The ladies thread

SeeSea

@KBeee I've heard both sides re: tattoos stretching after pregnancy. So there may be no way to predict what will happen to your body. Therefore, the best piece of advice may be to err on the side of caution IF the tattoo looking wonky after pregnancy is a concern to you.

Here is a link to a blog I follow called Sometimes Sweet: Sometimes Sweet: Tattoo Tuesday V.100

The author used to do a Tattoo Tuesday series, so on the 100th Tuesday, she talked about her tattoos. A little more than halfway down she posted pictures of her rib piece before and after giving birth to her first son. They didn't change at all. Just an example.

Thank you so much for posting the link to this site! Great reading and pics. :)

Just out of curiosity, are you left or right handed? I'm a righty but yet to start on my right arm (next on the list), have only done the left inner forearm which took around 4.5 hours but could've easily sat for longer.

I'm right handed - which I figure may account for the difference.

Hi, i just got a big tattoo on my upper left pec and am wondering if it's causing my breast to swell up. It's high up an inch below the collar bone and there is a dark yellow bruise that goes al around and ends 2 or 3 inches above my nipple. Yesterday i noticed that the tattoos breast was larger that the other and was really drooping low. I just wanted to check and see if this has happened to anyone else when they got a chest tattoo.

Hi, i just got a big tattoo on my upper left pec and am wondering if it's causing my breast to swell up. It's high up an inch below the collar bone and there is a dark yellow bruise that goes al around and ends 2 or 3 inches above my nipple. Yesterday i noticed that the tattoos breast was larger that the other and was really drooping low. I just wanted to check and see if this has happened to anyone else when they got a chest tattoo.

Hi Faolan,

I havent gotten my chest tattooed but it sounds to me like thats probably the cause.. however if you are concerned give your artist a ring.. don't hesitate to do so as they know far better than us the affects tattooing has on the body. Hope the swelling goes down for you and it's not causing you too much bother!

Well i managed to survive getting my sternum tattooed yesterday! I was really worried about it after being told horror stories and also because i'm incredibly self concious of that area! I did indeed need to have my boobs out for a short amount of time getting the stencil on etc... i was really really embarrased while that was happening.. however my tattoo artist was an absolute gentleman. He ensured we had privacy , talked to me the whole time i was derobed and put me totally at ease. Everyone else in the shop was incredibly respectful too. By the end of it i couldve walked around the shop with my top off and not cared haha!! Its amazing how quickly you get into it.

The suggestion of vest underneath a softer bra is an absolute godsend today so that's definitly got my vote too!

Hi Faolan,

Each tattoo/tattooee/tattooer is different but it is a pretty sensitive area. The day after I had mine done, the whole area was a bit swollen and I had some yellow bruises on the top of my arms of all places. Maybe your artist applied some pressure on your breast and you didn't really notice at the time?

I hope it'll get better soon but as Hollyjoybee advised, get in touch with your artist if you're worried.

Have any of you lovely ladies heard of The Modified Dolls?

Basiiiic Biiitchheeeesss! <channeling oprah here>

Maybe that's a bit of hyperbole, but the need to label and band together...as I write that I'm like wtf is wrong with that, hah - but anyway it just seems like another "look at me" thing and not so much about anything else.

It's for the BBs, ladies, and I and most of you (or at least whoever I'm thinkin about sorry for my lack of specificity) do not qualify, which is prob why we're all like "nah".

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm going to have a fresh leg wound in June, and I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some lightweight, work-appropriate (doesn't need to be too formal, I can wear jeans to work) pants that wouldn't irritate it. I wore leggings for my first calf tattoo, which worked out fine, but it'll probably be too hot for those. I'm having a hard time finding something like linen or bamboo pants that doesn't look awful and cost a hundred dollars. I'm a bit fashioned-challenged, though.

I got a pair of satiny loose pants at H&M a few weeks ago - they came in a khaki brown or a black, I got the black. They were fine during those first few hot days we had at the beginning of May. They also had a bunch of those loose pants that were fitted at the ankles, super 80s...

I got a pair of satiny loose pants at H&M a few weeks ago - they came in a khaki brown or a black, I got the black. They were fine during those first few hot days we had at the beginning of May. They also had a bunch of those loose pants that were fitted at the ankles, super 80s...

I think I know exactly what type of pants you're talking about. They're very in right now, and being a sucker for trends I'm dying for some. They do look way comfier than slacks and I like the prints.

As a survivor of the 80s there are some things that will never be flattering on me - pegged pants are one of those things.

So I'm going to have a fresh leg wound in June, and I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some lightweight, work-appropriate (doesn't need to be too formal, I can wear jeans to work) pants that wouldn't irritate it. I wore leggings for my first calf tattoo, which worked out fine, but it'll probably be too hot for those. I'm having a hard time finding something like linen or bamboo pants that doesn't look awful and cost a hundred dollars. I'm a bit fashioned-challenged, though.

In the summer I generally wear cotton-y skirts after leg tattoos!

Some of those MC Hammer trousers that all the young things seem to be wearing - I think they're called harem pants. Are those the fitted-at-ankle ones referred to here? I was deeply sceptical at first but I think I might like them now, and they'd be ideal for healing a leg piece in summer - cool and loose.

@EmmaB - they are not as big as the harem pants from last year, they are more slim. I don't know what they are called - all I know is the pants look bad on me. I'd totally wear them if I could, they look really comfortable and I love all the patterns.

Oh yeah maxi skirts on short ladies are tough, although what I like about maxi skirts is they are basically like wearing PJs only they seem fancy. On your calf-though any wide-leggish pant should be ok, and yes, boho cotton wide-leg pants seem to be everywhere at the moment!

It's going to be on my calf so maybe I should invest in some maxi skirts - though it's hard to find ones that don't swallow you when you're 5'1". I'll check out H & M too. Thanks everyone!

Try ModCloth.com for the skirts, they have a lot of longer length dresses that are flattering on a variety of body types (check the reviews too):

Unique Skirts for Women | ModCloth

This one is out of stock right now but I have it and love it, longer and very comfy:

Porch Swing Dance Skirt | Mod Retro Vintage Skirts | ModCloth.com

Try ModCloth.com for the skirts, they have a lot of longer length dresses that are flattering on a variety of body types (check the reviews too):

Unique Skirts for Women | ModCloth

This one is out of stock right now but I have it and love it, longer and very comfy:

Porch Swing Dance Skirt | Mod Retro Vintage Skirts | ModCloth.com

Some of this stuff is unbelievably cute! However, the high-waisted popcorn bikini is, um, NOT! O_o

Oh my god, those are horrible. It kinda looks like you're wearing an anatomical illustration of ovaries.

More seriously, my friend got a life-ruining, seemingly incurable case of carpal tunnel and god knows what else from working in the shipping dept. of ModCloth, so I don't buy from them now. I imagine a good deal of warehouses are as bad, though. (And H & M has its own set of serious problems. I hope one day to be able to buy ethically-sourced clothing without a hassle, but that's another discussion...)