Preferred tebori styles

taaarro

@jimmyirish You may very well already have resolved this, but I had the same worries, i.e. that he would balk at my idea, etc., but he was very friendly and there was no issue about doing a smaller piece. Japanese is also my first language so I don't know what it's like emailing with him in English. I think the big thing is that it takes muuuch longer than you might think so if you want to get it done in one trip you would have to get a very small piece.

Thanks very much @Graeme, I dropped Horitoshi an email, as you say...no harm in trying! How did you find booking in with him @taaro? I kind of feel unworthy writing an email to someone of such stature within traditional Japanese tattooing, like asking if he'd be interested in doing a smaller tattoo might be perceived as disrespectful in some way. I'm probably just over thinking it

I find it super interesting looking at tattoos done using Tebori, they seem to settle into the skin slightly differently to tattoos applied with machine. I haven't seen any healed Tebori work in person though so its just speculation, but it almost looks to me like it heals slightly less bright but that the carbon in the black settles in a quite particular way?

@taaarro, I didn't hear back in the end from horitoshi 1, but I managed to book in with the equally brilliant Horimitsu. He is my favourite of horitoshi's protégés I think, so I couldn't be more excited!

In terms of time I think Horimitsu reckons we should be able to finish the tattoo in 2-3 sessions, because it is only the lower half of my forearm. I'm gonna be there from the 11th-18th November, I don't know where you are located in Tokyo but if you feel like getting a beer or something I would be super keen!

@jimmyirish Great! Yes let's get a beer!

@taaarro, I didn't hear back in the end from horitoshi 1, but I managed to book in with the equally brilliant Horimitsu. He is my favourite of horitoshi's protégés I think, so I couldn't be more excited!

In terms of time I think Horimitsu reckons we should be able to finish the tattoo in 2-3 sessions, because it is only the lower half of my forearm. I'm gonna be there from the 11th-18th November, I don't know where you are located in Tokyo but if you feel like getting a beer or something I would be super keen!

@Cork Thanks! I must add to my comment that time is for sure longer with tebori, but you are also certainly aware that what you get there is really unique, for everything, from the trip itself (hey, it's Japan, outside the workshop!), the quality of the design, the intensity of the colors (tebori HIS more vivid and long lasting, this is for sure, I saw 20 years old tattoos done by Horitoshi whith my own eyes and I can tell), the genuiness of everything you will experience... that it is worth it. Really. If you do love irezumi, don't hesitate. Also, you will find that, even if it may take some time before he answers back, Horitoshi sensei is really kind and open minded, so just email him! Good luck!

@tavoz Thanks for the comment. I knew the tebori took longer, but I didn't realize the time frame for a kame-no-koh was 8 years, or maybe I just forgot. Your arm looks very good!

@Cork Thanks! I must add to my comment that time is for sure longer with tebori, but you are also certainly aware that what you get there is really unique, for everything, from the trip itself (hey, it's Japan, outside the workshop!), the quality of the design, the intensity of the colors (tebori HIS more vivid and long lasting, this is for sure, I saw 20 years old tattoos done by Horitoshi whith my own eyes and I can tell), the genuiness of everything you will experience... that it is worth it. Really. If you do love irezumi, don't hesitate. Also, you will find that, even if it may take some time before he answers back, Horitoshi sensei is really kind and open minded, so just email him! Good luck!

He attends a convention in New Jersey every year, and I always forget, and email him too late. I actually did email him last week in regards to it and asked if he had open time. He responded within the same day, but regretfully said he did not have any open time. He suggested I come to Tokyo! I told him that I will try again next year. I figure the stars will align eventually and it'll happen.

• 1 month later...

