Why are bad tattoos so popular?

sbhikes

I find based on questions I get asked a lot from "plainskins" is that people who aren't big tattoo-heads think they have to justify getting tattoos by giving them personal meaning. A quote or a small image is easy to be meaningful. A badass battle royale tattoo probably has no meaning. It's just badass. People can't make that kind of commitment without a personal connection. Just like some people can't have one night stands. (This is just my opinion based on the dumb people I know who get lame tattoos).

90 percent of my tattoos don't mean anything. But sometimes I like to come up with crazy stories as to what they "mean". I'm easily amused.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it worst when its a tattoo representing the very recent and very painful death of a loved one (like a young son or daughter), if it helps them deal with the pain, then that's great, but at the same time for the rest of your life you have a constant visual reminder of your absolute worst moment, that people will ask you about and bring up time and time again...

Totally agree. That's exactly why I don't get those "Dear John" tattoos. I wouldn't want to be constantly reminded that I just got dumped.

You are assuming that everyone out there has a creative mind and/or appreciates art.

It ain't so.

Honestly, this is ultimately what it comes down to. I don't claim to have a genius, creative mind, and I'm sure none of the other non-tattooers do either, but at least we have the sense and/or taste to give the tattooers creative freedom. They know what's best, leave it up to them.

One of the reasons I'm glad I didn't start getting tattooed at 18 is because if I did, I'd be covered in a bunch of band symbols and other bullshit. Being open to tatooers' ideas is literally one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

God damn I am drunk.

I love it when people get their own names on themselves. I have much a similar reaction to these as to when I see a civic rolling down the street with a giant "HONDA" on the windshield.

There is a certain level of retarded narcissism involved.

Lol I was talking about that the other day in conversation with a few people. I was like "Why the hell do people get their last names tattooed on themselves?" Then someone in the group said they had their lastname on their back. Whoops!

This is a funny one because on the one hand I see people with people's names written on their necks and few other tattoos, or big paragraphs of text which is pretty illegible and I think 'what in the name of all that's holy were you thinking?!?'

On the other hand I think who am I to criticise ? It's their body, they may absolutely love their tattoos. When they look in be mirror that neck tattoo proclaiming 'Shug' for all to see might make them happy. Is that not the whole point or tattoos ? They are for the person who wears them not for us. Not everyone is going to get what I perceive to be a beautiful tattoo and actually that's ok with me. If we were all the same the world would be an incredibly tedious place.

I have a few script tattoos. They don't mean anything or sentiment. I'm a big word geek and just love the way slightly unusual words look in fancy lettering. Last night I got 'Vagabond Soul' tattooed script. It won't make any sense to alot of people but I love the way the words look.

Anyhow I digress. There's my contribution :)

I left my tattoo cover up open to the "artist" and he messed my tattoo up very bad, check out my laser progress here: Documenting my Tattoo Removal Using the Alex Tri Vantage - Toronto, ON - Tattoo Removal review - RealSelf

Now, I did my homework, he worked at Perfect Image in Collingwood, this is a tattoo shop that promises nothing but exceptional art from all their artists, they have it slathered on their walls, well somehow I got, well click the link and you will see. I really just wanted a pretty tattoo that complimented my awesome back, I was going to add to it and eventually turn it into a back piece...well now I am enjoying the rath of the laser for another year or so...I ask myself all the time, how did I go wrong, he was supposed to be an amazing artist, he promised me the best work, you should have heard him and the owner sell their trust and commitment to me, "We can cover that, no problem, you will have an amazing piece of art and on and on... I felt so proud of myself for finding an awesome shop and artist to finally give me my dream tattoo...well it's a dream alright, wish I only could see it there rather than everyday of my life...what a mess! Once I get enough of his ugly ink off my back, I plan another cover up, I am already working with artists, I already put a deposit down at a shop in Toronto because I went there for my foot tattoo (which is awesome I LOVE IT!) and I really like the artist, the shop, they have over a year waiting list, Chronic Ink Tattoo.

