Hello everyone!

tattooscience

Hey tattoo lovers!

I am, as all of you, a tattoo enthusiast.

But there may be difference between me and you. As dermatologist I am mostly interested in your tattoo aftercare habits. I am not here to discuss the "right or wrong" way of doing it. Obviously there's no one answer to that. I am here to read about your experiences and to gather valuable information. I hope i am on the right place ;)

Cheers!

@tattooscience, if you're going to come here wanting to get people to take a survey to do market research on an aftercare product you're developing, just come out and say it instead of being secretive about it on private message. As somebody who has great results healing tattoos using the time-proven method of soap, water, time, and patience, I'm going to say that there's no actual need for any new aftercare methods, and attempts to develop them have less to do with offering a better way of healing, and more to do with people with a tenuous at best connection to tattooing trying to find a way to cash in on it. Further, I'm going to say that coming here with the intention not of being part of the community of tattoo enthusiasts and artists here, but rather treating this place as resource to "gather valuable information" that in the end only furthers your shallow self-interest, is corrosive to the community a lot of us have worked hard over the course of years to build. I can only speak for myself here but I don't think you have found the right place.

@Graeme

I was trying to be respectful to you and the community, that's why I asked you ,by private message, to let me publish my survey - to make sure if this is even allowed here. I didn't try to be secretive, I only asked you for your permission, before i go public.

For my whole adult life I am a big tattoo enthusiast. But it's true, I joined this forum primarily to do a research - NOT a MARKET RESEARCH on an aftercare product me and my team are developing, but about general tattoo aftercare experiences of community, to see if we are on the right path.

I am not trying to promote anything, not even discuss about right/wrong way of taking care about your tattoos. We all agree there is not a single answer to this.

I am sorry if I offended you in any way. That was not my intention.

So, if i understand correctly, you won't let me do my research?

Best regards!

M.J

Trader Joe's has a moisturizing cream that's $3.99 for 16 oz. When my tattoos are in the dry stage of healing, a little of this and they heal beautifully. I've been using the same bottle for the past few years/several tattoos. No need for any fancy tattoo-specific aftercare.

@tattooscience, if you're going to come here wanting to get people to take a survey to do market research on an aftercare product you're developing, just come out and say it instead of being secretive about it on private message. As somebody who has great results healing tattoos using the time-proven method of soap, water, time, and patience, I'm going to say that there's no actual need for any new aftercare methods, and attempts to develop them have less to do with offering a better way of healing, and more to do with people with a tenuous at best connection to tattooing trying to find a way to cash in on it. Further, I'm going to say that coming here with the intention not of being part of the community of tattoo enthusiasts and artists here, but rather treating this place as resource to "gather valuable information" that in the end only furthers your shallow self-interest, is corrosive to the community a lot of us have worked hard over the course of years to build. I can only speak for myself here but I don't think you have found the right place.

Wow, the appropriate words that accurately address this post would likely get me banned. I'll just cut to the chase and ask, why do you feel the need to act like a douche all the time? Perhaps you should keep your misery to yourself instead of trying to bring the world down to your level.

Is this type of bullying is acceptable here in LST?

And to @tattooscience, don't take his unwarranted attack personally. It appears by your posts that you've done nothing wrong and are clearly not the problem here.

@Graeme: by your posts I assumed you were a moderator here, that's why I asked you.

@TrixieFaux, @pidjones: Could you please finish my survey about your tattoo aftercare experiences here: http://goo.gl/forms/J8TXd6L8Gi

@The Tig: Thank you. The last thing I wanted is to do anything against the rules of LST, that's why I asked first. Looks like I asked the wrong person, that's my mistake. I am not taking it personally though, i respect his opinion.

Hope we can all get along with no hard feelings.

Best regards!

Wow, the appropriate words that accurately address this post would likely get me banned. I'll just cut to the chase and ask, why do you feel the need to act like a douche all the time? Perhaps you should keep your misery to yourself instead of trying to bring the world down to your level.

Is this type of bullying is acceptable here in LST?

I'm a fantastic poster and I have contributed a lot to this forum. I get that tattoos mean different things to different people, but to me, part of the forum's motto of GET GOOD TATTOOS has to do with resisting the tendency to turn tattooing into another cheap and disposable consumer subculture, and somebody coming here saying that they are primarily interested in using this forum for research into an aftercare product that absolutely nobody needs is part of that. If somebody comes here wanting to learn and talk about tattoos, whether they are thinking about their first, or are well on their way to a full suit, and is interested in the community here, they are absolutely welcome here. If they're just here because they have a product to sell they can move along.

@tattooscience...great results healing tattoos using the time-proven method of soap, water, time, and patience...

Yeah, I'm with Graeme on this method...keep it clean and let your body do its thang. Keep it simple.

All these fancy tattoo aftercare products...lol...the best results I've received is when my tattooer slapped a depends diaper over the fresh tattoo, leave the bandage on for a few hours or overnight, and told me leave it alone. Maybe use a pea-drop of lubriderm after a few days of letting it air dry which worked great for a few years and then it started giving more burning/itchiness, likely from the lanolin, so I switched to other generic brands with least amount of ingredients.

I've come to understand from my experiences that tattoo healing results are a function of how the tattoo was put into the skin, not what you put on the tattoo afterwards. Aftercare products are irritants in my opinion.

I started doing your survey but further down into the questions really alienated me as someone who has "more than 5 tattoos"...not really any 'none of the above' choices. Do people really think this far into their tattoo aftercare?

Hmm I wish this tattoo-goop had a nicer flowery scent! Have we all turned into a bunch of wimps?

Promoting dry healing doesn't really do much for the aftercare product industry ;)

Welcome anyway @tattooscience hope you find what you're looking for but moreso find some stuff you're not actively looking for. That is the great thing about this forum.

@Graeme I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL!

Me doing a research about tattoo aftercare won't hurt tattoo society, neither this forum. And i can't imagine how it can hurt you?

@bongsau : great post! thank you for that!

Aftercare products can make a lot of difference in my opinion. You found it yourself after using a product with lanolin.

But hey, you found a way of tattoo aftercare that suits you the best and that's really cool!

About scent :) ... the scent is important to some people. Specially if they are taking care of their first tattoo. They will always link a scent of a product to that period of their life, when they had their first tattoo done. I bet you still remember the scent of a first pussy you ate :D lol

Cheers!

@TrixieFaux, @pidjones: Could you please finish my survey about your tattoo aftercare experiences here: http://goo.gl/forms/J8TXd6L8Gi

No, because it is at least once a week that I see a request like this on one of the forums that I visit, always from someone newly joined, to fill out some survey. Usually it is from a lazy college student that is supposed to be doing research. Sometimes it is from a commercial venture. I give you the same response. Please - do your own work and don't ask forum users to do it for you!

Now, this may sound as I'm being a douche, but as I said - it happens weekly (I'm on too many forums, I'm sure).

I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL!

Maybe not yet.

But then why are you here to "gather valuable information"? Surely it's just so you can better heal your own tattoos or make recommendations for your friends and family, right? That's why you took the time to read and comment on the numerous after-care threads already here, right?

If being skeptical of some random user's veiled probes into a subculture is "bullying" then I'm glad this forum has some big ol meanies.