Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

A guy at work last night wanted my advice on a design his friend had drawn for him (sigh), because apparently I have the most "bad ass" tattoo of everyone at work. That's not exactly difficult when everyone else has tiny little wrist/ankle scribbles and swirls. The design is apparently "the only thing" he would ever want to have tattooed on him, and he's been holding onto it for months because he's too scared to actually go through with it. It was basically a question mark with an eye. Of course, it had some deep, literal meaning that he had to explain to me (the question mark is because he's always questioning things, the eye is because he's always seeking the truth). The whole thing was just so poorly designed and pretentious that it took all I had to not roll my eyes at him. I basically told him he'd be better off coming up with a vague concept and letting an artist draw something, instead of having someone imitate this design, because it was awful (I didn't say that). Then I got the whole "Well, this is really personal to me and I want to have some say in its design" response. At the mention of another artist changing it, he said he would just go to a friend of the guy who drew it, who, of course, is an "amazing" tattoo artist and would copy it exactly the way he wanted it. Funny how everyone knows someone that's amazing at tattoos. At that point, I just kind of nodded and went back to work, it was a hopeless cause.

He's amazing because he can copy a poor design verbatim. Makes sense.

@Synesthesia You reminded me of something I've heard several times from non-tattooed people: That they're going to get a tattoo soon. But first, they're going to put the design they want on the wall where they'll see it everyday for 1 year (it's ALWAYS "1 year") before they get it.

I don't understand. You're gonna make your artist do a sketch then wait a year to tattoo it on you? Or, more likely, you're just printing out whatever from the internet and at the end of a year will be so attached to that exact design you won't let your artist redraw it or change it at all.

Of course, these people never seem to end up getting the tattoo... but they sure do like to talk about it at length at the bar on a Saturday night...

Of course, it had some deep, literal meaning that he had to explain to me (the question mark is because he's always questioning things, the eye is because he's always seeking the truth). The whole thing was just so poorly designed and pretentious that it took all I had to not roll my eyes at him.

I look back with vivid embarrassment at my first thoughts surrounding my first tattoo... and after reading a post like this, I'm really glad I never really talked about it with anyone, haha. I had mostly come to my senses re: design before the needle hit my skin, thank goodness, but it took so long to get to that point because I was obsessive over everything (design/details/meaning/etc.).

I think it's a really common perspective for people getting their first tattoo. Maybe I tend to have more sympathy for these people than others since I basically used to be like that myself. Of course, I still think they need to educate themselves, but I get where they're coming from. Too much attention to an abstract meaning almost always means the tattoo suffers. But when you think about changing your body permanently for the first time, it's probably pretty natural to want as much control as possible.

But when you think about changing your body permanently for the first time, it's probably pretty natural to want as much control as possible.

That's a good point, I'm sure that's where the "1 year" idea comes from. People feel that if they follow the right rules, or make their tattoo sentimental enough, they can be certain to avoid regretting their decision. I bet a lot of people who end up getting (what we would consider) silly tattoos as their first probably go on to get awesome work later once they get that mental hurdle out of the way.

I think that's part of what makes tattoos so great though... the commitment, the permanence, the trust in your artist. Because of these things, every tattoo is inherently meaningful just for the process itself. Overthinking it or trying too hard to take the risk aspect away from that tattoo would, ironically, somewhat diminish the sentiment of it for me. I'm rambling now, though... :)

People feel that if they [...] make their tattoo sentimental enough, they can be certain to avoid regretting their decision.

Yup.

I bet a lot of people who end up getting (what we would consider) silly tattoos as their first probably go on to get awesome work later once they get that mental hurdle out of the way.

...and yup.

I don't know if I'd call my first tattoo "silly" -- it's just a black & gray ibis about the size of a pad of Post-Its -- but I would like to think that I'm getting better at recognizing really good tattoos when I see them, about paying attention to the artists behind the tattoos instead of just the tattoos, and appreciating different artists's styles, etc. It's gotten more fun now, and I see why an entire culture exists around tattooing. When I was getting my first one, I didn't know any of that stuff, and I didn't think it was "about" that anyway. (It was about me -- duh. ;))

People feel that if they follow the right rules, or make their tattoo sentimental enough, they can be certain to avoid regretting their decision. I bet a lot of people who end up getting (what we would consider) silly tattoos as their first probably go on to get awesome work later once they get that mental hurdle out of the way.