There's a difference between a bad tattoo that you didn't choose and a bad tattoo that you did. All my first tattoos were bad until I fixed them. But at least they were an attempt at creativity. I mean the other day I saw the word Imagine written in computer typewriter font. I'm hoping that's just irony.

Youth. I blame youth. Or rather, poorly guided youth. My "worst" tattoos exist because it was the late 90's, I was young, and no one gave me the guidance of shops/artists/designs.

I work with a 20 y/o who tells me what he's going to get and at some no-where-strip-mall shop. I try to guide him, but dude won't listen. In 5-10 years maybe he will. It's all super generic cliche' crap too, which is OK and all if you have a reason or understand what you're getting, but he just wants these things because it's what his friends have or because it's what he's seen in movies and shit.

I'm not saying all really young people are nimrods who'll do this. Just some. Then they grow up and become older nimrods. And the cycle grows. Cut this off early enough, and we'll get some progress. I've met plenty of awesome people younger then me (lol I'm 32, listen to me talking like I'm 90) who don't need the guidance or have had it.

I don't know if I have told this story before, but I finished getting tattooed and was waiting for my friends to get theirs finish at Taylor Street Tattoo on Name Day ($20 names up to 7 letters, $5 per letter after that)None of us were getting names though. Some obvious 19 year old suburban college student walks up to counter and says she wants "The lion loves the lamb" tattooed on her. The vocal latino gal behind her blurted out "That's so lame" loud enough for everyone around to hear it. Everytime someone comes in with a lame tattoo idea, I can't help but think "that's so lame".

- - - Updated - - -

I love it when people get their own names on themselves. I have much a similar reaction to these as to when I see a civic rolling down the street with a giant "HONDA" on the windshield.

There is a certain level of retarded narcissism involved.

Retard Narcissism my new favorite term

I love getting text tattoos, they're all music related. I'm very big into music and it's what I connect with so naturally it's what I want to base my tattoos off of. I think tattoos are like music taste, it's stupid to judge other people's tattoos negatively because it's all subjective. What looks dumb to you is the next persons favorite piece of art. There is no right or wrong thing to get. Things you might love to put on your body, I wouldn't understand. I don't understand tribal, stars, dragons, zodiac signs, etc., but I don't say it's a dumb fad and bash people for getting them because it's what they want on their skin, not my skin.

So that said I have a shit ton of text based tattoos and one of my favorite ones is my post it note tattoo I got right after my dad got out of the hospital. It's the chorus from a song that reminds me of my parents. So damn, I fit all your dumb stereotypes lol emotionally based sentimental text tattoos that stem from song lyrics. Anddddd I love that damn tattoo.

Might be stupid to you all, but I sure as hell wear it with pride. It means something very special to me.

I am not trying to be mean, but the way I look at it good Music is creative, tattooing lyrics to a song on you verbatim is not very creative, I would say it's the antithesis of creative. Any good song should inspire strong imagery. There is so much tattoo imagery inspired by music, and vise versa. Look at the Social D Skeleton, Misfits Crimson Ghost, Tron and her Morrissey, Bikini Kill, Jawbreaker flash, etc. I remember the first time I talked someone out of getting a bunch of lyrics tattooed on them. They wanted all the lyrics to pink floyd wish you were here. I simply said why not get two fish in a bowl and the words "Wish you were Here" above it, it was the simplest idea and the first that came to mind, but never occurred to the client and blew her mind when I suggested it.

Someone liking their tattoo is the most important part, but ultimately the point of this forum I feel is to open people up to ideas they never thought of, and help people get better tattoos.

Unfortunately not everyone can afford such amazing imagery to be tattooed on their skin. Yeah they can save up longer instead of getting the tattoo right then and there, but I'm sure you know how it is to want a tattoo and not be able to afford that huge beautiful piece.

