favorite seasonal foods

MsRad

As soon as I get off this god dammed computer I'm making Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew. When it's cold like this, I crave hearty soups and spicy stews, winter squashes, root vegetables, lotsa potatoes, and the more onions, garlic and spices the better. Earlier this week I made Yam and Black Bean Soup w/Orange and Cilantro, it was awesome. Myself and a bunch of moms sat around eating it after a long, cold day in the park, and it was satisfying enough to completely tune out the 6 monkeys destroying my house.

Last week I made Quinoa, White Bean and Kale Soup, and it was really good, despite it's suspiciously healthy appearance. I suspect that what made it all come together was some crushed fennel seeds and the world's biggest parsnip. Clearly these are the things that I'm craving, as they are the things I'm cooking. There will also be a Potato Spinach Curry in my near future.

MsRad, the sumatras are really good right now. Honeycrisps are my current apple of choice, it very much changes with the seasons, sometimes weekly!

We should meet at Manzanita sometime, they're pretty much ALWAYS serving collards these days.

i have never been there but have heard nothing but amazing things about them. yes, this sounds like a terrific idea. maybe we could do lunch?

Juarez Blood Tomato's: Someone either died for them, or for the cocaine grown beside them.

Thanks to Miss. Tammy!! She also has a gardening blog that she can share the link to....Tammy? That woman does everything!

As for seasonal food, lately we have been doing lots of soups as well as cooking with tons of leeks and poached eggs trying to create new recipes.

I was drunk watching blood diamond when Mrsrad posted about them "being from mexico =/"

Since there is all that crazy shit going on in Juarez right now, I put the two subjects together and came up with the Juarez Blood Tomato.

Also, I know the cartels love there nose candy and they cannot only profit by selling harmless tomatos I figured that they would use the tomato growing farms as a cover up for the large amount of coke they produce.

Again, A little tipsy when I created the whole "Blood Tomato" thing.

i am actually considering growing one plant of tomatoes indoors next year so i can have some tomatoes.

i am really missing my broccoli leaves. i grew them last year and the leaves made the BEST soup. i totally my winter garden in this year so no broccoli, swiss chard, beets, peas...only arugala...so if anyone wants arugala i have a ton.

i love great homemade broths...i made a split pea soup last week...super yummy...

any soup, grilled cheese or homemade bread is a winner meal!

ps. robin, this is when great citrus starts hitting the market. cara cara oranges are in season now (and also grow well here if anyone wants to grow)...meyer lemons are ripening up...