How did/do you choose a tattoo(s)? Is there a meaning to your decision? Is there always a meaning to the tattoo(s) you get? What was the deciding factor in you putting a thought, event, etc on your body? Pls share a picture!

Edited by Lochlan

• 2 months later...

yes the two tattoos that i have so far both have meaning. the attached picture is of my first tattoo i got in august. its on my ribs and its the names joia(joy-a) and avelan. joia was my first portuguese water dog and she passed away almost 3 years ago but i still got her name on me because she affected my life so deeply in such a short amout of time. she was only with me for 7 months and she was very very sick, but i gave her a good life until she passed on a cold Feburary night. i hate the way she had to go, and it still haunts me. avelan is my current portuguese water dog. shes 2 1/2 years old and shes just a ball of life and constant entertainment. i couldnt be any happier with the way Lizzie(speakeasy) did the tattoo. its perfect!

There are a million things that go into each one, consciously and subconsciously.. Some have been more on a whim, others have been mulled over for years, some have been a combination of both, if that makes sense.

Here's an example: I'd wanted a Poe tattoo since I was probably 13, thought about it forever and had the chance to get tattooed by Todd Noble last year. So I made an appointment, he drew something up and we put it on. Encompasses everything about my goals, inspirations, fears, interests...and then got it done in what seemed like a split second. Weird.

post-147-146168828485_thumb.jpg

my second and newest tattoo also has meaning. its the words " im stronger now then i ever was before". yes i know its alot of words but its lyrics from Villian a song by Hedley. im a big fan of the band but even after they are dead and gone the words will still mean something to me. the other elements i have in there are some ivy and roman numeral 23. the ivy represents strength and growth and i put the 23 in there because i just turned 23 and i am hoping that this coming year will be a year of change. i dont have a picture of it yet but i look at it evey day and im just amazed at how beautiful it is!

I kind of regret that so many people at one point started saying things like "make sure it means something before you get it."

I don't have issues with something that naturally means something. That dog names tattoo for example. Straight and to the point. Awesome. Or say, you have three kids, you want three roses with the kids names in banners. Fine. Bit cluttered, but given space and a smart tattooer this looks great.

Trying to force a tattoo to be justifiable is ridiculous, though. "There needs to be some blue because that's my Mom's birthstone color,and some red, because that's my Gramma's, and there needs to be a cross because I love God, and there needs to be three poinsettias because I have three kids, and in each of the poinsettias I want initials of the kid they represent, and there needs to be a basketball because I played on my high school team and we were all state, and there needs to be this bible passage because it means a lot to me, and ......etc.

None of those things in there are bad on their own,or in smaller groupings, but there's no need to try to make your tattoo as justifiable to everyone you know. No need to try to make it as un-tattooey, or benign or as un-offensive to others as possible.

Sometimes viewing it as collecting art from an artist, or just getting a very well done image of something you like is just as valid as something that holds a deep meaning to you. I have all three kinds of tattoos, and nothing against getting any one kind, but don't feel that you have to force a meaning into something that you already like but are nervous that it's not some deep truth to your soul.

I kind of regret that so many people at one point started saying things like "make sure it means something before you get it."

Yep. Take a deep breath, don't try to cram a bunch into one design and relax. I think it is good to have a combination though. Get meaningful tattoos all you want, but throw in some less intense ones or something you get on a whim. Feels good!

Yep. Take a deep breath, don't try to cram a bunch into one design and relax. I think it is good to have a combination though. Get meaningful tattoos all you want, but throw in some less intense ones or something you get on a whim. Feels good!

Totally agree.

I personally like something that makes people giggle when they see it. I get more of a kick out of that than anything else... But thats just me.

Well, I've only chosen twice so far, but...

The first one is a design I'd wanted for about 10 years, and has lots of meaning to me. It encompasses a variety of Pagan spiritual symbolism - I've explained it in my intro, and in the religious tattoos thread, so I don't want to get redundant. It's on the left side of my body. Moving forward, I'm using the left side for the "meaningful/spiritual" pieces. In many Pagan traditions, the weak side is the receptive side - so I'm using it for qualities I want to draw in.

Since I'm right handed, the right side is my projetcing side. That's getting used for musical and whimsical tattoos - pretty much anything I like. Tomorrow I go in for tattoo number 2, which is going on my right arm. It's an image from a Black Crowes t-shirt I bought in the mid-90's, and have always thought it'd make a good tattoo - luckily, my artist agrees :D. Pictures will be posted when complete.

Future choices? I have some ideas, for both sides...while more meaningful stuff is in the works for the left side, I also really want a Perry the Platypus on my right leg :).