The music I listen to does create strong imagery for me though, that's why mine aren't all text, but they are heavily text based. But I still don't see anything wrong with all text tattoos if that's what a person wants.

I fully admit to being a judgmental asshole sometimes :). Unfortunately that seems to just be a part of the human condition.

In general I don't mind text tattoos, my wife has a lovely one pertaining to our union, don't ask me to remember what it says off the top of my head (looks over his shoulder <.< ---->.> ). They can look good, and I will never deny that there is an art to calligraphy. Whether it be the images behind the text, or the text itself, as long as the tattoo is done WELL that's what I would care about.

Someone liking their tattoo is the most important part,

Of course is the bottom line. I've got a tattoo that is both tribal'ish and has text in it, ack! (see scar's tattoo from fma.) Some people will undoubtedly snicker at that, but you know what? Fuck em :) As long as your text has meaning to you, and makes you happy, that's what matters.

Damn, that is SO GOOD! That should be required reading for everyone who is thinking of getting a text tattoo.

In my opinion, plain text tattoos on their own say nothing to me. A couple of well placed words in a larger design can, sometimes, add something to the piece that I would not have thought about if the words had not been there. Its rare, but it can be done very well. A line of text above or below a tattoo add nothing to the design, in fact they can really detract from what the design should be - bold and readable.

Unfortunately not everyone can afford such amazing imagery to be tattooed on their skin. Yeah they can save up longer instead of getting the tattoo right then and there, but I'm sure you know how it is to want a tattoo and not be able to afford that huge beautiful piece.

The music I listen to does create strong imagery for me though, that's why mine aren't all text, but they are heavily text based. But I still don't see anything wrong with all text tattoos if that's what a person wants.

because people who walk around looking like dictionaries or novels isnt good. they dont age well, and it's pointless when you can sum up those words into an image.

Eh, it's your opinion, you're entitled to have it, just like others are entitled to have their text tattoos, their tribal tattoos, their tramp stamps and so on. As long as we are happy with what is on our own skin that's all that matters. I'd still much rather have a novel written on my skin that means something to me than a tattoo that I got just because I like the way it looks. I have both types of tattoos and in general, have been much more pleased with the tattoos that actually mean something to me and those are always the ones that have some sort of text in them.

I'm happy with them so I really have no clue why I'm trying to justify it to anyone else? Lol. I feel like trying to justify why I got my first tattoo to my mom.

lol ok? anywho, yeah, people should like their tattoos. if they do, thats great. they have to live with it. Doesn't mean the world has to change their sense of aesthetics to fit the person's views of their own tattoo. Lol the world isn't gonna pat you on the back for your tattoo choices. And, just because a tattoo has meaning doesnt mean it looks good.

I find based on questions I get asked a lot from "plainskins" is that people who aren't big tattoo-heads think they have to justify getting tattoos by giving them personal meaning. A quote or a small image is easy to be meaningful. A badass battle royale tattoo probably has no meaning. It's just badass. People can't make that kind of commitment without a personal connection. Just like some people can't have one night stands. (This is just my opinion based on the dumb people I know who get lame tattoos).

I have a hard time "wanting" anything with meaning. Sure, i got the kids' name and one for my grandpa, but to me, even getting tattooed with an image/phrase that means nothing to me now, will remind me of where I was in my life when I got it. I guess my tattoos are more "Dogs Eared Pages" in the book of my life.

(fuck, that's kinda catchy, huh?) lol

Yeah cheapness is another thing to blame on bad tattoos. The impatience to get something "now" without being able to afford a good artist really screws people. I understand not have the cash. I make little enough cash to be able to qualify for government aid for some things. I am not rich by any means. I just save up when it comes to the tattoos.

I'd rather wait and get something awesome from someone good, meaning aside, then be impatient and just go get something cheap.

I think the impatience some people have is a big reason for bad tattoos. BTW, when I say bad I'm not totally talking about what they're getting, but the quality of it. Will it last, will the design look good in 10 years? 20? 50?