"Tattoo Rescue"

Wasn't there already a show like this or am I thinking of a different one? There are so many tattoo shows I can't keep them straight. And I fully admit I scrape the bottom of the barrel and watch them at times. Rubbernecking at an accident, me.

• 2 months later...

so i ended up catching half of an episode of this when i woke up this morning. they had rick walters on there retuning these guys machines and shit.. shouldn't that be something these guys can do themselves? i don't understand what good this show is really supposed to be doing.

-insert rant on people who don't tattoo making money off tattooing-

LOL that's kind of a silly thing to say IMO,that's like saying the CEO of GM does'nt drive but he's wrong for making money off of people who do,or Bill gates uses a MAC but he makes money off of people who use Windows and he's an asshole for that ? (insert/just examples)

anyone been watching this new show bad ink?? worst show ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I would watch anything tattoo related, now matter how bad. This show taught me I was wrong. There are no words that could convey how awful it is. You have to watch it to understand. Besides the show being horrible I don't think the coverups are very good either.

So for the publicity whores, they get their first bad tattoo on Ink Master, get their first coverup on Bad Ink and then get that abomination covered up on Tattoo Nightmare. Then they can go on Best Ink and start all over!

LOL that's kind of a silly thing to say IMO,that's like saying the CEO of GM does'nt drive but he's wrong for making money off of people who do,or Bill gates uses a MAC but he makes money off of people who use Windows and he's an asshole for that ? (insert/just examples)

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Tattooing isn't the vehicle/computer industry. It has until recent years largely been ran by by a small microcosm of craftsmen/artists, rather than a committee running focus groups and assembly lines. The lamentable thing from my perhaps limited perspective is the advent of people who don't truly understand how it works influencing it.

If it were the vehicle industry though, I much prefer the old days where the cars were crafted with care, by hand, and had much more flare/personality. The mass produced cars of today might be safe and comfortable, but they don't make you smile the same way that 66' corvette cruising down the road does.

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Tattooing isn't the vehicle/computer industry. It has until recent years largely been ran by by a small microcosm of craftsmen/artists, rather than a committee running focus groups and assembly lines. The lamentable thing from my perhaps limited perspective is the advent of people who don't truly understand how it works influencing it.

If it were the vehicle industry though, I much prefer the old days where the cars were crafted with care, by hand, and had much more flare/personality. The mass produced cars of today might be safe and comfortable, but they don't make you smile the same way that 66' corvette cruising down the road does.

like I said,they were just examples,maybe a better one is the true story of a friend of mine that owns & runs a successful tattoo shop,but he does not do tattoos himself.

:) and I agree cars today don't have the same character they used to have.

Guess that would depend on what your idea of success is. The fact that your friends shop is owned and run by a non tattooer makes it the opposite of a success. Its not always about money. Sometimes its about maintaining perspective in a time of bullshit reality tv and interlopers trying to burn tattooing for every dollar they can while the "fad" still lasts. Sometimes its more about what you put into tattooing than what you take out. Something that a non tattooer will never be able to do.

Guess that would depend on what your idea of success is. The fact that your friends shop is owned and run by a non tattooer makes it the opposite of a success. Its not always about money. Sometimes its about maintaining perspective in a time of bullshit reality tv and interlopers trying to burn tattooing for every dollar they can while the "fad" still lasts. Sometimes its more about what you put into tattooing than what you take out. Something that a non tattooer will never be able to do.

This likely the case with 'tattoo shows' but before assuming a shop owner who doesn't tattoo is doing while the 'fad' lasts could likely be pretty far off base..

If a non tattooing person owns a successful shop, my first assumption would be he/she has a passion for tattooing but is not artistically inclined enough to tattoo and do a good job and instead employees ppl who can and 'lives his dream' through them.. I say that because I know a guy like this..

This likely the case with 'tattoo shows' but before assuming a shop owner who doesn't tattoo is doing while the 'fad' lasts could likely be pretty far off base..

If a non tattooing person owns a successful shop, my first assumption would be he/she has a passion for tattooing but is not artistically inclined enough to tattoo and do a good job and instead employees ppl who can and 'lives his dream' through them.. I say that because I know a guy like this..

Meh. It's some of both. The dude I work for doesn't tattoo, but has a strong appreciation for them. He mostly thinks that they're cool and just likes the lifestyle. He always makes sure that we have everything that we need, but as far as contributing to the legacy of tattooing, he has nothing to offer. One of my coworkers has a job at another shop which is also owned by a non-tattooer. They just worked a convention in the area last week, and his boss was down their throat the entire time, yelling at them for taking too long and not getting people in & out fast enough. All the while still making the artists pay shop cut, which at a convention, is robbery.

