Relationships and tattoos

gougetheeyes

There's a reason I'm married to a tattooer.

I can get whatever the fuck I wanted tattooed on me, and he's not gonna blink an eye, and vice versa.

I can't believe there's chicks who get jealous of a tattoo of a lady. That's just.... stupid? I don't know, seems super insecure to me. It's a fucking tattoo. It's not a person. I don't get it. My dude had his ex's initial tattooed (S) and just turned it into a dollar sign. I don't give one tiny shit about it either and never have. He's got lots of lady heads too. I'm 100% sure he wouldn't care if I got a man pin up either. I mean, my dude got a huge rib piece that features a blonde girl with huge tits and short shorts riding a wolf's tongue. In case you don't know, I'm brunette, no big fake tits, and I never ever wear short shorts. Do I care? No. Does it mean he secretly wants to fuck blonde chicks with huge tits? No. Does it mean that the tattooer made an awesome tattoo and gave the girl blonde hair because it worked better with the tattoo? Yes.

Sorry for the mini rant but, if you don't like tattoos or people with 'too many' tattoos, don't get involved with a someone who has one cause there's a good chance it'll turn into more.

OR

Date whoever makes you feel good and not give a shit about their tattoos cause it really doesn't matter.

URSULA ANVIL! I agree but it becomes less black and white when you're not with a tattooer. I don't think she was jealous, more nervous about me getting covered and also spending money.. but there was definitely something slightly cutting or insecure from her end (I felt at least) if she'd make a comment. As far as just getting tattooed, it sounds like you've got the perfect relationship when it comes to that! But it's not always as simple for the rest of us. Not everyone is gonna totally get it, just like anything. Hasn't stopped me from anything except getting my hands and/or neck tattooed, which has proven to be a wise choice.

Well, I'm pretty sure my tattoo session will lead to a break up. I can't be with anyone who is going to tell me that I am getting tattooed "too fast" "too much" or "I dont like that".

Especially when she has told me that i have no right to say anything about anything she wants to do (not that I WANT that, I DONT). Cant live on Double Standard Avenue.

Tattoos last longer than relationships.

Well, I'm pretty sure my tattoo session will lead to a break up. I can't be with anyone who is going to tell me that I am getting tattooed "too fast" "too much" or "I dont like that".

Especially when she has told me that i have no right to say anything about anything she wants to do (not that I WANT that, I DONT). Cant live on Double Standard Avenue.

Tattoos last longer than relationships.

Wow, holy shit dude. At least Double Standard Avenue intersects with Dodge a Bullet Lane and Better-Now-Than-a-Year-From-Now Blvd. I'm sorry to hear that but if something like that is going to come between you guys....

LOL, cool...I think the problem is that I want it on the front of my shoulder...which is an area she will see when we are making sweet sweet love (I laughed while I typed that, in my defense)...hmmmm. I think that is part of the issue as well.

I should be interesting to see what I end up with today. I totally appreciate your input man.

funny, I have a skull on the inside of my shoulder, a sexy senorita on one side of my chest and a reaper with tits on the other side of my chest and another skull on my sternum. Never really thought about her having to look at that stuff.

unless you have some ridiculously offensive white power tattoos or some swaztikas or something then i don't see why anyones significant other can be pissed about the tattoos you have on YOUR body. when my girlfriend and i went down to Richmond to get tattooed i didn't really know what i was going to get. i ended up getting an Owen Jensen piece on my arm.. which happened to be a gorilla holding up a naked woman.... she loves it!

funny, I have a skull on the inside of my shoulder, a sexy senorita on one side of my chest and a reaper with tits on the other side of my chest and another skull on my sternum. Never really thought about her having to look at that stuff.

I never did either. I think I will go back to NOT thinking about it. :cool:

Off topic: @ David Flores a new brewery close to me is starting to can their brews in the next month or two, we will need a beer exchange!

I never did either. I think I will go back to NOT thinking about it. :cool:

Off topic: @ David Flores a new brewery close to me is starting to can their brews in the next month or two, we will need a beer exchange!

For sure, I have a couple new canned IPA's I would like you to try as well. I am not sure if I still have your address, so if you could PM me i could get this exchange started sooner than later.

