I would like some tips on the best tattoo books..

looked thru iron will when i was at skull n sword but dident buy it!

so im ordering it as soon as i afford it!

also looking forward to the Bloodwork book from Adrian and ATAK,been following the blog and it looks awsome..

which books is a must for you?

Yeah that Bloodwork book of back pieces this time should be something else .

I think the Tattoo Time series is the cornerstone of my collection ,these probably get the most use of my stuff and won't cripple you

financially .Don't let their age fool u either these babies are still better than most today .

Other books i like about a number of artists are :We are Tattoo -put out by the Tattoo Burst magazine (Japan).

Underway is the only way -by SOG

Nihon Dentou vol 1,2,and 3 -again by Tattoo Burst highlighting Japanese artists this time with amazing photography .

Tattooing the Invisible Man -works of D.E Hardy

Theres so many more but these are my best ones that don't do your bank in

Iron Will is amazing! I also recently bought "these old blue arms" about Amund Dietzel which i highly recommend. The Bob Roberts book "in a world of comprimise, I don't" is next on my wishlist.

Amazon has some great deals on some books too. I bought "the family business" amongst others there really cheap.

Oh, and don't forget Hardy's tattoo time series!

I'm with you on the bloodworks book that's in the making. I'm ordering the "sleeves" book as soon as I can afford it.

• 7 months later...

I picked up my copy of Bloodwork: Bodies on Sunday. It's two volumes and weighs 27 pounds. It's also the nicest tattoo book I've ever seen. It features stunning photography of 119 backpieces and bodysuits by an absolutely ridiculous list of artists. If you are at all able to get your hands on a copy, you will not be disappointed.

I picked up my copy of Bloodwork: Bodies on Sunday. It's two volumes and weighs 27 pounds. It's also the nicest tattoo book I've ever seen. It features stunning photography of 119 backpieces and bodysuits by an absolutely ridiculous list of artists. If you are at all able to get your hands on a copy, you will not be disappointed.

I hve been eyeing up the bloodwork series but the cost is killing me. Is it worth it?

@hogg Are you pictured in sleeves or body?

I would love to order a book like bloodwork, but no credit card. Normally I'm fine with it but it's ordering online from the States or Europe that will make life great, and get very expensive casue I've been eyeing stuff for years and have a large list. So maybe it's a good thing the bank rejected me a few years ago when I tried to get one here in Japan.

the mammoth book of tattoos by Lal Hardy

lost art from tattooings past by Jason Schroder

classic flash in 5 bold colors by Tilt

Revisited a tribute to flash from the past by Bert Krak & Steve Bolts

Amazon.com: Classic Flash 2: In 5 Bold Colors (9780764338670): Jeromey Mcculloch: Books

$33 bucks for both volumes is a steal. I use these books a lot for reference along with the Revisited: A Tribute to Flash from the Past. The Mammoth Book of Tattoos I find useful when someone mentions a name and I can't quite place their tattoos or want to show a quick representation of someone's work to a friend or client. Juxtapoz Tattoo is also a good book for this and it looks like you can order part 2 for the same low price of 19.77. Having Prime really helps too on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Juxtapoz Tattoo (9781584232889): Henry Lewis, Roger Gastman: Books

I really want to get the Spider Murphy Flash Book (Maybe Santa will get it for me)

Recent books on specific artists I really enjoyed were Iron Will by Grime and the Shige book published by SOG.

Ones which dealt with various artists, Bloodwork:Bodies & Sleeves by Adrian Lee, Underway Is the Only Way by Grime and Horitaka, and Tattoo Artist: A Collection Of Narratives by Jill Mandelbaum. All excellent. There was also another book published by Adrian Lee before the Bloodwork books which rocks, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

I'm trying to figure out a way I can get my hands on Tomas Tomas's new book too.

• 6 months later...

just starting to buy some tattoo books Ive pre-ordered the zeiss project, getting I love tattoos for my birthday and wanting a few more starter books.

classic designs in 5 bold colors by Jeromey Mcculloch seems to be a start

and military designs by spider webb seem a good place to start. I am just looking for informative or nice to look at books from a " guy who likes tattoos and getting tattoed" mindset

While you can nab any of the series of Tattootime books , over any I own these are the ones I'd be least inclined to part with .They are like magic each time I look I seem to pick something new up .

It looks like Hardy Marks is going to put out a 30th Anniversary printing of all of these later this year. It should make a nice Christmas gift to myself.

• 3 weeks later...