Some people are in the business for the cash, some for the braggery, some for the image, and some for the love of the culture. In my opinion, tattoos are a personal thing that happens between the client and the artist. I really do believe that only seasoned professionals should be at the head of the shop for a few reasons. One being that a seasoned professional will be able to offer the very best for the client. Take a moment to think about who owns some of the world's top shops, or even the best shops in your city. Another being that a seasoned professional will generally hire only good artists. They will know exactly what to look for in work ethic, technique, personality, and skill. And most importantly, who has earned the right to have a tattoo shop more than someone who has been working in the business 15+ years?

I think it's mostly like what Bo said, it really comes down to what you are able to give back.

of course there will always be exceptions. Ny adorned comes to mind. but so do countless other hot topic outlet tat shacks across the country. The second example that cltattooing gave seems to be the norm. People worried about the bottom line and little else, well maybe what color vinyl sticker to put on their hummer so everyone knows they own a tat shop. I personally will never work for someone who does not tattoo. I dont see the point. What can you learn from them? The vast majority of new people in this business have a very long or very short road ahead of them. Its up to the individual if they want to take control of their career and push themselves to improve everyday. Or you could just get a "neck blast" and some sick "hand jammers" so everyone knows you are one of the cool kids and pump out mediocre heath ledger portraits till its time to get a real job. I read on Tim Hendricks instagram something to the effect of there is no room in tattooing for mediocrity. I agree wholeheartedly be it tattooers or shops. If you arent willing to dedicate yourself get the fuck out.

- - - Updated - - -

:) I don't want to turn this into anything negative.

Im a very positive person and not trying to be an asshole but any thread about a reality tattoo show is bound to go there!

Meh. It's some of both. The dude I work for doesn't tattoo' date=' but has a strong appreciation for them. He mostly thinks that they're cool and just likes the lifestyle. He always makes sure that we have everything that we need, but as far as contributing to the legacy of tattooing, he has nothing to offer. One of my coworkers has a job at another shop which is also owned by a non-tattooer. They just worked a convention in the area last week, and his boss was down their throat the entire time, yelling at them for taking too long and not getting people in & out fast enough. All the while still making the artists pay shop cut, which at a convention, is robbery.

Some people are in the business for the cash, some for the braggery, some for the image, and some for the love of the culture. In my opinion, tattoos are a personal thing that happens between the client and the artist. I really do believe that only seasoned professionals should be at the head of the shop for a few reasons. One being that a seasoned professional will be able to offer the very best for the client. Take a moment to think about who owns some of the world's top shops, or even the best shops in your city. Another being that a seasoned professional will generally hire only good artists. They will know exactly what to look for in work ethic, technique, personality, and skill. And most importantly, who has earned the right to have a tattoo shop more than someone who has been working in the business 15+ years?[/quote']

I def see your points, dude I know that owns a shop tried/tries to tattoo but is not great. He also has the longest running tattoo shop in the county, 15+ years.

The shop I use is owned by a guy who I believe used to tattoo, I'll have to double check that, but he no longer tattoos for sure. My artist manages the shop day to day, he's been tattooing 15+ years and at the current shop over 10.

The shop is consistently voted 'best in the triangle' so I do believe the owner to be a real tattoo guy.

If the shop is taking their cut when they shouldn't be, sounds like your friend(s) need a new shop honestly, because that sucks.

@BoMcConaghie Well said, man.

@deadsp0t Yeah, I mean every situation is going to be different. I'm not going to be at my current shop forever, or likely within the next few years. As for my coworker, that's something he's gotta figure out for himself. Everyone needs to know where they stand as far as how they value their time and skills, but there ain't much I can do about his position. But yeah, moral of the story: people who don't tattoo shouldn't be making money off of tattooing.

I know Frith Street and NY Adorned exist, but I think it's very few and far between that a person that doesn't tattoo understands what it takes to run a tattoo shop properly. More importantly even if "get it' it's pretty hard to gain enough respect that good tattooers would want to work for you and finally most non tattooers in the know understand that just because they can open a shop, doesn't mean they should. The people who don't apply to these three categorieshelp mold the negative stereotype for non tattooers owning shitty shops.

Just to ammend: when I say 'making money' I mostly mean capitalizing, which I feel is very different from putting hard effort toward something and reaping its benefits.

As a tattooed person and a business person I can say that in quite a few shops I have frequented over the years, the shop owners as well as the other artists do not care for the business end of things. And more than a few shops who have killer artists have gone out of business due to their lack of business acumen.

Would it be wrong to become the "money man" behind some of these artists, put "the hard effort" toward the artist and provide them with the best of the best in a building, an atmosphere, equipment, schedulers, and accounting? I think this would take a lot of pressure off some folks who live to tattoo and hate to be in the business of tattooing.

Just rattling this off. I don't have the kind of money it would take to undergo such a venture, even though it would be a dream come true.