I think my influence has started to rub off on my wife. When we met I had one tattoo and shortly after I had another. After that, there was a brief break in time, I got another, thats when she got her first. (a small one) Then a few years down the road I got 2 more in 2 weeks. Then a few years later I start my sleeve and she loved the look of the sleeve and wanted one too. So my sleeve is now complete and hers is about 2-3 sessions away from completion :) I know that she is thinking of getting more in the future. I have my next appointment coming up in 2 weeks LOL

I will admit my wife was a little crazy while she was pregnant and she hated the whole experience. In the end I got the tattoo I wanted, and who knows what she was really mad about at the time. I don't think I have ever heard her bring up the issue of money in regards to tattoos, we have always had separate accounts for spending money so what we do with money we earn is none of each others concerns for the most part. If she did ever bring it up, I don't think it would last long after I added up all the money she spends on MAC makeup and shoes my tattoos would pail in comparision.

I don't think it would last long after I added up all the money she spends on MAC makeup and shoes my tattoos would pail in comparision.

Same here. I think her shoe collection far outstrips what I've spent on tattoos.

At the moment she has no tattoos. This Christmas she should have a fully outlined backpiece, whole back and thighs.

That'll be interesting... The shoe'll be on the other foot. Or whatever.

Same here. I think her shoe collection far outstrips what I've spent on tattoos.

At the moment she has no tattoos. This Christmas she should have a fully outlined backpiece, whole back and thighs.

That'll be interesting... The shoe'll be on the other foot. Or whatever.

No tattoo's to full back piece, good girl...

My girlfiend had two tattoos when she was 16 that she has since had removed, she likes me with tattoos and still thinks tattoos are cool but does not want anymore herself. The only tattoo choice i have made thus far that she didn't like was a wolf, so one day when she pissis me off ill go get a great big one somewhere!

I didn't have tattoos when I was dating my last girlfriend. My current lady interest is supportive of my interest in them, and has two tattoos of her own, but I have yet to convert her to the world of quality tattooing. I don't think she's really interested in getting anymore...

When I met my husband I didn't have any tattoos, although it was always something that interested me. Before we got married I stared getting tattooed. He really does not like me having tattoos but it has now become a massive part of my life and it's hard to get him to understand how important it is to me. It's difficult because I can understand that if you do not like tattoos it really does change your outward appearence and I feel torn between pursuing my interest (i'd go so far as to say passion) or falling out with my husband. So far I have been gently pushing my limits and just gradually adding new additions over time, I am by no means heavily tattooed although I dread the day when he turns round and says enough is enough - I really don't think I could ever promise to not have any more tattoos, it would be heartbreaking. I am hoping that he is mellowing over time and gradually coming round to the idea that this is something I love.

It's interesting to hear everyone else's ideas and thoughts on their relationships past and present. For me if a guy had tattoos it would be a plus but on the other hand my husband has no tattoos and I love him more than anything and could never imagine being with anyone else. I think the most important thing for me is the person on the inside. :)

We are living parallel lives! In my case it may be a control thing on her part, the fact that I do what I want whether she likes it or not. I also got back into weight lifting a few years back (can't hang a big tat on a normal chest can we?) and am in better shape than I have been in for years. So she has issues with me changing as well. I may slow it down for a while (save up to get my foo-dog done over late this year...). I could see her point if I was doing something destructive and she is an overall fan of my artwork, which is all good quality and in good taste.

CG

I just didn't talk about it as much so when I went to get tattooed I'd just say, "Hey, next week I'm going to get tattooed, just a heads up," and that was that. A lot less, "I'm gonna do this, and this, and that, and maybe go here, etc." I was starting to annoy myself anyway. But get what you get man, don't cave. If your lady is going to take issue with your tattoos it's time for a serious conversation. Communication is pretty key. As long as you're not spending your rent money on tattoos (guilty) or forgoing groceries for tattoos (ok, also guilty) you should be able to talk about why it's bothering her. Who knows, maybe she's just waiting for you to say, "Hey, come with me and get something!"

I give my wife lots of notice, show her sketches and she knows I visit my artist now and then just to BS and go over designs. My last session a few weeks back, I told her twice and had it marked on the calendar... "5/3.. tat appt @ 6:30". It kind of went in one ear and out the other. The day I went she acted all sorts of surprised and had a cow when I came back with 2 tats... how much did that cost you.. I say $250 and she says bullshit... but I told her the truth but did omit the $40 tip I gave to the artist. I always leave it open for her to go with me when I get inked to pick out something for herself. She does know my artist anyway.

CG

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a new tactic now, when it comes to booking a tattoo appointment and having to tell my other half. I start leaving tattoo magazines or books laying around the house where I know he will see them lol that way he knows something is coming at some point and it's not such a suprise when I eventually do tell him! I might start putting it on the calendar too like Coloured Guy too :D