been forever changed and she tends to respond more emotionally than I do. I've definitely felt minor pangs of sadness - kind of like a low-level grief that happens after any climactic event.

I started an half sleeve yesterday, had months to think about it before starting, etc, and I love the work. Its just this strange wistful/longing feeling that takes a couple of days to go away! Can you all relate?

I'll toss up some pics as the tattoo progresses.

It's refreshing to hear that some one has this same experience! I cried after my first one, I wouldn't say it was sadness or happiness, just a mix of emotions and exhaustion and what not. It's hard to ignore the permanency of a tattoo and some times the idea is still slightly startling. With every one since I feel a little pang of "wow, what did I do to myself?" ---not that I don't regret it, it's just a strange feeling. Although, I think these emotions will become less and less the more tattoos I get (I have only 5 now). Once you're more covered, it's probably not such a big deal.

Yes - I've felt this too. I didn't cry but I was shocked and slightly regretful (not long-term... just like... WHAT DID I DO?!). It definitely got less as I got more. I haven't felt it in the last several but they are in the same area... I wonder what will happen if I move to somewhere fresh.

I can relate to the awkwardness @Iwar speaks of now. I thought for the longest I'd never go through with getting my chest tattooed and looking downward I'm like holy shit my chest is tattooed. It's more of a fuck yea followed by staring at myself for 10 minutes.

I never felt this way about any tattoos on my legs or arms. I guess it's because it's a big step versus extremities which seem to be just commonplace

So far i only got one tattoo but i can somewhat relate to your post. The proces of planning it, getting it and specially healing it was awesome. The tattoo was on my mind 24/7. When it was fully healed i got this feeling of ' well, now what?' I just couldn't really comprehend the fact i changed my body for the rest of my life. My tattoo is now a year old and it makes me smile when i look at it. I love it. Now what? Get more work done and keep on living

So far i only got one tattoo but i can somewhat relate to your post. The proces of planning it, getting it and specially healing it was awesome. The tattoo was on my mind 24/7. When it was fully healed i got this feeling of ' well, now what?' I just couldn't really comprehend the fact i changed my body for the rest of my life. My tattoo is now a year old and it makes me smile when i look at it. I love it. Now what? Get more work done and keep on living

I think you hit the nail on the head. Getting tattooed can be like Christmas, months of build up and anticipation to that day, then it the day comes you get the tattoo and you wake up the next day and start the wait all over, and nothing magical happens, you are the same person just now you have a tattoo, a badass tattoo, but still just a tattoo. i can relate to that and I imagine it also afflicts me. It's probably thing in my head that always makes me focus on how much blank skin I have, not on how much of it is tattooed. I would say sometimes I shake my head at how silly this whole tattoo thing is and how I got involved, but most days I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is kind of the reason I don't travel more and get tattooed, it is kind of a head thing for me. I feel much better about going to someone i know and getting tattooed either same day or next couple days type of thing. To many stuff involved, too many things to go wrong, and I hate being on vacation and having to stick to some schedule.

I got a spider tattooed on my thumb earlier this year and for maybe two hours I was thinking "Man, maybe I shouldn't have done that" (BTW that shit is in there. It ain't washing off). But that went away real quick because I really wanted a spider on my thumb, besides no one hardly ever notices my hands anyway.

Far worse than regrets, I've had this nightmare two or three times where suddenly all my tattoos are gone, i'm a total pinky all over again....

It's caused me to wake up in a panic thinking "Oh God, now I have to go through getting them all over again".

I've never got the blues directly after a tattoo, I do remember it being odd when I got the first thing on my chest because my eyes would catch it when I glanced down and I wasn't used to it being there.

I did get the blues after the SFO convention, more like go into a mini depression, only because it was such a great trip getting tattooed, watching my Wife get tattooed, hang out and shoot the shit with some of my favorite tattooers, etc. It was so much excitement that when I got home to real life things kinda sucked :(

Right now I'm in the excitement stage, I even have a count down marked on my calendar, for my appt. with Grime. Getting to travel to SF, 2 days in a row with Grime and whatever else I get into, I predict a great few days but I also see getting back home and being a little down for a few days when I get home. Fortunately I'll be able to look forward to a few more trips to finish the tattoo :D

Wow! I'm really glad to read everyone's responses. Changing my body is something I take seriously (it is permanent, even if it rules) and something I do with joy (I only have it for the rest of my life).

Anyway, it feels better now that my wife has seen it and loves it! Now I just have to wait until March for my next appointment... so long!

Only time I've ever felt that way was when I got something I knew in my heart sucked. Now that I'm heavily tattooed and seek work from specific good tattooers I only feel stoked. Maybe sad I need to save more $ and wait till next apt.

- - - Updated - - -

We are talking friends learning to tattoo bad....