I finally got tebori last week with Horitomo and I thought I'd share. I got an upper thigh piece (Monmon Cat) that wraps partly around the side. He did most of the tattoo by machine and final shading by tebori. The progression of pain was odd. After he dipped in ink or wiped, he'd insert the needles 8 or 9 times before wiping again. For the first 5-ish insertions, I felt no pain. None. Just pressure, and I had to pay attention to see if he'd actually started tattooing each time. It was so strange - like it took my brain a while to realize that tissue damage was in progress. But the final 4-5 insertions, the pain was instantly back. And the quietness of it all was a little disconcerting - I'm used to hearing the buzz to accompany the pain. On the other hand, tebori over my hip area was bad all around, but machine hurts more there as well.

My mom took a picture shortly after he started. After about 10 minutes, I decided headphones was preferable to the endless "schowk schwok schwok."

2YeOxw1FpNSqqOsSRIaD8_sFhA-Yk6JvTuxzo0dmpFu1wGL-ArqyWkXA8hgX4-jnlx1Fg7mUAHTUcjs1cX5K_55O_RKka8s6Tc468-0_c89MLInHBjsXxtP_IZ75wnfzCzPf4sUUYdPebef8izgNWDWijZiZclvSLAt9WdJ2r1m-a5C79Thfg4BWMfelt4u2rvzmuuYBWr3Asj6O1HnDTKF5ya-bV9Ko1ImXnL8V6fKQ8CV_MqMmE692z3fTM_DLx1Rtph1IKKMWa9VeC49OkN9LZDfTVn9rdx_PqVZK9guW8rsr9vN6VkzOxQIN90S-ecB38rp_YaCkhOeQpWiCMCBHCY6WF_4bcGKdUzBAkZZqOZ3ULAXHZJJqW8x2AiggRkXJTHfHtwBYul-g_STFyMw7GEPdMIw6tWGg3mxFpLuq2blk7wjO5kpcmqWPX6LkKOV-HY-SNbaNZv2dzpyNaR7NOnXpAZxwOZ9AVkNlJMzdwD9pQ_-9lr-V1KU2iXLpktongpqaG2W7EyppOFkmYLCycZLkuBZO1EywhhcFgHQ=w500-h361-no

- - - Updated - - -

@SeeSea ... Pro-tip - I'm not sure what part of your body you're getting done, but I strongly suggest wearing headphones. The sound of your skin being repeatedly punctured can make you mental.

Um, yes! I lasted about 10 minutes.

If someone is interested in some powerful bold irezumi, lines made with machine and all shading with tebori, I can warmly recommend Horimatsu (@bunshin_horimatsu on instagram). He travels a lot, especially in Europe.

My first experience of getting tebori done was a juzu bead around my ankle, by said Horimatsu, and it pretty much felt the same as a machine tattoo feels. Then a few months after that he visited Stockholm again and did a half sleeve on me, with some cover ups in it, in five consecutive days . He did all lines and also background (because of the cover up situation...) with machine. That took three days. Then he shaded all colour in two 3-4 hour sessions. The arm felt pretty bad after three days. I think the tattooer stretches the skin with more pressure when doing tebori tattoos, so the last two days were kinda rough. I think what I'm trying to say is it doesn't hurt more than machine tattooing, unless you have huge areas of freshly made tattoos around the areas being worked on with tebori tools. The healing was a bit different on the tebori bits, it kind of flaked off faster than the areas made with machine.

Also, maybe ot, I know it may sound stupid for someone to get tattooed five days in a row, but I really wanted the arm finished. And it was a pretty cool experience:)

file:///.file/id=6571367.9108508

file:///.file/id=6571367.9108467

This is the best I can do right now, both upper arms by Horimatsu from Osaka, done at Stockholm Classic Tattoo (except for the lines on the left arm, they were done at Tatuata in Helsinki). The left arm is not finished.

I actually tried to post two different photos but I'm too stupid to manage that task...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just reviving this thread with a question.

I understand that Horitoshi 1 does not use ink from overseas , in fact most tebori artists use powder which seems to last longer.

Does anyone of Horitoshi 1 family or deshi still use the powder method? 

The last thing i want is to go for tebori session and see ink bottles that are used at normal tattoo shops.