Overcharged for time - advice

cycleographer

Guys, I'm making a point that the only time I felt even remotely ripped off was when I basically ripped myself off by assuming Chad was going to be a dick. Kind of just a funny story about my assumptions more than a complaint against him. I've also said repeatedly that I didn't care and would do it again if I had to. :34_rolling_eyes:

Apparently me feeling like I ripped myself off because I thought someone would be a lot less cool than they were is grounds for a bashing. Because somehow that's a negative thing against the artist. It's the only time I've ever came in right at the upper limit and I have no one to blame but myself, kind of just a funny story more than anything else but somehow it turned into me ripping an artist I greatly admire.

Whatever. So much unnecessary drama in this thread...

On 06/09/2016 at 0:18 PM, marley mission said:

@Synesthesia time to let it go

A friend of mine was in the car with his son, and his son farted and was embarrassed.  My friend said, oh, that's okay, sometimes you just have to let it go.  His son looked perplexed for a minute and said, "IS THAT WHAT THE SONG IS ABOUT??!!"  (Little boy, no volume control.)

In other news I am totally happy with what I paid for my Chad tattoo because the cost-per-use is extremely low.

Edited by polliwog

• 1 month later...

A lot of the issues stated here seem to be caused by that joint problem area of "assumptions" and "communication breakdown." I always always always talk to my clients before we sit down about what their budget is. To be fair, I don't have a big name or a reputation that precedes me (to the best of my knowledge) like some folks do. However, I still like to have that talk beforehand to forego any hurt feelings at the end.  I don't think it's terribly unreasonable for someone on the other end of the transaction to initiate that conversation either.  In tattooing as in most things, I've found that thorough communication almost always spares uncomfortable situations and hurt feelers. 

In this specific instance, I would let it go. If you're really upset about it (which it doesn't sound like you are) then I would bring it up if you plan on going back to them again before you sit down, but only if you can think of a tactful way to bring it up.  A friend of mine would frequently get tattooed by a Big Name in California, and the last time he got his back worked on was charged for four hours work, but about an hour and a half of that was purportedly taken up with smoke breaks, a consultation, and a personal phone call.  When he brought that up to him during the next session things didn't go so smoothly and he was recommended to have someone else finish his back if he didn't like the way things were.  Now, that is an isolated and second-hand incident, but it's the best example I have of the worst-case-scenario.