little bumps under 6month old tattoo

remindsmeofyou

I got a tattoo on my forearm 6 months ago. Just recently, I've started developing small bumps under the ink. About the size of pimples. Not painful, but a little tender to the touch. Not all over, just scattered. The tattoo was done in a reputable shop and healed without any problems.

I tried to diagnose myself via Google, which is never a good idea!! Found info that suggested it could be scarring or an infection or an allergy.

I'm probably freaking myself out unnecessarily (reading medical stuff on the internet will do that too you!) and hopefully it's something simple!

So, a question to the amazing tattooists and collectors who frequent this site - do you know what this is? And how can I treat it?

Thanks!

You're freaking yourself out. More than likely it's just in-grown hairs. If your arm feels hot to touch (compare to other arm) and is swollen and tender, then you are looking at an infection. Scarring is possible depending on technique used, but again chances are no. If the bumps get bigger and painful then you'll need to get the hair out before an infection does set in. Alot of times they grow out on there own, others you may have to pop like a pimple. If you have a friend with good hands and great vision you can even use a very small needle to catch the hair and pull it out. If you do feel that you need to see a doctor, then call a Dermatologist. Ask them how they feel about tattoos before you even go, some of them just wanna tell you nothing more than the tattoo is the problem and it needs to be removed. They're full of crap 99% of the time. Find one that appreciates tattoos.

If your arm feels hot to touch (compare to other arm) and is swollen and tender, then you are looking at an infection.

also if there are little red lines coming from the area. ive had this experience :(

if none of these symptoms are present, i wouldnt worry about an infection.

try taking some claritin/benedryl to settle a possible allergy?

remindsmeofyou, I still get tiny whitehead pimples on occasion under new healed tattoos. Usually just on my arms, though, for whatever reason. Used to make me nuts but that's what yours sound like and if so, they'll go away. If they're sizable bumps and they hurt, get someone to take a look.

remindsmeofyou, I still get tiny whitehead pimples on occasion under new healed tattoos. Usually just on my arms, though, for whatever reason. Used to make me nuts but that's what yours sound like and if so, they'll go away. If they're sizable bumps and they hurt, get someone to take a look.

i get these too sometimes

happens to me too, but they never hurt to touch

Sounds like what happened to me.....is the color that's giving you a hard time happen to be RED? If so it's called Red Rash and it will go away.....seems there is a lot of "shell fish" in some red inks and it can cause a reaction like you're talking about.....mine went away without any issue after 2 months or so

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/24/2011 at 11:06 AM, remindsmeofyou said:

I got a tattoo on my forearm 6 months ago. Just recently, I've started developing small bumps under the ink. About the size of pimples. Not painful, but a little tender to the touch. Not all over, just scattered. The tattoo was done in a reputable shop and healed without any problems.

I tried to diagnose myself via Google, which is never a good idea!! Found info that suggested it could be scarring or an infection or an allergy.

I'm probably freaking myself out unnecessarily (reading medical stuff on the internet will do that too you!) and hopefully it's something simple!

So, a question to the amazing tattooists and collectors who frequent this site - do you know what this is? And how can I treat it?

Thanks!

I have over the last 2 days gotten these little bumps/pimples on one area of my tattoo.my tattoo is 7 months old and done by a well known reputable shop only accused since I was in the sun on sunday and Monday I wore sunlotion and they appears Thursday can anyone help I am freaking out a little 

• 1 year later...

I know the original post is 7 years old, but I’m having a similar issue.  My doctor thinks it’s a delayed reaction to the ink or hypertrophic scarring that’s showing and will go down... Its very alarming to see these bumps all over my tattoos!  They only show in the line work within 5 of my black tattoos (feet, fingers, arm and thigh tattoos which are 1-4 years old).  Not ingrown hairs, not razor burn.  Not painful but a little sore to the touch and maybe it’s in my head but they seem to be getting a little worse... going on approx 2 weeks now.  Benedryl does nothing... wondering if anyone has any insight?

2F037EC3-4A2C-467A-80B5-F4E201B68463.jpeg

FBDC85A7-E7CE-41DF-847E-6E1B878A1B8A.jpeg

BA6AAD6B-145E-49F1-A422-F71F9A473285.jpeg

Edited by JessicaRae

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep getting a bunch of little bumps on mine too. I had it done at a shop in CO about 8 months ago, and ever since it healed keep getting a raised patch of them (but nowhere else on my skin or my other tattoos). One thing I'm noticing here is that all these tattoos in your photos are all black, and so is mine. Could it be a reaction to a specific ink? I have a pretty large all black piece from a different shop in SD and it doesn't happen on that one at all.

Edited by abracadaver

• 1 month later...

i got my tattoo while down range in Afghanistan by a fellow soldier conditions its Afghanistan so yea less then desirable but he did everything a shop would have done back in the states just in a room we built with a lot of dirt and god knows what else but i occasionally get the same bump as u   @jessicaRae all my tats are black as well tbh i want to believe its just the way the artists put it on the skin maybe went to hard or a weird angle or who knows what but i noticed everyone having this issue is with all black ink tats and only think i can think is it has to be the way the artists used the gun on our skin or else everyone in the world would have issues with their all black tats right? the bumps come and go a little painful to the touch like pimple or ingrown hair about to burst you know sorry no pics phones dead but if your really concerned get it looked at by a medical professional take care  

• 1 month later...

I too, began getting little bumps in certain parts of the outlines and main parts of the ink. The "pimples" have appeared in 9 month old and 5 year old ink. Never had this problem, everything has healed fine. I recently started a new job that requires alot of physical work and I sweat profusely. The bumps look like pimples, they don't itch, they're not bothersome, they're not even noticeable unless I look really hard and run my fingers over them. After researching online and not finding anything except for "infections" and other things to be concerned about, I'm thinking it's more about sweat pores. Since they only appeared after starting this job, this has to be the only reason. If anyone has anything to add, I'd like to know. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have one that's looking like a warr.  I work for doctors and she wants to treat with liquid nitrogen.  I'm fully healed.  It's about 6 weeks old.  Not my first tattoo by a long stretch.  I've been putting coconut oil on it.  My professional artist suggested vitamin e oil.  He didnt know what it was either.  Could it be a wart?  Side of my forearm.  Pretty weird.  Will it damage my tattoo if I let the doc freeze it off? 

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 11:07 PM, JessicaRae said:

I know the original post is 7 years old, but I’m having a similar issue.  My doctor thinks it’s a delayed reaction to the ink or hypertrophic scarring that’s showing and will go down... Its very alarming to see these bumps all over my tattoos!  They only show in the line work within 5 of my black tattoos (feet, fingers, arm and thigh tattoos which are 1-4 years old).  Not ingrown hairs, not razor burn.  Not painful but a little sore to the touch and maybe it’s in my head but they seem to be getting a little worse... going on approx 2 weeks now.  Benedryl does nothing... wondering if anyone has any insight?

I have recently started seeing these in the black ink on some of my tattoos but only the ones I’ve had in the last 4-5 years. Any older than that have no issues. And an exception to one on my foot that I’ve had in the last few years that isn’t bothered. It’s mainly one big one I have on my arm that has lots of colors but they are only in the black ink. They don’t look like pimples, can’t be popped, and their size hasn’t changed since I’ve noticed them. Sometimes, they itch but not often. I’ve been thinking of seeing my dermatologist about it because I’m not done getting tattoos lol.

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 4:07 AM, JessicaRae said:

Ever find problem ive the same thing