I can understand that. I am so glad I didn't get any of the stuff I wanted when I was 14, I'd be covered in nautical stars and metalcore song lyrics. I "sit on" ideas for a few months to make sure I still like it and to help me formulate my opinions about what I want from the piece (I currently have several ideas in that stage :D), but it's not specific designs. And when someone who knows way more than you about something (anything, not just tattoos) tells you they think what you're doing is stupid, you listen. People like the guy I'm mentioning think they know everything there is to know about something, with no experience and no research. On this board, I'm still very much a "newb" and that's humbling and makes me want to learn and experience more; however, compared to this guy, I'm an expert on the subject. So when I tell him what will most likely happen with his design, and he goes out of his way to defy me and get his way even after I explain why it's a bad idea...that's not just a nervous first timer, that's someone that's choosing to remain ignorant and gets what they deserve.

There was a dude at the bar yesterday who was FUCKED UP on who knows what... more than alcohol, that's for sure. I think that was the first time I've ever actually had to tell someone not to touch me.

I think I've gotten pretty lucky so far with people being rude and entitled, but I gotta say this thread was the first thing I thought of when he was all up in my space.

There was a dude at the bar yesterday who was FUCKED UP on who knows what... more than alcohol, that's for sure. I think that was the first time I've ever actually had to tell someone not to touch me.

I think I've gotten pretty lucky so far with people being rude and entitled, but I gotta say this thread was the first thing I thought of when he was all up in my space.

Gotta love morons (.. bigger morons than ME..) in bars. I don't mind ladies touching me though, some on the beach just have to handle my art... heck, let 'em have some fun.

Rob

Yeah I guess it's a bit different if you don't have to fear for your safety from the people trying to lift up your clothes.

I've actually had drunks try to grab my arms from over the bar to check out my tattoos, while I am serving drinks...This has been both women and men and it pisses me off, because I swear, it's like being drunk gives you the sense of entitlement to touch and pull at things that aren't yours. My bar is right next to a tattoo shop, too, so the culture is pretty standard here in Seabright Santa Cruz.

I've seen drunk guys comment on girls tattoos and then proceed to bury themselves in the process by backhanding complementing the tattoo.

At this point, I don't have too many exposed tattoos so I haven't had to deal with gawkers. I have had a girl once tell me that I looked "too normal" to work at a tattoo shop, to which I took offense.

Most of the people in my circle are very open to tattoos as most of them have tattoos. I do have an uncle who is in law enforcement who love to trash talk tattoos and people with them. He doesn't support my career or the art form. I can attribute the hostility towards tattoos to ignorance in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...
The same dumb asses that wear Sons of Anarchy Leather vests and think they are bad asses.
That is so sad. I'm happy to say I've not seen this yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A club I rode with was asked by the local 1%er club to take off our vests at a biker event because our logo looked too much like a patch. They were really nice about it, but wouldn't have been so nice if we had refused. I think they would have just started wailing on an SOA wannabe.

If you're going to be around real bikers, you had better know the rules.

A club I rode with was asked by the local 1%er club to take off our vests at a biker event because our logo looked too much like a patch. They were really nice about it, but wouldn't have been so nice if we had refused. I think they would have just started wailing on an SOA wannabe.

If you're going to be around real bikers, you had better know the rules.

Yes, a wise move to comply with their wishes. There's a lot of club rules and regulations behind earning the right to wear a patch. I saw a beef once in the same club over another chapter's bottom rocker that somehow was an infraction for some obscure reason.

Rob

• 1 month later...

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea for a thread!

I'm sure I'll think of many things to add to this thread but the first one that comes to mind is how this plainskinned girl at work was asking about my tattoos and she was super complimentary about them, really appreciated that they're nice, well made tattoos and then she commented that I clearly cared a lot about my tattoos "unlike those other people who get them on dares". Other than the fact that it seems most people who have a tattoo or two put way too much thought and meaning into their tattoos, I am kind of offended by the comment because I would get a tattoo on a dare.

I dare you tattoo my name on your forehead

Was recently at a party uptown in NY and had trust fund / rich / spoilt girls genuinely ask me how i support myself / live whilst having tattoos. No joke..

When i asked why they hadn't got tattoos themselves they simply said, because ' father would cut me off and not pay my rent' i looked blankly for a second then walked off....

They lived a 20 minute train ride to Brooklyn and had never been, even though they had lived in NY their entire life.

Blew my mind for a couple of minutes then just thought how lucky I was to not be them.

This is going to sound snobbish but does anyone else have a really difficult time having an enjoyable conversation about tattoos with a non-tattooed person? It seems like they always push the conversation towards: laser removal, their super meaningful/personal tattoo design idea and the long story behind it, reality tv, infection/disease, or other similar non-sense.